Author Topic: Rebodied Cars  (Read 3237 times)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Rebodied Cars
« on: October 10, 2018, 05:07:19 PM »
Nothing beats a classic!

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
Re: Rebodied Cars
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 07:21:36 PM »
Good piece
Almost tells the bad guys too much......
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 08:54:51 PM »
Another reason to have an expert inspect a car before purchase.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »
I was surfing CL the other day and a guy was openly selling a handful of titles ???

He said, "get that title for that 40's Ford you've been needing"??

He said he has open titles from the 20's-40's.

Lol, isn't that totally illegal?  I'm surprised CL didn't cancel it.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 05:27:13 PM »
Craigslist is pretty sketchy at best and before I turn over lots of money for my first Shelby, I will have it completely inspected by a concours judge, if anyone is near enough to do it or have another expert in our club look at it. I do NOT want a rebodied Shelby. I'll wait for the genuine article. I had one guy on Craigslist write me about my car I have for sale. I told him I thought he was a scammer and he replied he wasn't, so I finally called him back, only to have no answer or reply or e-mail.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 01:25:07 AM »
Craigslist is pretty sketchy at best and before I turn over lots of money for my first Shelby, I will have it completely inspected by a concours judge, if anyone is near enough to do it..................................

IMHO don't let location (car or person looking at the car for you) be a deterrent to getting the best help you can find. The extra few hundred it will likely cost is a small investment to getting a complete as possible current condition report and a solid understanding from which to base your negotiations and or purchase - or non-purchased however it works out. ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 09:40:17 AM »
Dont be convinced any person, no matter how knowledgeable, can assure you a car is not a rebody.

Especially a restored car. They can help you make a decision but there are no guarantees

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »
Craigslist is pretty sketchy at best and before I turn over lots of money for my first Shelby, I will have it completely inspected by a concours judge, if anyone is near enough to do it..................................

IMHO don't let location (car or person looking at the car for you) be a deterrent to getting the best help you can find. The extra few hundred it will likely cost is a small investment to getting a complete as possible current condition report and a solid understanding from which to base your negotiations and or purchase - or non-purchased however it works out. ::)
Dont be convinced any person, no matter how knowledgeable, can assure you a car is not a rebody.

Especially a restored car. They can help you make a decision but there are no guarantees

+1 +1

There are people as good at faking a car as there are honest people restoring them.  My suggestion is to always educate yourself with the help of the knowledgable folks on this forum and club. In the end though the decision to lay down your hard earned cash is yours. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »

+2

I have shared this link before, it's a few years old but fascinating. Read it while at the tire shop and subscribed to the magazine that afternoon.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2008/08/Just-a-Second---1968-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z-28/1676538.html

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 04:10:55 PM »
Excellent article Michael !!.... 8)

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 08:02:24 PM »
Neat piece on the Z-vertible
Very cool to be “out of the closet “ on his fake z-vert.

That said,....just like Barney the Dinosaur,... my 67 RS/SS convertible is real and it’s purple.  Don’t ever tell a kid that Barney isn’t real....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI