Author Topic: power steering issue  (Read 2155 times)

prototypefan

• View Profile
power steering issue
« on: October 10, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
I'm on a GT350 tour in VT enjoying the spectacular fall colours but have an issue with my car

The power steering feels:
stiff (harder than normal to operate)
sticky (sort of locks in any position, then moves when asked but with a sticky feel)
falls off centre (when making any turn...especially at highway speeds....it feels like it falls off centre and then makes the turn....much more abrupt than normal)
The car is much more nervous to drive. It has radial tires so it's not the F60-15 bias ply grabbing every groove in the road.

Fluid level is fine

Is this:
pump?
ram?
steering box?
or all of the above.....I can't imagine all three would fail at the same time
It feels to me like the ram or steering box

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: power steering issue
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 10:39:58 PM »
I'm on a GT350 tour in VT enjoying the spectacular fall colours but have an issue with my car

The power steering feels:
stiff (harder than normal to operate)
sticky (sort of locks in any position, then moves when asked but with a sticky feel)
falls off centre (when making any turn...especially at highway speeds....it feels like it falls off centre and then makes the turn....much more abrupt than normal)
The car is much more nervous to drive. It has radial tires so it's not the F60-15 bias ply grabbing every groove in the road.

Fluid level is fine

Is this:
pump?
ram?
steering box?
or all of the above.....I can't imagine all three would fail at the same time
It feels to me like the ram or steering box

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Sounds more likely the power control valve to me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67gt500

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 02:42:09 AM »
I have a similar problem, but at low speeds.. I have a rebuilt control valve and a rebuilt pump and all new lines.. Spoke to the guys at Chockostang and they said it is the steering box.. i have a replacement, but have not had time to replace it..
Let us know how you get on..

prototypefan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 07:58:19 AM »
Thanks Bob and 67GT500.

We did adjust the steering box, it took a little of the slop out but had no real effect on the sticky feel. 67.....I have the same feel at low speeds as at highway.

My preference is for original parts......I see Jim Cowles sells rebuilt original boxes....one of the guys on the rally has a Flaming River box and swears by it, the entire unit is new.

Thanks again for the input.....I'll report back tonight with any new developments.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 08:50:57 AM »
If the chassis bracket comes loose it will give similar symptoms.

Some times if you yank on the bracket it will feel tight but really isn't. The only comprehensive way to test it is to disconnect the ram from it, THEN test for tightness.

There are factory install "nut certs" in the chassis. That essentially is a large steel pop-rivet which is threaded in the center.

They even when new could come loose and if there ever were headers on the car with the extended bracket, that puts even more stress on them.

It's a very common issue and often overlooked and mis-diagnosed.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 01:29:12 PM »
If you have never had the steering box service that needs to be on the list of things to rebuild regardless of if it is the cause of the current problem ,contributing to the current problem or not related. After 50 years the box needs rebuilt. The grease inside has hardened and not lubricating as needed . No need to re invent the wheel .Get the genuine box rebuilt it will work at least as good as the flaming river box . Sure a flaming river box will feel better when first installed compared to a worn out original box. Compare apples to apples .Compare a fresh rebuilt genuine original box to a fresh aftermarket flaming river box . You will be surprised. The Ford box wins the comparison most of the time and if it is not a clear win it is a toss up. As much trouble as it is to get out especially on a big block don't make a wrong choice and put in a after market box in when the original box rebuilt is just as good. The work of putting in and taking out is such a hassle you will be less likely to fix the mistake if you put in a after market box and realize your mistake (driving another car with a proper rebuilt box and front suspension).  Just my opinion .Others may have different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 02:42:57 PM »
also a good and simple check, is the idler arm. I've seen them get rusty and create issues also. phred