News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Original Tail light wiring butt connectors

Started by Bossbill, October 11, 2018, 08:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bossbill

Does anyone sell small quantities of the original Shelby taillight wiring butt connectors?
These connectors are semi-clear with blue stripes running lengthwise on both sides. See pic.

I'd like to restore my taillight wiring to original as it uses these.

These are very difficult to buy other than in the 50 pack for well over $100!
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

roddster

This might be the right place to define a few things (kind off half remembering these things from the former forum):
1) I don't think they make the clear w/blue tracer butt splices anymore.
2) Wasn't there a shift during the 67  production where the butt splices turned all blue?  So then is there a date for that?
3)  My car sits inside a bubble (car capsule) which makes it hard to go count.  So, how many splices are needed? Is it 8?  Plus you need a couple of extras in case you missplice a connection (wire slips out)
4)  Then if some of us got together and bought 100, and split them, could that be done?  Ah, do we have a volunteer for this?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on October 17, 2018, 10:34:22 AM
  This might be the right place to define a few things (kind off half remembering these things from the former forum):
1) I don't think they make the clear w/blue tracer butt splices anymore.
2) Wasn't there a shift during the 67  production where the butt splices turned all blue?  So then is there a date for that?
3)  My car sits inside a bubble (car capsule) which makes it hard to go count.  So, how many splices are needed? Is it 8?  Plus you need a couple of extras in case you missplice a connection (wire slips out)
4)  Then if some of us got together and bought 100, and split them, could that be done?  Ah, do we have a volunteer for this?
Very early cars used a all blue which are still used today. The very early cars used all blue butt connectors on the Shelby taillight harness before the plastic tube or later tape was employed to insulate the then soldered splices.That is besides the connection at the Mustang tail light harness.The change over to the clear with blue runner happened very quickly after that . Maybe a couple hundred cars is a guesstimate.  8 of clear with blue runner butt connectors is what was typically used in a later cars. If it had the spiral wrap on the front Amp gauge harness it probably had the funky wiring in the trunk with all the blue butt connectors.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

Thank you.  This information certainly refines some detail.

Bossbill

8? I can't get to 8 on my car.

All of the wiring in my SA made up harness is solder and tape, covered with two different sizes of tube sheathing. Did some cars use butt connectors rather than solder and tape inside the sheath? Hmm, that would get the count to 12.

The SA connection to each side of my Mustang harness is one wire for taillight and one wire for stop/turn. The ground wire to the SA taillight case is the Mustang ground wire with a bare eyelet attached.
So mine has four (4) blue tracer butt splices. What am I missing?

If there is a demand I will buy the 50 pack and sell the rest.
For 4 it would be around $15-20 shipped. 8 is $10 more.
Yes, these are hard to find and they are kinda pricey for a simple butt connector.
It appears these are rated for high radiation use! Yes, really.
Bill

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossbill on October 18, 2018, 02:02:30 PM

All of the wiring in my SA made up harness is solder and tape, covered with two different sizes of tube sheathing. Did some cars use butt connectors rather than solder and tape inside the sheath? Hmm, that would get the count to 12.

The SA connection to each side of my Mustang harness is one wire for taillight and one wire for stop/turn. The ground wire to the SA taillight case is the Mustang ground wire with a bare eyelet attached.

Yes, these are hard to find and they are kinda pricey for a simple butt connector.
Later cars would use 4 on each side in the front to splice in the horn extension on the outboard cars for a total of 8 in the front. Two on each side in the trunk for a total of 4 in the back.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossbill on October 18, 2018, 02:02:30 PM

Yes as I mentioned in reply #2 the very early cars used butt connectors instead of soldered connections . They were solid blue and not the clear with blue stripe on the very early. The harness evolved to the soldered connections but needed insulation which is where first the tubes and then later the wrapped tape insulated the soldered connections.   

Bossbill

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 18, 2018, 03:05:29 PM
Later cars would use 4 on each side in the front to splice in the horn extension on the outboard cars for a total of 8 in the front. Two on each side in the trunk for a total of 4 in the back.
Ok, I was drilled in on the rear since that's the thread title. But you were being complete and included the front. Thanks for the extra detail, Bob.

Since I have inboards on my 01375 car, I have 4 of the Scotchlocks on the front and 4 of the Blue stripes in the rear.

PM your quantity and I'll see if there is enough demand to do this.
We're probably closer to $20 for 4 simply due to envelope and postage and the stupid price the manufacture wants for these. 8 would be around $30. I'm not Amazon!

Bill