News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Cleaning the Stewart - Warner Amperes Gauge

Started by rbarkley, January 26, 2018, 01:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarkley

I am cleaning up and painting the under-dash Stewart-Warner instrument cluster and was wondering if you can clean the inside of the amperes gauge glass?
I removed all the nuts on the back side, but see no way of getting to the glass.   Can you remove the chrome ring rim without breaking the glass or aluminum casing?

Thanks
Ron

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rbarkley on January 26, 2018, 01:53:44 PM
I am cleaning up and painting the under-dash Stewart-Warner instrument cluster and was wondering if you can clean the inside of the amperes gauge glass?
I removed all the nuts on the back side, but see no way of getting to the glass.   Can you remove the chrome ring rim without breaking the glass or aluminum casing?

Thanks
Ron
The short version is that you have to peel back the backside edge of the chrome ring to take it off to clean the face, glass, and or change a damaged trim ring. It is tedious work. I made a fixture to sit the gauge into while I carefully peeled/bent back the backside edge.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rbarkley

Thanks Bob!  That sounds like a lot of work.  I will clean them the best that I can and leave it at that!