News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 428 gt500 block dates

Started by sponge.goob, October 17, 2018, 01:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sponge.goob

I cant seem to search farther back than the beginning of this year, and i know this has been covered to death, but a correct date code for a '67 gt500 428 is generally considered to be within a month of the build date correct? Or most likely about a month prior to build date?

J_Speegle

Quote from: sponge.goob on October 17, 2018, 01:01:21 AM
..............but a correct date code for a '67 gt500 428 is generally considered to be within a month of the build date correct? Or most likely about a month prior to build date?

Sure your referring to the date completed at San Jose.

To that I would say no that is what I've seen and documented over the years. Others may have different opinions :)

Sometimes it works out within 30 days or so  but consider that they have to cool, machine, assemble the block into a full engine, crate, wait for a train car and a train, ship across the country, unload. inventory then move to the line.  Also you will want to look at all dates on the block as well as parts that made up the assembled engine as shipped. Weather, time of year and other factors can often played into the time delay also.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: sponge.goob on October 17, 2018, 01:01:21 AM
I cant seem to search farther back than the beginning of this year, and i know this has been covered to death, but a correct date code for a '67 gt500 428 is generally considered to be within a month of the build date correct? Or most likely about a month prior to build date?
Two dates on the engine . The assembly date which is when all of the parts were put together as a assembly and metal stamped on to the block and the casting date which is when the engine block was cast up at the foundry and is cast into the block in raised letters and numbers . The casting date of the block, heads and all of the other components of the engine are going to be prior to the assembly date of the engine logically. You have to consider the logistics of all of that first. Then the logistics to move the completed assembly across the country and inventoried at the SJ plant in the case of the Shelby and made ready to install into the chassis . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68countrysedan

As the UPS jingle used to go, We Love Logistics.

In the whole issue of casting/assembly dates, has anyone ever researched the logistics of shipping engines/cars from Ford foundries and assembly plants? I've got to believe they had a regular schedule. Or not. Did Ford contact the railroad for a pickup when they had a certain number of assemblies ready to ship? What was their time frame?

FWIW: I was talking to a guy (screen writer of all things) who said he worked in Ford parts logistics, for lack of a better description. This department, in Dearborn, handled all the assembly plant parts requests. One day he a got a call from a pickup assembly plant saying they needed x thousand of brake components to keep the line running.

The guy dutifully called the parts supplier and told them what was needed. Parts place said no can do. Upshot is that he called another supplier to get a order of Galaxie brake components shipped to the assembly plant which apparently were close enough. So besides the goal of keeping the line running, I wonder how that shipment was scheduled.
Note: Consider this strictly anecdotal.

sponge.goob

So what In general are the parameters for caste vs assembly date? A caste date I see can be all over the place depending on what engine was chosen. But then the assembly date would be within that month interval, generally, before actual build date? Or is it really hard to pinpoint due to the hand built nature of 1967s and the lack of vin? Anybody have an example of their own car?

csheff

Where is the assembly date located?

Quote from: sponge.goob on October 18, 2018, 06:31:09 AM
So what In general are the parameters for caste vs assembly date? A caste date I see can be all over the place depending on what engine was chosen. But then the assembly date would be within that month interval, generally, before actual build date? Or is it really hard to pinpoint due to the hand built nature of 1967s and the lack of vin? Anybody have an example of their own car?

This question has been asked several times over the years and I have yet to see anyone give anything more than a puzzle like riddle (study the microfiche for weather patterns, shipping delays, labor unrest, flu season, iron supplies, electrical rates) for an answer.

I will throw out what I believe to be decent date ranges and those more knowledgeable than I can shoot it down or, more likely ignore it.

Engine build date; 2-5 weeks before San Jose assembly date.
Casting dates 3-8 weeks before engine assembly date.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: sponge.goob on October 18, 2018, 06:31:09 AM
So what In general are the parameters for caste vs assembly date? A caste date I see can be all over the place depending on what engine was chosen. But then the assembly date would be within that month interval, generally, before actual build date? Or is it really hard to pinpoint due to the hand built nature of 1967's and the lack of vin? Anybody have an example of their own car?
67 Shelby's were not hand built. The were completed minus front end ,hood and trunk lid on the Ford assemblyline just like other Mustangs.  SA did not add anything in the engine compartment with exception of the amp and oil pressure lines. It was cheaper to have Ford do the other enhancements on the assemblyline.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby