News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Engine restored for 6S1078

Started by Greg, October 18, 2018, 03:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Not much color or dye on the carb main case pieces but likely the lighting and camera settings
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

silverton_ford

I am not trying to pick it apart or be downgrading.  I understand the tremendous amount of work it takes to assemble these motors.  It looks great and you are well on your way. A few little things I noticed:

- Valve cover gaskets are cut out of a sheet of black cork.  The top and bottom of the gasket should be black, but the sides which are exposed from the side are cork color.  Also note, that the valve cover gaskets should not have tabs sticking out when using the open letter valve covers.  (I can't tell what you have from the picture angles, just stating something I learned at SAAC 43 this summer).

- The clips for the PCV hose and air cleaner to oil filler cap don't come in the correct finish in the reproduction kits.  When you install the hose for the oil fill cap and air cleaner make sure you have the correct finish on the clips.  One kit is correct and the other is not, I can't remember which one is correct.  They stand out once you know that.  Just something to think of when you get to that step.

- Heater hose inlet on top of the intake has the incorrect finish (maybe it's the camera or screen resolution, not sure).  Should be a gold zinc finish.  http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-73-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-WATER-NECK-FITS-260-289-302-GOLD-ZINC-FINISH-P1081.aspx

- Here is the fuel adapter Bob was talking about.  http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/66-67-GT350-Shelby-Fuel-Filter-Adaptor-for-Holley-715-cfm-Carburetor-P482224.aspx

- Do you have the different sized bypass hose clamps?  They are a size or two smaller than the heater hose clamps.

- Here is the distributor wire to the coil Bob was talking about:  http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-67-289-HI-PO-DISTRIBUTOR-PRIMARY-LEAD-WIRE-P5506.aspx

J_Speegle

Quote from: silverton_ford on October 19, 2018, 06:06:06 PM
- Valve cover gaskets..............  Also note, that the valve cover gaskets should not have tabs sticking out when using the open letter valve covers. .............

Hmm.. Had not heard that they only used no tab valve cover gaskets after Ford took over installing them. Here are some period picture of open letter valve covers with tabs clearly visible.  Due to valve adjusting not unusual for original gaskets to have been replaced over the years. On a fair number of others the dip stick or coil got in the way of a clear view :(   Cleveland still used the valve cover gaskets with the tab (needed for alignment and retention) on the regular 289 assembled at the same plant - same time so they had hundreds of thousands on hand.

A prior thread

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1123.msg20092#msg20092

While we're visiting the subject examples from 65's from articles of the time

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

silverton_ford

Quote from: J_Speegle on October 19, 2018, 06:27:04 PMHmm.. Had not heard that they only used no tab valve cover gaskets after Ford took over installing them. Here are some period picture of open letter valve covers with tabs clearly visible.  Due to valve adjusting not unusual for original gaskets to have been replaced over the years. On a fair number of others the dip stick or coil got in the way of a clear view :(   Cleveland still used the valve cover gaskets with the tab (needed for alignment and retention) on the regular 289 assembled at the same plant - same time so they had hundreds of thousands on hand.

Point and picture evidence well taken.   :)   I understood during a discussion at SAAC 43, that they didn't have the tabs, but I don't understand why they would have two different gaskets at the assembly plant.    I am not arguing.   :)

J_Speegle

Quote from: silverton_ford on October 19, 2018, 06:36:54 PM
Point and picture evidence well taken.   :)   I understood during a discussion at SAAC 43, that they didn't have the tabs, but I don't understand why they would have two different gaskets at the assembly plant.    I am not arguing.   :)

Didn't take it as such. We are each told and hear things. Its the collection of data, discussion and hopefully the understanding that comes out of that that forms our current understanding.  Doesn't always "close the book" to further discussions but normally that does not follow a single finding as we sometimes see efforts towards.

Not sure that there were two different gaskets since one would fill both needs during this period. At the same time we don't know if the valve covers arrived with gaskets or without. If they did arrive with gaskets that were different (not stating they were just entertaining the possibility) one assembler might choose to use the ones that came with the valve covers while another assembler used the ones they already had at the plant and he used for other 289's, 

Just could not find any period pictures of such and as mentioned these are so often replaced with the first valve adjustment.

What I found more interesting is that earlier examples during the period of when Shelby did the swap of the valve covers had the same tabbed valve cover gaskets. The reason I included those with the others. So did Shelby reuse the Ford gaskets or did the valve covers at that time come with gaskets with tabs?  :)

J_Speegle

- Valve cover gaskets are cut out of a sheet of black cork.  The top of the gasket should be black, but the sides which are exposed from the side are cork color.  ......................

Sure you meant to write that top and bottom surface of the cork were black.

This would be the same practice used for the oil pan gasket also though we can't see it in the pictures posted so far.

silverton_ford

Quote from: J_Speegle on October 19, 2018, 06:54:20 PM
- Valve cover gaskets are cut out of a sheet of black cork.  The top of the gasket should be black, but the sides which are exposed from the side are cork color.  ......................

Sure you meant to write that top and bottom surface of the cork were black.

This would be the same practice used for the oil pan gasket also though we can't see it in the pictures posted so far.

+1 

Greg

Thank you all for the comments, I truly appreciate them!
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

It looks awesome, can't wait to hear it run
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎