Author Topic: After What Seems Like A Lifetime...  (Read 5171 times)

DGSOH

• View Profile
After What Seems Like A Lifetime...
« on: October 18, 2018, 06:37:44 PM »
After a looong rest and a seemingly endless resurrection GT 350 #0066 is back on the road – running and driving.

I parked it, running and driving at the time, somewhere around 2000 (last valid sticker was ‘98 but that doesn’t mean much). Restoration was started 2013 and though not yet complete-complete, complete enough to drive. Still have some interior work left like finish the upholstery, door panels, hang the shoulder belts and various detail items. Plus some engine bay and trunk detail items but all-in-all pretty far along.

I have to say, the first test run last week was pretty hairy – steering was all over the place, brake distribution block was frozen favoring the rears... had to abort. But that’s the fun part right? Not. Worked on both and much better now but still have to figure out the steering not centering as it should issue.

Having not driven the thing in so long I’ve lost all sense of what my expectations should be. My only reference is modern cars these days. I’ve taken 3 short test drives including that first and a recurring thought while doing so is I can’t believe I used to drive this thing like I used to – like 115mph blasts up and down 15 in CT which by the way is a much different road today than it was 30 years ago.

Anyway, just thought I’d report another one is basking in the glory of it’s like-new heyday. Can’t wait until it’s all sorted out but sadly, winter is upon us so spirited outings will likely have to wait until spring.

Thanks to all who’ve provided assistance, guidance, knowledge, parts and support. 0066 could not have gotten to this point without you.

Thanks -

DGSOH

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: After What Seems Like A Lifetime...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »
Cool!

Hope you can share some pictures.

8)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 07:44:19 PM »

+ 1
After a looong rest and a seemingly endless resurrection GT 350 #0066 is back on the road – running and driving.

I parked it, running and driving at the time, somewhere around 2000 (last valid sticker was ‘98 but that doesn’t mean much). Restoration was started 2013 and though not yet complete-complete, complete enough to drive. Still have some interior work left like finish the upholstery, door panels, hang the shoulder belts and various detail items. Plus some engine bay and trunk detail items but all-in-all pretty far along.

I have to say, the first test run last week was pretty hairy – steering was all over the place, brake distribution block was frozen favoring the rears... had to abort. But that’s the fun part right? Not. Worked on both and much better now but still have to figure out the steering not centering as it should issue.

Having not driven the thing in so long I’ve lost all sense of what my expectations should be. My only reference is modern cars these days. I’ve taken 3 short test drives including that first and a recurring thought while doing so is I can’t believe I used to drive this thing like I used to – like 115mph blasts up and down 15 in CT which by the way is a much different road today than it was 30 years ago.

Anyway, just thought I’d report another one is basking in the glory of it’s like-new heyday. Can’t wait until it’s all sorted out but sadly, winter is upon us so spirited outings will likely have to wait until spring.

Thanks to all who’ve provided assistance, guidance, knowledge, parts and support. 0066 could not have gotten to this point without you.

Thanks -

DGSOH
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 08:49:59 PM »
Another early ‘67 lives!   Great for you!   :)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 10:45:52 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS! 

Yes they do drive different but once sorted you'll love it all again.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »
Great news!!  Congratulations and enjoy your time with 0066.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 09:11:08 AM »
I have a few friends up there.
I like a good drive....
When u get it sorted we will meet you on 15 with as many GT350 as you can imagine for a test of those old mph figures. Just send me a pm. Subject to weather of course.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »
 Fabulous.  And wait...it gets better!!

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 04:23:49 PM »
I drive mine a lot and cannot believe I used it a daily driver for years.  As much fun as it is to drive it is amazing what the 50+ years of automotive progress has made since it rolled out of the facility at LAX, but if you think to 50 years before my 66 was produced it was 1916 and the big news was electric starters
Enjoy driving your 67 and keep putting as many miles as you back and wallet can stand, you’ll never regret it
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 05:32:41 PM »
I like a good drive....
When u get it sorted we will meet you on 15 with as many GT350 as you can imagine for a test of those old mph figures. Just send me a pm. Subject to weather of course.

Sounds like a great idea. About a 10 hr. drive back there for me these days. Used to stomp from New Haven down through White Plains and into "the city". Last time I was there, there was no rush hour any more - seemed like rush hour day and night but it had been widened and repaved - not as unforgiving as it used to be I'd say.

There used to be this place called Lock, Stock & Barrel in Darien. We could meet there and pick some spot to drive to - no rules, first car wins. We could call it a run maybe? Maybe we could even give the run a name hmmmm... something that begins with "C" - a good name escapes me at the moment. I'm sure a good one will come up : ) (For those of you who understand the reference)

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 05:41:59 PM »
Fabulous.  And wait...it gets better!!

lol - not sure how to interpret that - the scary $h!t gets scary-er? The head banging gets more frequent and painful as I discover more things that need "sorting out"? lol

I'll interpret as "as things get sorted out the experience will get more and more enjoyable".

Thanks for the well wishes.

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 05:49:44 PM »
And thanks to all for the good wishes. It's an exciting time, baring inclement weather of course, to know I can finally just grab the keys and go for a ride when the spirit moves me... been a long time coming. This coming winter I'm sure will feel like an eternity.

By the way, any thoughts an where the convention might be next year? Haven't heard what's under consideration or if a selection has/n't been made or not.

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 07:25:13 PM »
Hello,

Super to have another early '67 back together and on the road!  Way to go!  Enjoy the car as it was meant to be!

Thanks,
Eric

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 07:51:14 AM »
I like a good drive....

Sounds like a great idea. About a 10 hr. drive back there for me these days. Used to stomp from New Haven down through White Plains and into "the city". Last time I was there, there was no rush hour any more - seemed like rush hour day and night but it had been widened and repaved - not as unforgiving as it used to be I'd say.

There used to be this place called Lock, Stock & Barrel in Darien. We could meet there and pick some spot to drive to - no rules, first car wins. We could call it a run maybe? Maybe we could even give the run a name hmmmm... something that begins with "C" - a good name escapes me at the moment. I'm sure a good one will come up : ) (For those of you who understand the reference)

I think some guy named Yates used to hang around there.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 10:13:36 AM »
I think some guy named Yates used to hang around there.

I think you're right. I wonder whatever became of that guy. Probably a dull, boring existence like the rest of us working stiffs ; )