News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

'66 GT350 steering wheel values.

Started by CSX 4133, October 18, 2018, 07:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSX 4133

I did search for my answer within the site, with no information found. I would like to ask the members what they feel a NOS GT350 Nardi wood steering wheel is worth. There is an advertiser on eBay selling two individual wheels as described in "excellent condition". His asking price seems very high to me, but I may be dead wrong on that, he's asking $4250. At this point I'm just curious price wise on these wheels, or what others have paid or sourced elsewhere.

6s1640

Hi Steve,

If the wheels you are looking at are items No. 352194402352 and 122776185232.   Run as fast as you can the other way.  They are  not original SAI steering wheels.

Cory

CSX 4133

Thanks for your insight Cory. I'll avoid them as advised, In going through the original parts that came with my GT350 I'm missing a few larger items. I assume they were sold or lost during four previous owners, among the items missing is the OEM steering wheel.

zray

I'm certainly open to some schoolin' here, but aren't the real wood wheels for a '66 ALL over the counter items, i.e., weren't all the '66 GT-350's delivered with the usual Ford Plastic woodgrain steering wheel ???

Z

Bob Gaines

Quote from: zray on October 18, 2018, 08:45:37 PM
I'm certainly open to some schoolin' here, but aren't the real wood wheels for a '66 ALL over the counter items, i.e., weren't all the '66 GT-350's delivered with the usual Ford Plastic woodgrain steering wheel ???

Z
Well there is evidence to suggest that the 4 converts at the end of 66 production were fitted at Shelby with the over the counter wood wheel but they were not regular production.  Yes, the factory plastic woodgrained wheel is what is typical on 66GT350 fastback's.  Fortunately there is a reproduction available that is the next best thing to NOS FORD IMO. The refinished wheels don't look the part next to a NOS wheel and the current repro looks very close. The wood wheels are beautiful but not factory original on regular production 66 GT350's .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

zray

Bob,  Thanks for pointing out the  convertible anomoly

Z

6s1802

I can't sleep at night knowing I spent $4500 to $7500 on a original over the counter wheel, but I sleep like a baby with my Scott Drake $549.00 repop '67 OTC wheel on my '66. The horn button works, and the hub is drilled and tapped for a puller. The wheels are good quality. I have one I got from Brant on my car almost two years now with no issues. Like some woman who are good ten footers, once you turn out the lights they're all a 10.

CSX 4133

Thank you to those that posted their responses to my query. I hope to locate the missing OEM parts (steering wheel, radiator,radio and wheel center caps) possibly still with a previous owner. Should the next owner of 1806 wish to return it to stock at least I'd have the parts available. In the meantime 1806 is a race car undergoing some updating/ prepping for the 2019 season. Thanks again.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1802 on October 19, 2018, 03:21:04 AM
I can't sleep at night knowing I spent $4500 to $7500 on a original over the counter wheel, but I sleep like a baby with my Scott Drake $549.00 repop '67 OTC wheel on my '66. The horn button works, and the hub is drilled and tapped for a puller. The wheels are good quality. I have one I got from Brant on my car almost two years now with no issues. Like some woman who are good ten footers, once you turn out the lights they're all a 10.
Those repops are a nicer moderate priced alternative then has ever been available since when you could buy one back in the day.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

I read that someone somewhere did actual wood in place of the simulated wood grain on the same deluxe stock steering wheel and it was good enough to fool the Judges. Though I highly doubt it would fool Bob Gaines. The man is a wizard on detail and correctness.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

tesgt350

Quote from: 6s1802 on October 19, 2018, 03:21:04 AM

If those go for $4500 to $7500, what would an NOS 1965 Steering Wheel be worth?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on October 19, 2018, 02:29:26 PM
I read that someone somewhere did actual wood in place of the simulated wood grain on the same deluxe stock steering wheel and it was good enough to fool the Judges. Though I highly doubt it would fool Bob Gaines. The man is a wizard on detail and correctness.
Thanks for the nice compliment .There are others here that are just as good and some even better in some aspects. We all together make a great team.  ;D   Dallas Mustang was famous with monthly ads in the back of Mustang magazines used to offer the upgrade to real wood on the 66 deluxe wheel . The re wood didn't look even close to the original plastic wood grain. Maybe someone who is not used to seeing the plastic woodgrain might be fooled would be the only reason I can think of why it would pass as the same . One reason is because it was real wood and looked better IMO but not original. The plastic woodgrain when NOS or on the new repros looks like it is supposed to. I have seen some good restored 66 deluxe wheels but none that look the woodgrain looks like the factory faux finish

Doug C

Bob, what repo wheel would you consider to be the most accurate wheel for a 1966 Shelby?  Thanks 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Doug C on October 19, 2018, 03:06:35 PM
Bob, what repo wheel would you consider to be the most accurate wheel for a 1966 Shelby?  Thanks
the one Brant sells  ;) .

6s1802

By all means get The Virginia Classic Mustang wheel and horn button. Only one complaint, you must disassemble the horn button and tape or silicon the center emblem to the button or it will spin around and some of the hubs were put on 180 degrees out. So compare it to the wheel you take off.