Author Topic: 4 spd convertible console trim ring  (Read 4804 times)

corbins

• View Profile
4 spd convertible console trim ring
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:45:26 AM »
My car 2185, had a chrome metal bezel around the shifter boot. Is this the norm , or something the original owner added? It had a tendency to scar up the overlay which I recently replaced and I wonder about putting it back.
thanks Steve
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 07:42:59 PM by corbins »

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
Re: 4 spd comvertible
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »
Hey Steve
Glad to see you back on the site.
And I wonder if there is a difference between small block and big block?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 09:48:48 AM »
Steve,
I am no expert but when I researched the same thing I found that the chrome "ring" is the way they came.
Just a thought though, if your chrome ring has any sharp edges your could chamfer them with a file or Emory cloth. I did not do this but I have not had an issue with it damaging the wood grain.

bobg

• SAAC Member
  • CAR 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 10:11:26 AM »
                                My car came with one 031
                                                          bobg

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
Theoretically I think they all came with the chrome ring or were supposed to. They created an unexpected issue though of not staying where they were supposed to and many got removed.

It could have been by anyone including the original sales person, dealer or even the transporter guy unloading them off of the trailer.

Even if they stayed in place they would eventually, meaning soon, damage or wear through the station wagon paneling used for the woodgrain effect in the console, so simplest solution often being the best...off they came.

If you were lucky, the salesman gave it to you seperately with the keys, explained why they took it off and left it up to the new owner to decide WTF to do with it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 08:12:21 AM »
Ok, thanks guys !  I kinda assumed it was original. I did buy the car from the original owner and really had no reason to believe he made any mods to the car. Going to have to figure out a way to keep it from rubbing the overlay away. Its too much of a pain in the ass to replace. :)

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 08:28:34 AM »
Spray glue some black felt on the bottom, trim with razor blade  8)
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Jimbc123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 04:23:26 PM »
I have tried approaches where I had glued different materials under the shifter trim ring, but never tried felt. It sounded like a great idea so I tried it today. It seems to work very well. My only concern is whether the felt might compress over time, or if it will hold up to the rigor of shifting. We’ll see in the upcoming weeks. If it compresses I can always add more.

Thank you Chris!

Jim

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 06:24:58 PM »
I think I’m gunna try that.
Spray Felt,.......who knew???
 :o
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 07:31:07 PM »
I have tried approaches where I had glued different materials under the shifter trim ring, but never tried felt. It sounded like a great idea so I tried it today. It seems to work very well. My only concern is whether the felt might compress over time, or if it will hold up to the rigor of shifting. We’ll see in the upcoming weeks. If it compresses I can always add more.

Thank you Chris!

Jim

Glad to be of help again. 

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Jimbc123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 03:20:26 PM »
I can’t seem to leave well enough alone. While regular felt material worked to keep the bezel from scratching the console. it was very soft did not seem like it would be very durable. A better felt product for this application is marketed under the name “Felt Gard” and used as a glide under the legs of furniture. It’s available in most hardware stores. It comes in 4.5”x6” sizes in dark brown and has a strong adhesive on one side. The material I bought was about 0.125” thick. I used 3 layers, and cut it to fit. It works very well with virtually no compression. Seems to work well.

Jim
        - The thickness of the material I used was 0.125” not .25”-
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:13:05 PM by Jimbc123 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »
I would suggest amending the title of this thread by adding "console trim ring" to better help those in the future who may search for this info. This thread has had informative information others will think so too IMO.  I am thinking about the future (no more crash's thank you).
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

corbins

• View Profile
Re: 4 spd convertible console trim ring
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 07:45:26 PM »
Thanks Guys ! good ideas for sure. And Bob, revision made...even changed the comvertible to convertible  :D