News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

65 - 66 Sway Bar Interference

Started by MustangMann, October 20, 2018, 04:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MustangMann

Hi all;

Working on a 66 Carryover car, and noticed a slight interference between the front sway bar and the strut rods, as well as the front frame rail on one side, where the rail is notched.  At first, we thought maybe we had a 67 sway bar on there, but after a lot of research, we are convinced that we have the correct 65 - 66 1 inch sway bar.  The bar barely hits, but it is enough to make noise.  After some research, we also learned that there was at least one Shelby that went back for warranty repair, to correct sway bar interference with the frame rail, and a ride height adjustment as well (which would help this issue).  This car has the original hi po front coils in it (I cleaned them and found the reddish-brown stripes on them).  I have two questions for the group;  first, has anyone had these problems, and second, who was the original supplier of sway bars to SA?  Thanks in advance for the help.

Ken

Bob Gaines

Quote from: MustangMann on October 20, 2018, 04:03:26 PM
Hi all;

Working on a 66 Carryover car, and noticed a slight interference between the front sway bar and the strut rods, as well as the front frame rail on one side, where the rail is notched.  At first, we thought maybe we had a 67 sway bar on there, but after a lot of research, we are convinced that we have the correct 65 - 66 1 inch sway bar.  The bar barely hits, but it is enough to make noise.  After some research, we also learned that there was at least one Shelby that went back for warranty repair, to correct sway bar interference with the frame rail, and a ride height adjustment as well (which would help this issue).  This car has the original hi po front coils in it (I cleaned them and found the reddish-brown stripes on them).  I have two questions for the group;  first, has anyone had these problems, and second, who was the original supplier of sway bars to SA?  Thanks in advance for the help.

Ken
It appears SA purchased the sway bars through Ford . It would make sense given Fords quantity orders for other size Mustang application sway bars. There are Ford memos that suggest that there was a issue between Ford and the MFG about making more of the inch sway bars because of costs etc.   The memos seemed to be relaying the information to SA. That is how I came to that conclusion. I will do further research and see if I can determine the MFG and if so will post it. Also Is it hitting only on one side or both?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

Interesting issue, thanks for sharing Bob, I am keen to know more  :)
6S373
6S1276

MustangMann

Gentleman;

It is hitting both strut rods, and one side of the frame rail.  I have 4 other 66's in my shop, and only one, which is a B-Production vintage race car, with an original 1 inch sway bar, shows signs of a very slight interference with the drivers side frame rail.  No interference with the strut rods.  I think that the ride height plays a role in the frame rail interference, but the contact with the strut rods seems to be a product of the curve of the bar, as it exits the bushings and curves rearward.

Thanks for taking the time Bob.

Ken

427heaven

I have had mostly lowered cars and the question I ask is, has the car been lowered or is it stock ride height? If you raise the car slightly with a jack do the problems get better? Most vintage race cars have had the frames notched because it is fast,easy and works wonderful with out ruining any structural integrity. The originality buffs will cringe but their cars are probably not lowered anyway.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427heaven on October 20, 2018, 10:47:04 PM
I have had mostly lowered cars and the question I ask is, has the car been lowered or is it stock ride height? If you raise the car slightly with a jack do the problems get better? Most vintage race cars have had the frames notched because it is fast,easy and works wonderful with out ruining any structural integrity. The originality buffs will cringe but their cars are probably not lowered anyway.
If they have a 65 GT350 it is most definitely lowered from stock Mustang ride height;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 20, 2018, 10:51:51 PM
Quote from: 427heaven on October 20, 2018, 10:47:04 PM
If they have a 65 GT350 it is most definitely lowered from stock Mustang ride height;)

;)
6S373
6S1276

Bob Gaines

Quote from: MustangMann on October 20, 2018, 04:03:26 PM
Hi all;

Ken
I wonder if you have a Ford 65/66 inch sway bar or a aftermarket 65/66 sway bar ? The end link eyelets on the sway bar are decidedly different between a original and aftermarket. The clearances are typically close on a 65 GT350 and it wouldn't take much to cause contact so a mis made or damaged bar may be the problem . That is assuming that there isn't frame damage that would cause some out of the ordinary alignment issues. A aftermarket bar is going to be much more likely to have a fitment issue then a Ford bar. The tolerances and quality that Ford expects from vendors making their parts is typically higher then the quality expectations of non OEM mfg's. You might want to take the end link off of one side and take a picture of the eyelet to confirm what you have. FYI the 67 Shelby 15/16 bar is dramatically different in shape then the 65/66 1 inch bar. Visually the thickness is noticeable also.  If nothing else determining if you have a Ford bar vs a aftermarket version will help cross one possible problem area off of your list.

427heaven

If tolerances were very close on a 65 worn out springs after 50 years plus, any damage, might just be the culprit here.Some new springs might be the ticket here.

MustangMann

Thanks Bob, I will try to post photos of the ends of the bar so we can identify.  Any idea who supplied the 1 inch bars to Ford/Shelby? 

Ken