Author Topic: WTB - 1967 Shelby GT350 or GT500 - Manual  (Read 1010 times)

Hockeylife

• View Profile
WTB - 1967 Shelby GT350 or GT500 - Manual
« on: October 22, 2018, 10:20:07 PM »
Hi, looking for rust free, preferably a west coast, 1967 Shelby. Could be either small or big block with a manual transmission. Prefer original drivetrains, but would consider matching numbers. Original sheet metal a big plus as well.
Thanks
Monteamy@icloud.com

Corey Bowcutt

• View Profile
Re: WTB - 1967 Shelby GT350 or GT500 - Manual
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 07:46:10 AM »
I do not want to side track this listing but I am confused by original drive train vs. numbers matching.  I thought numbers matching is original drive train.  What am I missing?

stangman39

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 08:19:29 AM »
I'm sure higher ups will chime in but my thought is this.
Original drivetrain = the one that was with the car when it rolled off the assembly line/out of SA.
Matching numbers = all the dates and codes fit within the range of the car build date but drivetrain has been replaced from the factory drivetrain
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:00:45 AM by stangman39 »

Hockeylife

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:51:23 AM »
Original drivetrain = the one that was with the car when it rolled off the assembly line/out of SA.
Matching numbers = all the dates and codes fit within the range of the car build date

Exactly, really that simple. Simple, but misused all the time.

stephen_becker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 11:16:04 AM »
I have 5 1967 GT 500 for sale - All CA cars located in CA - email me directly for additional info

Stephen G. Becker
stephen@beckerautogroup.com
(770) 900 5532

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

linkedin.com/in/beckerautogroup

J_Speegle

• Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »
Matching numbers = all the dates and codes fit within the range of the car build date but drivetrain has been replaced from the factory drivetrain

The reason your need to define what it means to both parties involved since each of these means different things to different people. Sort of like the words "restored" or "rebuilt" ;)  To me both the terms above (original drivetrain and numbers matching are the same thing. But of course it depends (numbers matching) if your referring to the car as a whole or the drivetrain.

I've not heard many that used the defined the two terms above that exact same way. Just my experience  - and just sharing how there are differences of opinion :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com babysitter :) and Judge

Hockeylife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 09:24:22 AM »
Bump to the top...serious buyer, still looking! Thanks

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 10:12:33 AM »
Many like to run in the GRAY area and represent the car as numbers matching when decades ago that would have meant that the car was correct and original as the car was built and sold as. Today people know darn well that their car didn't come with (BORN WITH) drivetrains or sheetmetal etc but constantly represent them as so. I would guess that less than 5% fall into that category,look at all the requests for engines,  transmissions, third members and most of the car. No big deal really, sellers need to be a little more forthcoming that these pieces have been replaced and they are not born with, that cuts to the chase of unscrupulous sellers selling something that is different then what some are hoping to purchase. There are just a few on here that can decipher every little nuance of these cars, that's why we hire them for an honest description and evaluation before we start peeling off some BENJAMINS.

Hockeylife

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 09:45:48 PM »
Still looking! Thanks

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 05:08:22 AM »

No...
No offense ,..but no.

If someone states numbers matching or “matching numbers” they are saying it’s the original born with components. IE,.. drivetrain.
If they tell you otherwise they are trying to deceive.
Plain and simple.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

stangman39

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 09:23:38 AM »

No...
No offense ,..but no.

If someone states numbers matching or “matching numbers” they are saying it’s the original born with components. IE,.. drivetrain.
Plain and simple.

I don't think it's plain and simple...that is why people get it confused all the time.
I don't think if someone says matching numbers it always means it has the born with drivetrain.
I'd rather have someone say original drivetrain so there is no confusion.

Bob Gaines

• Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 03:06:16 PM »

No...
No offense ,..but no.

Plain and simple.

I don't think it's plain and simple...that is why people get it confused all the time.
I don't think if someone says matching numbers it always means it has the born with drivetrain.
I'd rather have someone say original drivetrain so there is no confusion.
There are so many different interpretations . Matching numbers could be perceived as correct part/engineering numbers and acceptable date code numbers on various parts. It is not drivetrain only. With that interpretation it could also be original drivetrain for that application but doesn't necessarily mean the original drivetrain to that specific car. "Original drivetrain the car was born with "  leaves no wiggle room IMO. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby