Author Topic: Modern Wheel - wheel cleaner  (Read 4735 times)

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Modern Wheel - wheel cleaner
« on: October 24, 2018, 09:29:16 AM »
I thought this might be a good place to see if anyone has had any luck, or likes a certain brand or kind of wheel cleaner for their daily driver. I have noticed when I go through the car wash, the brake dust that accumulates on the inside of the spokes of the wheels and the calipers is starting to build up. Since the weather is changing here in the midwest, it's not as easy to spend a few hours detailing the wheels. I have tried in the past ( many years ago ) to use the spray on wheel cleaner. The old products used to leave a film or etch the wheels. The current wheels I have now are black and powder coated, so there should be no etching problems. My thought was to use one of the spray on type cleaners right before heading into the carwash. So while i'm gassing up, spray the wheels and let it penetrate for a bit before heading in to the wash bay. Has anyone else tried this method with success? and if so, what brand or kind of wheel cleaner has brought the best results.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
Re: Modern Wheel - wheel cleaner
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »
I've used many different brands to clean my CR-Vs wheels and have had no etching problems. They are clear-coated and probably painted, not powder-coated. I've used ArmorAll and other brands you find at like AutoZone and Pepboys. My problem, is finding the wheel PROTECTANT. No one seems to carry it anymore. That is what you will need after you finish cleaning them really well. http://bestreviews.com/best-wheel-cleaners Try this article and see if it helps. I'll read it, too, as I am always looking for the best products for my car. I just spent about $30.+ on some buffing products for my Honda last night. All of this is practice for when I buy my first Shelby!
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 10:51:16 AM »
Looking for someone who has used and has been successful with a spray on product that does not require any wiping as I will be spraying it on prior to entering the carwash. The new products now are advertising spray and wash with no scrubbing required. I am looking for someone with hands on knowledge ( experience ) with one of these products that they can recommend as doing what it says it can do.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 11:54:51 AM »
I don't think it exists unless you are willing to wash the wheels on a daily basis.

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 12:12:48 PM »
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 01:17:49 PM »
DON'T SPRAY ANYTHING ON BEFORE ENTERING THE CAR WASH! I might be the next guy thru any I don't want YOUR chemicals on my car! the car washes recycle the water/rinse any the crap you add to it doesn't help. car wash is for daily drivers. phred

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:57:26 PM »
I've had much success using CODE RED active wheel cleaner by Surf City Garage. All of my data comes from using this product (and others) on my Honda Civic with very "busy" construction meaning that there are a lot of nooks, crannies, tight radii, etc. which do not allow fingers w/rags or even the use of soft wheel brushes to be used successfully. The CODE RED is a spray on-hose off product with no need for scrubbing (generally). It sprays on GREEN and, when it turns RED, it is ready to hose off with a strong spray or pressure washer if you have one (I never used a pressure washer on my wheels). I never had to resort to scrubbing. I sometimes applied the product a second time for tenacious brake dust.

Surf City Garage advertises that CODE RED is safe on all wheels. It is acid-free and ph-neutral. It changes color when it attacks brake dust.

Check out their web site-- www.surfcitygarage.com

I hope this helps.

Frank

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 09:28:25 AM »
Thank you Frank. I was hoping to hear from someone with a successful experience. Lets give it a run!
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 09:38:48 AM »
I found it on Amazon for $12.99 a bottle. Free 2 day shipping so I will post my results over the weekend-

SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

prototypefan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 11:58:13 AM »
I can't find it on Amazon

Tried "code red wheel cleaner"

Can you post a link?

thx

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

prototypefan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 03:24:34 PM »
Thanks!!!

SFM66H

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
When applicable, here is a completely different approach to the brake dust problem:

https://www.kleenwheels.com

Once I got turned onto these I’d never be without them again.

Unless you need to show off your Brembo calipers, they’re the hot ticket for keeping your front rims looking as good as the rears with zero additional work.

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 05:03:28 PM »
Give Sonax Plus wheel cleaner a try. I use it on all types of wheels (including aluminum) and it works very well. As with all wheel cleaners, any heavily built up brake deposits will need mild agitation to remove them fully. Sonax can be ordered online or it's available at retailers like Pep Boys, another Sonax product worth noting is their Rim Shield which keeps brake dust from sticking to wheels.

https://www.sonaxusa.com

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 10:10:08 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the Rim Shield. I am needing a really great wheel protectant. Thanks, Terlingua for the Code Red info. Let us know how it works or not. For $13./bottle, it better work like a boss!
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!