News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT500 #0254 coming up to auction at Mecum Kissimee

Started by Richstang, October 25, 2018, 06:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_1183

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Richstang

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

GT350DAVE

They used old photos. The rocker moldings and wheel lip trim were not present at the auction.

Anyone still think the market is soft?

Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

Bill

Quote from: GT350DAVE on January 12, 2019, 04:35:03 PM

Anyone still think the market is soft?

Dave

For quality cars, no, the market is not soft.
For rebodied cars, that is a whole other story.  ::)
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

1967 eight barrel

I see that Bob was making reference to the claims of "concours" correct. That the vehicle isn't. Much of the restoration wasn't done well. For instance: Look at the dash and door brushed aluminum. It looks poor and incorrect.  I had all the OE plastic plated and restored and went with the Burton panels because the finish and as you can see from my pictures, it looks like it should.
My vehicle is NOT concours. However, I don't try and portray it as such. After watching the extent some go to, I understand how much work it is to try and replicate everything.  300K for a half-ass job. Fit and Finish just doesn't get it done.

-Keith

Shelby_r_b

I'm in Kissimmee and looked the car over, took several pictures and talked to the owners. The car was not portrayed properly, regarding being almost concours (told to me by the owner).

I was also on the block next to the sellers when it crossed. They were literally jumping up and down.

So far, Shelbys of all years are strong at Kissimmee.
Nothing beats a classic!

Harris Speedster

That just goes to show, >>> that it is never over until the fat lady sings.

Been several years ago now, but I was taken back by the world record price set on a Bugatti.

The reason I was taken back >> the paint color used was the wrong color entirely, as the restorer told me he had found traces of the original color, and the mix of paint being a Urethane with metallic was wrong also.

They never had a Duco Lacquer scientifically formulated paint. >> meaning fish scales, metal shavings, ground glass and  a host of other items were used in European paint.
To my best knowledge, and based upon DuPont s research to help me out with the question>> who was first?

Relevance being Ben's Speedster was painted with DuPont's new Duco lacquer Chrome metallica paint, furthered by the paint code of Bens Speedster being the actual patent code of Metallic paint, crazy but true.

So, its OK to have a car that sets a world record breaking price in the tens of millions, that's OK somehow?

Just like its ok to not leave lead marks, dirt particles, clear coat and more in the paint work on Shelby's
BTW, what are the Concours rules regarding paint on Shelby's now ?????????

The guy had some uncommon error's in his restoration, and I can see why some red flags were thrown.
In my opinion, you called it correctly Bob.
With respect,
John

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Sfm6sxxx

Quote from: corbins on October 27, 2018, 08:49:47 PM
Quote from: 2112 on October 27, 2018, 01:26:12 AM
Quote from: 68krrrr on October 27, 2018, 12:38:06 AM
definitely strange to go to that level of restoration & then put wheel well moldings & rocker panels on a 67

And stripes.

I happen to prefer stripes on a white car, but when you are touting a concours restoration.   ::)

Concours...the most over/improperly-used word in the classic car marketplace
I would submit that Survivor is up there with it.

6S1114

427heaven

We have had this discussion every time the auctions come to town. Many original paint jobs look like they were painted in a cold dirty warehouse with a broom. To err on the side of originality that would be proper, what appears to be happening now is overly restored cars that are bringing all the money, cant blame them really as shiny as a new nickel excited people 100 years ago and holds true today. Congratulation to all those buyers and sellers this year. :)

Richstang

It looks like the bright rocker trim was still on the car at Mecum.
Edit; The white frame on the ground mirror is what looked like the rocker molding, glad I'm wrong on that.
Here's a photo thanks to Jeff Burgy.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

JD

I'm having a hard time seeing the rocker moldings in that photo (but do see a few other issues) - but I think the point is that car #3206 sold for similar money in May of 2018 at Mecum Indy auction and it was a much better restoration (Div 1 Premier car) and that both cars were offered as accurate restorations of "Stock" cars although I don't think this car would fare as well in SAAC judging, IF the owner cares.  Which would seem to indicate that the market is strong for cars that appear to most to be accurately restored or two people wanted the same car at the same auction.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bigblock

Wheel well moldings can be added to hide bondo in the rear quarters.

Why don't we chalk it up to values are rising across the board?    8)

Wedgeman

Just checked my videotape of the auction. No Rocker Panel Trim on the car when it crossed the block..

427heaven

Agreed prices are on the move again in a positive direction for all Shelby American cars... The FUNOMETER is still pegged on high for these cars.