News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

65-66 Sway Bar Bushing Installation

Started by SFM66H, October 26, 2018, 12:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM66H

I'm reaching out here for advice before I even try this, but HOW do you get a 1"ID front sway bar bushing over the 1 1/2" wide end of a front sway bar??

The replacement rubber is very firm (and actually has an ID of 15/16" - yikes!), and I must admit I could not even slide/rotate the old one off, I had to cut it off.

There's a saying this old guy at work used to have, "With enough patience and the right lubrication, a man can do damn near anything."

But in this case, I'm all ears for any tips you guys can share!

Thanks,
Kieth
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

Brant

Quote from: SFM66H on October 26, 2018, 12:03:13 PM
I'm reaching out here for advice before I even try this, but HOW do you get a 1"ID front sway bar bushing over the 1 1/2" wide end of a front sway bar??

The replacement rubber is very firm (and actually has an ID of 15/16" - yikes!), and I must admit I could not even slide/rotate the old one off, I had to cut it off.

There's a saying this old guy at work used to have, "With enough patience and the right lubrication, a man can do damn near anything."

But in this case, I'm all ears for any tips you guys can share!

Thanks,
Kieth

Kieth,

You have already answered your own question. :)

Lube them up, and you will have no problem.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

J_Speegle

I little time int he sun (rather than the bushings being cold) may help the process also.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

CSX 4133

Some time in very warm water to soften followed by lubrication should do the trick.  ;)

SFM66H

To all who chimed in, Thanks - much appreciated!

Mr. Cowles responded as well and I followed his technique, which worked perfectly:

Heated up water to 212 degrees and soaked the bushings for about 2 minutes. Sprayed the ends of the bar with white lithium grease, used a heavy leather glove, and "boop" - they slid right on! I also soaked the ends of the bar in hot water for awhile before I started, which probably didn't help a great deal, but it didn't hurt anything either.

The difficulty I was having not even being able to rotate/slide the originals (even after heating with a heat gun) is what made me seek advice. To be honest, I ended up quite surprised at how easy the install ended up being.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Kieth

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976