News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Value of numbers matching drive train

Started by Greg P, October 26, 2018, 10:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg P

I have been evaluating some '69 Shelby project cars but they don't have the original drive train.  Some have the right equip (say 3:00/1 posi) but wrong year and not even from a mustang.  These project cars are not cheap but I wonder what the impact is to the value because of these incorrect drive trains?  My desire is to build and enjoy but the reality is that even if I do the work there is real cost associated with the build.  Can anyone weigh in on the impact to the value for an incorrect drive train?  And if numbers matching isn't an option, is it worth getting '69 mustang parts instead?  Thank you.  Greg P.

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

427heaven

Pete spelled it out pretty clearly but there are difficult complicated sliding scales for different years and models. For an example if you are missing a 68-69 GT 350 engine which is a 302 or 351 Windsor they made millions of them, and are in every wrecking yard from here to Europe and are fairly priced for the budget builder. Not too many people are going to cry about these engines in place of the original engine. The early cars used Hipo 289s and are much more expensive to locate and build. Then things get a little more expensive when you move up to a big block standard 428, or a 428 cj. It just depends what you are capable of finding or doing to your car yourself. Get the best car you can afford and enjoy the ride. ;)

J_Speegle

Another thing to consider that is related to value is the number of potential buyers that would immediately not be interested in the vehicle. Less potential buyers may mean longer time to sell and it's reflected (as you have determined) in a lesser value once it does.

Also works, in a similar fashion, for cars lacking original body panels as we've discussed before
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1640

Hi Greg,

The next best thing to a matching engine or other drive train parts is to find equivalent parts that have the same form and appropriate dates codes to the car.  You will want to understand the availability of these parts and their respective cost.  You should do your home work on difficulty of finding the correct parts.  Some parts could be relative common and other impossible to find.  For example, on the 66 HiPo 289, non-GT350, the four barrel intake is pretty common to find and not that expensive.  Finding the right date code may take little while, but can be done.  This intake is common the an "A" code car.  Now try to find the matching carb C6-ZFF for a 66 automatic K-code.  This carb is very difficult to find and expensive once you do find.  So my advise is learn what parts you will need to find and have an idea on difficulty and price before taking the plunge.  Saving another SAI product is always a good thing.  You just need to understand what you are getting into and enjoy the journey.

Best of luck

Cory

Greg P

Thank you all for your input.  I read thru the price guide link.  Very useful.  I feel better about my options.  I'm leaning towards the '69 or '70 GT350 so as some of you have indicated there are a lot of drive train options for at least getting the correct year / date codes.  I'm still in research mode but looking forward to learning more and taking that step.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg P on October 27, 2018, 04:06:28 PM
Thank you all for your input.  I read thru the price guide link.  Very useful.  I feel better about my options.  I'm leaning towards the '69 or '70 GT350 so as some of you have indicated there are a lot of drive train options for at least getting the correct year / date codes.  I'm still in research mode but looking forward to learning more and taking that step.
Study so that you can make a informed decision . Hopefully another 69/70 GT350 will get a new lease on life. We are here to help make things a little easier. Best of luck with your search.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Greg P on October 27, 2018, 04:06:28 PM

Good luck with your search. Reach out for help (not everything is in books or magazine articles ;)

We're here to assist as we would rather help BEFORE you jump that be the bearers of bad news (or something you may have over looked) after you've left the launch pad  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427hunter

Numbers matching is (as stated above) a big deal when it's time to sell if that's your plan. Figure on a restored car 25% for a cj, but remember that also means you need original sheet metal, glass, a good history, and a correct restoration to go with it.   
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Greg

It really does depend on the initial pricing of the vehicle.  Obviously, sellers want as much as they can get but most of the people selling these rare cars understand there is a price impact if the car doesn't have the original components.  If you take time, you can find an unrestored survivor with the original components. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

J_Speegle

Quote from: 427hunter on November 01, 2018, 02:00:25 AM
Numbers matching is (as stated above) a big deal when it's time to sell if that's your plan. Figure on a restored car 25% for a cj, but remember that also means you need original sheet metal, glass, a good history, and a correct restoration to go with it.   

Depends on how much the owner wanted to put into it and how "close to the top of the market" they hope to get out when the time comes. If they didn't do a perfect restoration but they didn't "hurt the car" during the restoration then you still have great bones and the original drivetrain. Restorations can be redone - can't get back the other two once gone or damaged.

Greg

Quote from: J_Speegle on November 01, 2018, 03:28:00 PM
Quote from: 427hunter on November 01, 2018, 02:00:25 AM

Depends on how much the owner wanted to put into it and how "close to the top of the market" they hope to get out when the time comes. If they didn't do a perfect restoration but they didn't "hurt the car" during the restoration then you still have great bones and the original drivetrain. Restorations can be redone - can't get back the other two once gone or damaged.

Absolutely true Jeff, as these cars become more valuable the differentiator will be the matching numbers components for top dollar.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1