Author Topic: '67 Shelby 10 Spoke Rims (4) For Sale  (Read 2917 times)

Fast Fords

• View Profile
'67 Shelby 10 Spoke Rims (4) For Sale
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:09:32 AM »
I have two original '67 Shelby ten spoke rims for sale. The rims were blasted by previous owner taking all the peeling clear off them. He started to sand them to bring the finish back up on them. This sanding process will have to be completed.This rim has the correct tapered spokes,valve stem in proper location, countersunk lug nut holes and it has the S7MS part number on the back in one of the spokes. Price is $400 each plus shipping.

The next two ten spokes are in really nice condition with all the same features as the above two rims. The one thing they do not have is the S7MS part number on the back of one of the spokes and I have been told by a knowledgeable SAAC member that they are also original as some of the rims were made without the part number on the back. This rims are in very nice shape and could be used no problem as they are and would look great on a car. Price for these two rims is $850 each plus shipping.

If interested in pictures, email gandcmurphy@rogers.com  Thanks.

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: '67 Shelby 10 Spoke Rims (4) For Sale
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:14:16 AM »
PM sent
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Fast Fords

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:22:36 PM »
Some members are requesting pictures of the backs of the wheels. The first picture is of the wheel with the part number that needs restoring.

The second picture is of the nice wheel with no part number on the back. I hope this clarifies some of the questions. Thanks.

Fast Fords

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 11:04:36 PM »
Pair needing to be restored reduced to $750 for the pair.

The pair in nice shape have been reduced to $1400 for the pair.

All four for $2000.

Shipping is extra. Thanks.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 12:43:23 AM »
Some members are requesting pictures of the backs of the wheels. The first picture is of the wheel with the part number that needs restoring.

The second picture is of the nice wheel with no part number on the back. I hope this clarifies some of the questions. Thanks.
The backside of a assemblyline wheel will be a rough aluminum casting. The later version improved wheels sometimes did not have a engineering number and were also machined on the backside to give additional clearance to help with brake caliper interference when used on a 68 car with single piston caliper. Those later wheels were sold as a service or after market part.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Fast Fords

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 06:32:42 AM »
Bob, are you saying the wheels with no # on the back will fit a '68 Shelby because of the machining that was done to them ?

Thanks....Greg.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 01:13:51 PM »

The backside of a assemblyline wheel will be a rough aluminum casting. The later version improved wheels sometimes did not have a engineering number and were also machined on the backside to give additional clearance to help with brake caliper interference when used on a 68 car with single piston caliper. Those later wheels were sold as a service or after market part.

Are you refering to a "reproduction wheel" as having no casting engineering number?

I've got a set here, that I bought from Jeff Burgy back in 1975 or 1976 that have no S7MS on them. They are way before any "continuation wheels" or "reproduction wheels" appeared. Those I think start to show up around 1982 and are cast at the Carroll Shelby Wheel Company. They have tappered spokes and the air stem holes are located between the spokes.

The "nameless" wheels do not have the '68 type of spacer cast into them on the bolt circle.

Jeff didn't remember where he had bought them from but thought it was in the early '70s when he got his first '66 GT350.

The speculation on that set was that the 15" 10 spokes first appeared in one of the Shelby Accessory catalogs in '66 before the 67 Shelbys were in production and possibly was the explanation for not having a Ford Engineering number. They weren't Ford wheels, they were Shelby accessory wheels.

I still have those wheels today. I will point out that Jeff got really pissed when he saw them on my car. It seems that the only reason he sold them to me was he thought that the piss yellow they had turned, and all the chips in them were in the aluminum.

I just took "aircraft paint stripper" and took off the clear coating on them, buffed them up a bit and there ya' go. His quote was "I NEVER would have sold them to YOU if I knew they were that good and even if I did, not for THAT price!". Honesty is sometimes good and satisfying but how 'bout some credit to me for "saving them?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 01:44:39 PM »
Bob, are you saying the wheels with no # on the back will fit a '68 Shelby because of the machining that was done to them ?

Thanks....Greg.
Some will and some will not I have found that is why I said would "help". Typically the ones with machining on the backside of the rim will have a good chance to clear without additional spacers.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 01:52:06 PM »

I believe that the Shelby wheel company produced a tenspoke wheel with the extra machining on the backside AFTER the initial introduction of tenspoke wheel used in 67 production.  I believe this was a evolution of the wheel so it could be used on the cars being produced with the single piston calipers . Unfortunately it came too late for 68 production.

Are you refering to a "reproduction wheel" as having no casting engineering number?

I've got a set here, that I bought from Jeff Burgy back in 1975 or 1976 that have no S7MS on them. They are way before any "continuation wheels" or "reproduction wheels" appeared. Those I think start to show up around 1982 and are cast at the Carroll Shelby Wheel Company. They have tappered spokes and the air stem holes are located between the spokes.

The "nameless" wheels do not have the '68 type of spacer cast into them on the bolt circle.

Jeff didn't remember where he had bought them from but thought it was in the early '70s when he got his first '66 GT350.

The speculation on that set was that the 15" 10 spokes first appeared in one of the Shelby Accessory catalogs in '66 before the 67 Shelbys were in production and possibly was the explanation for not having a Ford Engineering number. They weren't Ford wheels, they were Shelby accessory wheels.

I still have those wheels today. I will point out that Jeff got really pissed when he saw them on my car. It seems that the only reason he sold them to me was he thought that the piss yellow they had turned, and all the chips in them were in the aluminum.

I just took "aircraft paint stripper" and took off the clear coating on them, buffed them up a bit and there ya' go. His quote was "I NEVER would have sold them to YOU if I knew they were that good and even if I did, not for THAT price!". Honesty is sometimes good and satisfying but how 'bout some credit to me for "saving them?  ;D

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 06:31:03 PM »

Thanks....Greg.
Some will and some will not I have found that is why I said would "help". Typically the ones with machining on the backside of the rim will have a good chance to clear without additional spacers.
+1. The correct tapered spoke, non counter bored between the spokes valve stem hole, non spot faced  tapered lug nut seat wheel without the S7MS casting is what I believe is the D suffix wheel that some of them may clear the 68 K/H calipers and some may not. It is not necessarily how this wheel is machined but there is extra thickness of material cast in the back side of the hub area that ends up making them a different offset.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267