Author Topic: 1967 GT500 #02xxx  (Read 3076 times)

epalmer

• View Profile
1967 GT500 #02xxx
« on: October 29, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
Hi all - I came across this 1967 GT500 #02xxx that I'm considering to purchase/trade.

According to the registry:

"A "Z" precedes the Shelby VIN. The car was wrecked in the early '80's and the inner fenders, the Shelby VIN tag and some parts were put together to create another car." goes on to who owned the car in the past ('87) and who owns it now ('06) which matches up to who I'm dealing with as the current owner.

1. First question is what does this mean: A "Z" precedes the Shelby VIN?
2. Metal has been replaced and painted and the Ford Vins are not visible anywhere. The title has been VIN'd using the Shelby ID (is this correct?)
3. Beyond the Shelby Registry I want to "feel" confident I'm getting at least a true titled Shelby. I get that with mixed parts the car may be frankensteined, and the motor or trans is not intact/available, so "true" Shelby is a questionable.... or is it?
4. ...and do I dare throw out the question of worth/value as in the Lord knows the responses that will come from such a question... but why not... all opinions matter...lol

Any help is appreciated. I have bought, built and sold dozens of Mustangs but I've never had the opportunity to deal with a '60's Shelby and this one is a curve ball in the making.

Ed Palmer
Oct 29th 2018   

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 GT500 #02xxx
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 02:27:52 PM »
Hello, suggest you contact Dave Mathews the SAAC '67 Registrar NOW
dmathews@prodigy.net

A SEARCH on this website (upper right corner) of "Z Shelby VIN" will look and add a link.

Here is the link to the existing thread:
http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=2339.0

Dave and others can suggest qualified persons to look at the car for you.

Price is too wide a set of variables to speculate a realistic one at this point.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:29:37 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 03:51:31 PM »
Hi all - I came across this 1967 GT500 #02xxx that I'm considering to purchase/trade.

According to the registry:

"A "Z" precedes the Shelby VIN. The car was wrecked in the early '80's and the inner fenders, the Shelby VIN tag and some parts were put together to create another car." goes on to who owned the car in the past ('87) and who owns it now ('06) which matches up to who I'm dealing with as the current owner.

1. First question is what does this mean: A "Z" precedes the Shelby VIN?
2. Metal has been replaced and painted and the Ford Vins are not visible anywhere. The title has been VIN'd using the Shelby ID (is this correct?)
3. Beyond the Shelby Registry I want to "feel" confident I'm getting at least a true titled Shelby. I get that with mixed parts the car may be frankensteined
, and the motor or trans is not intact/available, so "true" Shelby is a questionable.... or is it?
4. ...and do I dare throw out the question of worth/value as in the Lord knows the responses that will come from such a question... but why not... all opinions matter...lol

Any help is appreciated. I have bought, built and sold dozens of Mustangs but I've never had the opportunity to deal with a '60's Shelby and this one is a curve ball in the making.

Ed Palmer
Oct 29th 2018
What you have is a likely can of worms so proceed with the utmost caution. The high lighted statements indicate at the very least a diminished market value as a Shelby and at the worst a possible legal battle what with what it sounds like someone else with parts from the car representing another car as the genuine car(Shelby VIN tag and possible inner fenders). There is also a possibility of confiscation by the authority's if past issues were not handled properly or even how a present authority interprets the law. You need a knowledgeable "Shelby" inspector to examine and see what is there and what is not. The 67 Shelby registrar is the first stop as has been mentioned before another ounce of effort is expended . If the information he has gives you enough comfort to proceed further get a Shelby inspector to check out the car. so you can make a informed decision of what to do next. Consider the money it costs to have a qualified "67 Shelby"  inspector check it out as insurance against a potential loss .   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 09:30:14 PM »
All good advice so far. One of our fellow SHELBY BROS. owns a Trans Am car that  has been front clipped with a SHELBY frontend and has the corresponding numbers to match. I almost purchased that car 40 years ago and recently met up and discussed the story with him. We always wondered if the car still exists, the front of your possible new car might be on the front of his TRANS AM car ;D This is a very small community of people that love these cars. This is the place for answers. Good luck.