News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

When in '67 did Shelby American close LAX? - Where were the last '67s built?

Started by Richstang, October 29, 2018, 04:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

I believe it was in August '67 as there is a photo showing numerous planes on the site in September '67.
Would anyone know the exact date or can you confirm the month?

That leaves me with another question. Where did the last 19-24 cars get built? (September 5 units / October 19 units)
These were all GT500's that shipped to various dealers across the country when completed.
I thought I read they were sent to Hi-Performance Motors to be completed, but just thought I'd ask to be sure.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on October 29, 2018, 04:51:09 PM
I believe it was in August '67 as there is a photo showing numerous planes on the site in September '67.
Would anyone know the exact date or can you confirm the month?

That leaves me with another question. Where did the last 19-24 cars get built? (September 5 units / October 19 units)
These were all GT500's that shipped to various dealers across the country when completed.
I thought I read they were sent to Hi-Performance Motors to be completed, but just thought I'd ask to be sure.
Sounds like all questions best directed to Dave M.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

Well first week of Aug 67, I believe 6 people from engineering reported to Ionia, so its before that

Richstang

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 29, 2018, 05:53:34 PM
Well first week of Aug 67, I believe 6 people from engineering reported to Ionia, so its before that

Thanks Pete, I would think engineering would be the first to go if they were not developing any more production models in house.
The assembly line workers might have been kept around a bit longer to finish up as much as possible sitting out on the lot. 

JD

Yes, the registry lists completion dates well after the stated closing.  But I thought they were all completed at the airport facility.

I had heard there was a skeleton crew left to complete cars and get stuff moved out(?).  May have been the reason some of the very late cars still had the Ford door tags on the drivers' doors?  (they were supposed to be removed.)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

Quote from: JD on October 29, 2018, 10:12:36 PM
Yes, the registry lists completion dates well after the stated closing.  But I thought they were all completed at the airport facility.

I had heard there was a skeleton crew left to complete cars and get stuff moved out(?).  May have been the reason some of the very late cars still had the Ford door tags on the drivers' doors?  (they were supposed to be removed.)

I'm aware of Ford door tags still in place on at least 2 late built cars. One is noted as completed in July, the other completed in October.

There are photos (Getty Images) with the race shop developing the Shelby Group VII "King Cobra" in late July '67. You can see most of the shelves are nearly empty at that point.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/shelby-group-iv-car-news-photo/155881775
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/shelby-group-iv-car-news-photo/155881776
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/shelby-group-iv-car-news-photo/155881777

Richstang

I was just told the "official" closing date for LAX was August 18th. By the end of the month the building was emptied, cleaned, and the pits were filled.

That adds another 6 cars to the total (now 30 cars) completed after the "official" close date, according to the registry. 

6s2020

Quote from: Richstang on October 30, 2018, 05:30:24 PM
I was just told the "official" closing date for LAX was August 18th. By the end of the month the building was emptied, cleaned, and the pits were filled.

That adds another 6 cars to the total (now 30 cars) completed after the "official" close date, according to the registry. 

So how would the Company cars have been sold off?
Also the Race Shop engines and the parts?
Auction, or sold out prior to closing date?

GT350DAVE

Support the SAAC Registry

Richstang

Quote from: 6s2020 on October 30, 2018, 07:04:09 PM
Quote from: Richstang on October 30, 2018, 05:30:24 PM

So how would the Company cars have been sold off?
Also the Race Shop engines and the parts?
Auction, or sold out prior to closing date?

Since the company split in three, the "Shelby Racing Company", and the "Shelby Parts Company" moved a few miles away to Torrance, CA.
Only the production line moved to AO Smith, in Michigan.

Richstang

Quote from: GT350DAVE on October 30, 2018, 10:53:22 PM
Cars were still being shipped in October and Novenber.
Dave

Where were these late August - October builds completed?

Kent

Not sure where they built the rest, but I know that the lease contract for lax was finished for 31 August 1967
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on October 30, 2018, 11:02:03 PM
Quote from: GT350DAVE on October 30, 2018, 10:53:22 PM
Cars were still being shipped in October and Novenber.
Dave

Where were these late August - October builds completed?
They could have been already built and stored off site in a holding lot.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 14, 2018, 06:51:34 PM
They rented a facility near the airport

Doug,
Do you have anything to support your comment of a rented facility near LAX for storing the last 30 or so completed '67's.

It appears there may be some truth to JD's hearsay of all of the '67s getting completed at LAX prior to closing in mid-August.
They likely needed to be kept in the area until the dealers order came in so the options (wheels/radios) could be added.

One recent discussion suggested the west side lot next to the race hanger was used for a few months.
This September photo appears to show about 15 cars in that section.