News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'67 GT500 featured in Motor Trend road test against 427 Corvette

Started by owenkelley, October 30, 2018, 01:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owenkelley

I've always been curious if this car has been identified and if it is still around. I'm assuming this is a Bronze car, but the color looks closer to Sunlit Gold from 1968 to me. Also wondered about the lack of Shelby valve covers in the photo. I remember that there was speculation that this may have been one of the 390 cars, but then I thought I heard that 390 cars had never actually been authenticated. Anybody know for sure?

JD

I think it is a Lime Gold car, I have that magazine but not at my office...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: owenkelley on October 30, 2018, 01:24:30 PM
I've always been curious if this car has been identified and if it is still around. I'm assuming this is a Bronze car, but the color looks closer to Sunlit Gold from 1968 to me. Also wondered about the lack of Shelby valve covers in the photo. I remember that there was speculation that this may have been one of the 390 cars, but then I thought I heard that 390 cars had never actually been authenticated. Anybody know for sure?

Hello Owen,

The car is serial number 00173 and it is Lime Gold.  I have attached a photo that is a zoom in on the serial number plate.

Thanks,
Eric

Alan

Noticed the black-headed rivets; when did they switch fm regular silver?
Max
'67    0029

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Alan on October 30, 2018, 03:26:19 PM
Max
SA didn't use them for very long.  158 is the earliest black ones I have in my vintage pictures and 136 the latest silver. Someone else might be able to help tighten those numbers up some.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 30, 2018, 04:03:26 PM
Max
SA didn't use them for very long.  158 is the earliest black ones I have in my vintage pictures and 136 the latest silver. Someone else might be able to help tighten those numbers up some.

Bob shared two great examples.
#0136 and #0158 were completed by Shelby American 2 DAYS apart (12/14/66 - 12/16/66). However, I would think the VIN plates were put on upon arrival at SA, not when completed (especially because they were not completed in order). It might be better to look at the San Jose build dates.

There is a 2 WEEK window between these same 2 cars out of San Jose (11/14/66 - 11/29/66). Looking at both SJ and SAI build dates we need to look at VIN #'s between 120-160. (#126 shows silver rivets with an original tag, SJ build is same as #136 on 11/14/16.)
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

honker

Here are a couple of more shots from that Motor Trend test, these might have been up on the old forum.

In the one photo looks like another Mustang in line behind the Shelby, the other photo is (I believe from the same car ?) has radio delete. I also think this was talked about on the old forum. I think Rich had more info.

Mike

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on October 30, 2018, 05:25:58 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 30, 2018, 04:03:26 PM
Max

Bob shared two great examples.
#0136 and #0158 were completed by Shelby American 2 DAYS apart (12/14/66 - 12/16/66). However, I would think the VIN plates were put on upon arrival at SA, not when completed (especially because they were not completed in order). It might be better to look at the San Jose build dates.

There is a 2 WEEK window between these same 2 cars out of San Jose (11/14/66 - 11/29/66). Looking at both SJ and SAI build dates we need to look at VIN #'s between 120-160. (#126 shows silver rivets with an original tag, SJ build is same as #136 on 11/14/16.)
I don't think the build at SJ is relevant to when the tags were put on at SA.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

I understand the cars still had to be shipped from SJ to SA and we don't know when they arrived. It could be a day later or maybe 2 weeks later depending on scheduling, the number of completed unit, how many rail cars were available to load, etc. That's why I'm suggesting we look at both the finished SJ date and the completed SA dates to see what falls in between. (Trying to cover all the bases).

I really find it hard to believe the VIN plates were added after completion, would you agree with that thought?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on October 30, 2018, 10:18:35 PM
I understand the cars still had to be shipped from SJ to SA and we don't know when they arrived. It could be a day later or maybe 2 weeks later depending on scheduling, the number of completed unit, how many rail cars were available to load, etc. That's why I'm suggesting we look at both the finished SJ date and the completed SA dates to see what falls in between. (Trying to cover all the bases).

I really find it hard to believe the VIN plates were added after completion, would you agree with that thought?
I agree 100% with that line of thinking. I am sure the VIN plate helped in one way or another with keeping track of cars during the Shelby conversion process from beginning to end.

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 30, 2018, 10:24:05 PM
Quote from: Richstang on October 30, 2018, 10:18:35 PM

I agree 100% with that line of thinking. I am sure the VIN plate helped in one way or another with keeping track of cars during the Shelby conversion process from beginning to end.
Thanks Bob

Side-Oilers

https://www.motortrend.com/news/shelbyvette/

427 Vette ran 13.8/104 mph.  435 hp, 4-speed, 3.55 posi.

The Shelby was noted in the article as being 0.7 sec slower. But its spec chart isn't shown in this link. (It was included in the original magazine article, but I just don't have that handy to look at.)
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model