News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Inside the maintenance free battery

Started by Coralsnake, October 31, 2018, 05:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350shelb

its a miata battery   you just figured that out   pete  :)    there are better options  to replace it
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Coralsnake

Well, its not that I just figured it out, its just the first time I saw it

rockhouse66

Quote from: Don Johnston on October 31, 2018, 10:40:34 PM
What does the inner battery have printed on it?

Yes!  How about a picture of the label on the battery please?

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 01, 2018, 07:28:24 AM
Well, its not that I just figured it out, its just the first time I saw it

I've seen the cables on these style batteries by unscrewing the caps and looking in.

Folks are getting years of service out of them, I don't see what the issue is??

The cool thing is if you figure out the size of the internal battery, easy enough to replace if needed and keep the outer shell.  Be interested in the actual battery number and cost to replace.  I'm guessing it's cheaper than buying a whole new Autolite repro.

I didn't know the tops came off like that though, so helpful in that regard.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

427heaven

It seems like most of us feel if we pay for a whole battery and get half a battery we are getting ripped off, well we are SORTA- :'(

68stangcjfb

That's a group 27 battery. I can only imagine how small the battery is in a group 24 case.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

roddster

I have done that with two batteries.  The first was a dead Autolite repop.  The 2nd was a dead factory 68 battery.  Both times I cut the bottom out and did exactly what is shown.
  The battery that fits is a Mazda Miata battery.  Well, lets say it starts a GT 350.  I'll find out in a year or so if it will start a 428.
  And yeah, you will only have to buy a repop Autolite once.  After it goes dead, you do this conversion.
  Thanks Pete for the photos.

gt350hr

Small batteries with short battery cables do a good job of starting engines. Look at a "jumper pack" that is very popular these days It's just a small AGM battery in a plastic case with a handle and two cables. You clamp it on and boom , your car starts. Truth is it would start the car on it's own without the car's regular battery. I've known for years there was an AGM battery inside of a repop case on these pfferings. I have a small Oddesy  (PC625 IIRC) in my Shelby mounted in the stock battery tray along with my MSD 7AL2 ignition box. I have replaced it twice in the last 18 years. As most guys have experienced , AGM batteries give little warning when they fail but I never had one not start unless it was dead. They usually die from sulfation or "internal short/void". My battery is about 5"x7" and 6" tall. It is half the weight of a lead acid conventional battery.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Coralsnake

I can look at the script on the inner battery. I think the cover is bonded to the lower case, because it had to be "broken" to come apart. I think if you use something like a dremel, you could get a clean separation.

Coralsnake

Quote from: gt350hr on November 01, 2018, 11:15:21 AM
   Small batteries with short battery cables do a good job of starting engines. Look at a "jumper pack" that is very popular these days It's just a small AGM battery in a plastic case with a handle and two cables. You clamp it on and boom , your car starts. Truth is it would start the car on it's own without the car's regular battery. I've known for years there was an AGM battery inside of a repop case on these pfferings. I have a small Oddesy  (PC625 IIRC) in my Shelby mounted in the stock battery tray along with my MSD 7AL2 ignition box. I have replaced it twice in the last 18 years. As most guys have experienced , AGM batteries give little warning when they fail but I never had one not start unless it was dead. They usually die from sulfation or "internal short/void". My battery is about 5"x7" and 6" tall. It is half the weight of a lead acid conventional battery.
    Randy

An Odyssey battery is superior to all other commercially available batteries, including Optimas. Just don't let them discharge fully (that applies to all AGMs).

I too knew there was an AGM inside, I just expected it to be just slightly smaller than the inside of the Autolite case.

Were you able to get the lid off of the Autolite case without breaking it?

Any tips on how to do that?

Bill

Quote from: 2112 on November 01, 2018, 12:40:27 PM

You saw picture number 2, right ?

Heat sealed together, there will be damage no matter what you do.

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

BGlover67

I had one of these die a few years ago.  I cut the top off, and had to remove the bottom also to swap out the battery.  I remove the red paint on the lettering and installed NOS yellow caps.  But no matter what I did, I couldn't make it a size 22F!  Still so frustrated that no one makes that size.

I've tried a few inner replacement batteries from Batteries Plus store , but none would hold a charge very long.  Last battery I installed was designed for a Miata I was told.  if I didn't use a trickle charger, my car would start to give me trouble after an hours drive.  Frustrating!
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Quote from: Bill on November 01, 2018, 12:45:02 PM
Quote from: 2112 on November 01, 2018, 12:40:27 PM

You saw picture number 2, right ?

Heat sealed together, there will be damage no matter what you do.

I did see #2, But all things considered, I thought it was a pretty nice job of separating the two.