News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Security while traveling with your Shelby

Started by TedS, November 04, 2018, 07:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

A large fully charged industrial capacitor attached to the door handle with a hidden off on switch. Sort of like a taser on steroids. Be sure to put the damp metal plate in the ground to insure good contact
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

TedS

You guys have some great ideas. All these seem important:
Vigilance
Insurance
Alarms
Denver boots
Tracking
Parking location
Hollow points
Creative wiring
Good lawyer

Side-Oilers

If I trailer the Shelby more, I'll think about buying a portable doggie fence with three pit bulls on the inside, to guard my rig.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Screw the mileage, this the perfect traveling rig.
Nobody in their right mind would bother it
Plus any slow cars (@i.e. "Prius") are ripe for the taking
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

69mach351w

Quote from: TedS on November 04, 2018, 07:35:41 PM
If I were traveling with my Shelby, either driving or on an open trailer and needed to stay overnight in a hotel/motel I'd be interested to here ideas for security. High tech, low tech, any thing.
Thanks in advance
Ted
SHELBY?!  I think I'd be investing in an enclosed trailer!

Quote from: Bigfoot on November 05, 2018, 08:05:34 PM
I like the capacitor idea
It has to be big enough to make them lose bowel and bladder control, but not enough to kill them. Be sure that car is on rubber flooring to protect it. Used to get them at Army/Navy Surplus stores
Don't get one big enough to kill them, then it skirts actroublesome area of the law
Also big sure to have a big, really big warning sign on the Dorrie, warning of "Possible Electrocution and Death if tapered with"
Sign on the side of trailer should indicate that you are carrying high tension electrical supplies

zray

I've been driving cross country for several decades in classic cars, including Shelby's . By following two  easy to observe guidelines, I've never had any issues wih damages, or security.

1). Don't stay in a big city if possible. Plan your trip so every overnight is in a small town

2) my first stop in the overnight location was always at the local Police Dept. I presented myself as a tourist. and asked if I could park my Shelby overnight in the secure Police Dept. lot adjacent to Police HQ.

Without exception, the Police were not only agreeable, but they were downright enthusiastic about having an opportunity to see closeup a premier example of American automotive history. I did give a few rides, and was happy to do so.

I never lost a minute of sleep worrying about the cars safety, and had the bonus of spreading a lot of good vibes along my journeys.

Z

shelbydoug

Don't leave your gun in the glove compartment. Wear a shoulder holster and pretend your are Lt. Bullet.  ;)

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: zray on November 05, 2018, 09:19:46 PM
I've been driving cross country for several decades in classic cars, including Shelby's . By following two  easy to observe guidelines, I've never had any issues wih damages, or security.

1). Don't stay in a big city if possible. Plan your trip so every overnight is in a small town

2) my first stop in the overnight location was always at the local Police Dept. I presented myself as a tourist. and asked if I could park my Shelby overnight in the secure Police Dept. lot adjacent to Police HQ.

Without exception, the Police were not only agreeable, but they were downright enthusiastic about having an opportunity to see closeup a premier example of American automotive history. I did give a few rides, and was happy to do so.

I never lost a minute of sleep worrying about the cars safety, and had the bonus of spreading a lot of good vibes along my journeys.

Z

Great words of wisdom - thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

Don Johnston

This slight modification should do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg

Trailer?  You don't need no stinking trailer! 8)

kjspeed

Unfortunately, this only works in states that are reciprocal. NY, CT and MA form a barrier that effectively prevents me from lawfully carrying in ME, VT & NH if I travel by car. Too bad we don't have an enumerated right to "keep and bear arms" that would apply equally in every state. I guess I should be grateful that my driver's license is reciprocal (for now).  >:(
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 05, 2018, 09:57:30 PM
Don't leave your gun in the glove compartment. Wear a shoulder holster and pretend your are Lt. Bullet.  ;)
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Greg

Food for thought.....

In the current day and time we live in, I wonder how many people would actually kill someone if you caught them trying to take your car.  You will not only take the persons life, but probably wind up in jail for many years destroying your own family in the process and the car would be sold anyway to pay your legal bills. 

Remember, the legal system doesn't see protecting a vehicle as protecting yourself through use of deadly force as a justified right.  Only use a gun if you are willing to accept the full consequence of the law and know it will be against you.  This is one case where you need to let the police do their job.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

zray

Quote from: Greg on November 06, 2018, 09:23:50 AM
".......Remember, the legal system doesn't see protecting a vehicle as protecting yourself through use of deadly force as a justified right.  Only use a gun if you are willing to accept the full consequence of the law and know it will be against you.  This is one case where you need to let the police do their job.

^^^^^^^ +1

Loss of vehicle, whether thru theft or accident, is something that I pay Hagerty to worry about. There are very few, if any, Shelby's that cannot be replaced with another Shelby of equal value. Sure, it will be a pain in the butt, and be time consuming, but there aren't many "one of one" cars that aren't already in some museum.

Z

kjspeed

100% correct Greg. I did not mean to imply that I would use deadly force to prevent an otherwise non-life threatening theft. Responsible gun ownership includes knowing when, where and why it should come out of the holster in addition to knowing what to do when it does come out.

That being said, I do believe I would confront anyone attempting to make off with my car, truck or trailer. What happens after that is entirely up to them. Running away would be their best option.

One other thing my car has that makes it less appealing to a thief - it's a stick shift. I'm pretty sure that over half of younger would-be car thieves couldn't drive it.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt