Author Topic: Security while traveling with your Shelby  (Read 11455 times)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
Re: Security while traveling with your Shelby
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »
I think if you make it unattractive to steal, parking in a police department is a great idea, adds lots of locks, cut off switch’s, chains, Denver boots and the like you can make a thief move on to something easier to steal.  You certainly don’t want to mark the enclosed trailer with a big Shelby photo or sticker, you are raising a red flag to “steal me”. I try and park it in areas that preclude stealing, lock it up, locks on the hood, steering wheel lock, lock bar between brakes and steering wheel and few other choice items. I did get as a gift in the “goodie bag” at the NRA show a few years back a real neat cable lock for a gun. Since I don’t own a gun, I have used it to lock the hood latch from underneath. Real hard to cut and real hard to get off if you don’t have the key.
I’ve driven mine a lot, parked it in a lot of hotel lots, restaurants, museums, etc. and have only had one thing stolen, that was the hood pins in Disneyland in the middle 70’s
Like someone mentioned, stay diligent, don’t do stupid things, don’t draw attention to the car and take as many safety precautions as possible. If you get real paranoid and worry that everyonevis out to steal it, then you will never enjoy it and isn’t the enjoyment of driving a legend the best part of having a Shelby?
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 03:32:31 PM »

I'll add my 2 cents, I always check out my planned stops (hotels & Restaurants) via Google earth. You can check for parking access, lighting, neighboring businesses or potential problem areas ahead of time. Some Hotel chains provide better lighting, camera's and even nighttime security patrol. When traveling with a friend and his trailer at night we will intentionally park alongside each other facing in opposite directions. We park as close as possible, this covers our side access doors.
I have additional locks on my ramp and side access doors which are activated remotely in addition to the factory locks. My truck has a remote kill switch that disables the electrics, besides that I have the usual locks on the truck ball hitch, and  trailer hitch release. My trailer is a "plain jane" white trailer with no identifying  decals or markings, I have welded the Vin numbers of my trailer on the hitch in clear view for additional identification in the event it were stolen, but also as a deterrent.
I plan on adding GPS units to both vehicles in the near future. 

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2018, 11:03:32 PM »
I've been driving cross country for several decades in classic cars, including Shelby's . By following two  easy to observe guidelines, I've never had any issues wih damages, or security.

1). Don't stay in a big city if possible. Plan your trip so every overnight is in a small town

2) my first stop in the overnight location was always at the local Police Dept. I presented myself as a tourist. and asked if I could park my Shelby overnight in the secure Police Dept. lot adjacent to Police HQ.

Without exception, the Police were not only agreeable, but they were downright enthusiastic about having an opportunity to see closeup a premier example of American automotive history. I did give a few rides, and was happy to do so.

I never lost a minute of sleep worrying about the cars safety, and had the bonus of spreading a lot of good vibes along my journeys.

Z

Good idea but how do you get from the police parking lot to the hotel?   

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2018, 11:21:01 PM »
I've been driving cross country for several decades in classic cars, including Shelby's . By following two  easy to observe guidelines, I've never had any issues wih damages, or security.

1). Don't stay in a big city if possible. Plan your trip so every overnight is in a small town

2) my first stop in the overnight location was always at the local Police Dept. I presented myself as a tourist. and asked if I could park my Shelby overnight in the secure Police Dept. lot adjacent to Police HQ.

Without exception, the Police were not only agreeable, but they were downright enthusiastic about having an opportunity to see closeup a premier example of American automotive history. I did give a few rides, and was happy to do so.

I never lost a minute of sleep worrying about the cars safety, and had the bonus of spreading a lot of good vibes along my journeys.

Z

Good idea but how do you get from the police parking lot to the hotel?

The last time I went cross country in a Shelby I overnighted in Las Vegas, New Mexico. IIRC, it was only 2 blocks to my downtown Hotel, and I walked. Other times I rode in a squad car at the invitation of some very nice patrolmen, and I've even taxied once or twice, but rarely.  In most cases I've stayed in towns small enough to walk anywhere in the city limits in a few minutes, knowing my Shelby or other classic was in a secure fenced lot with plenty of  protective eyes on it all night long.

Z

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 12:39:33 AM »
For those of us who legally can a 1911. I never leave home without it.

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 01:07:40 PM »

This is where built vs. bought mentality plays out.  My car is not for sale at any price, and I have been offered profoundly stupid money for it.  If I caught someone in the act of stealing of vandalizing it, it would not end well.  I afford others the same respect and demand the same.

I've built, and I've bought.

In both cases, I'm not willing to ruin my life by taking someone else's over a matter of property.  As pointed out previously, in this country witnessing a theft is not grounds for homicide. The days of lynching or shooting horse thieves, essentially what's being discussed, are over.

Even if you avoid prison (not likely), you'd be paying $100,000 - $500,000 for attorney fees.  Likely enough to buy a couple of Shelby's. 

It's one thing to talk big about shooting a car thief. Doing it is a whole different reality  that's going to change you and your families circumstances, and not for the better.

A philosophy that's served me well is pretty simple: "...Don't cry over anything that can't cry over you....."  Last I looked, Shelby's don't come with tear ducts.

Z.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 01:45:26 PM »
+ 1
 questions I ask before leaving the house
1 is the car insurance paid
2 do the lights work
3 do the windshield wipers work
we gone....

This is where built vs. bought mentality plays out.  My car is not for sale at any price, and I have been offered profoundly stupid money for it.  If I caught someone in the act of stealing of vandalizing it, it would not end well.  I afford others the same respect and demand the same.

In both cases, I'm not willing to ruin my life by taking someone else's over a matter of property.  As pointed out previously, in this country witnessing a theft is not grounds for homicide. The days of lynching or shooting horse thieves, essentially what's being discussed, are over.

Even if you avoid prison (not likely), you'd be paying $100,000 - $500,000 for attorney fees.  Likely enough to buy a couple of Shelby's. 

It's one thing to talk big about shooting a car thief. Doing it is a whole different reality  that's going to change you and your families circumstances, and not for the better.

A philosophy that's served me well is pretty simple: "...Don't cry over anything that can't cry over you....."  Last I looked, Shelby's don't come with tear ducts.

Z.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 04:56:20 PM »

Z.

You are absolutely correct, as much as you want to "dirty Harry" a thief you better let the police handle it or YOU will be the one going to prison.  The justice system is not as clear as it once was and the bleeding heart, prius driving liberals will send you away for it. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »
+ 1

Z.

You are absolutely correct, as much as you want to "dirty Harry" a thief you better let the police handle it or YOU will be the one going to prison.  The justice system is not as clear as it once was and the bleeding heart, prius driving liberals will send you away for it.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2018, 11:55:30 PM »
+ 1
 questions I ask before leaving the house
1 is the car insurance paid
2 do the lights work
3 do the windshield wipers work
we gone....

Yup, I do the same plus check to make sure the tires are round.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 02:21:48 AM »

Z.

Even if you were able to avoid criminal charges, you will assuredly be sued by thief or their family for damages. This also can cost several hundred thousand dollars to defend and in many areas, you are more likely than not to lose that legal battle.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2018, 02:06:26 PM »
For those of us who legally can a 1911. I never leave home without it.
Like this one?

And yes, I do possess a CCP and carry it everywhere I go ;D

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2018, 04:08:02 PM »
The picture is of a Colt 1903 Pocket Auto. It was built in .32 and .380 caliber. It's design predates the Model 1911 .45.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2018, 07:40:41 PM »
Yep, it is a model 1903 pocket hammerless .32 ACP. It was produced in the year 1915 as confirmed by the serial number.

This pistol was handed down 3 generations to me. Shoots extremely accurate in a shot pattern less than 6 inches at 20 paces.

And I do carry it everywhere I go ;)

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2019, 09:29:00 PM »
I had the opportunity this weekend to use many of the suggestions presented here.  I did a lot of things to assure that what ever a thief tried he wasn't going to be quiet or quick. But assuming all this could fail I added a GPS tracker. This little guy is easy to hide in a car and reports its location every 60 seconds. For higher monthly fees you can cut that to 30 seconds or 10 seconds. The image below shows a portion of my 3-hour trip back home after today's event.

https://www.optimustracker.com/product-page/optimus-2-0-gps-tracker