News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Dumb Drum Brake questions

Started by Steve Meltzer, December 10, 2023, 09:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Meltzer

Lincoln Tech right you are! I guess I forgot the little chemistry I knew,, and in addition I forgot my Gilbert chemistry set when I made that quick judgment! Thanks again, Steve

KR Convertible

If it's gear oil, it would be the axle seals.  The seals are pressed into the axle tube behind the bearing.  "Axle gaskets" as you called them don't stop the oil. It's a rubber seal versus a paper gasket.  Axle needs to be removed to replace either.  Best of luck.

Steve Meltzer

Hey KR convertible.... thanks for your input. He replaced the paper gaskets said and that the seals were pliable, good and did not need to be replaced. I was only passing by when he did the work and the axles were removed. He said it was gear oil that was leaking so now I'm concerned at he didn't do what he was supposed to. I was in the middle of working in the house when the mechanic did the work in my garage. So, I'm not entirely sure what he did, other than what he told me. The paper gaskets were clearly a disaster and were replaced. The rubber seals were not.  I'm certain of that. Thanks, Steve

KR Convertible

I guess you'll know if it happens again.  There could be a groove in the axle where the seal contacts it as well.  If I go to the trouble of pulling the axles, I do both seals and gaskets and if I'm not sure about the bearings, I do them too.  Also a good time to change the gear oil.  Then I know I'm good for quite a while.

Steve Meltzer

Thanks. He specifically said there were no grooves in the axles and they looked great as did the seals. I guess we could still do the oil change on the since the car is on the lift. What is recommended for these cars? The mechanic who did the work has always struck me as being extremely knowledgeable, unlike the owner. Steve