News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT500 Clutch Pedal Support Spring

Started by 67GT500#1594, November 04, 2018, 07:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67GT500#1594

Needs some help here please. Trying to assemble my clutch/ brake pedal support here. While disassembling my original it had a totally different spring than what I've normally seen. It has this spring listed below:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302942815836

Is this the correct spring or should it use the standard C2OZ spring?? I'd never heard or seen another difference before seeing this posting on eBay?? Interestingly my car also had a C8 support bracket? My car was a 3/20/67 build date?

Thanks for any insight and help!
Regards, Matt

427heaven

Call CJ pony parts or Brandas... They are 16 dollars not 150.00 like epay. Good luck :)

67GT500#1594

NOPE, this spring is longer and has ground down sides. It also has more coils on it. Trust me, I have an original, a repo AND this "different" one that came off my car.

67GT500#1594

Maybe this will help... 1st repo, 2nd GT500 original?, 3rd original off a 67 manual brake small block.

427heaven

One of the major suppliers will have what you are looking for. Springs are usually not too complicated to duplicate. A major item of consideration to think about is if you use an aftermarket diaphragm clutch which requires much less foot pressure. A stock spring will not work once the clutch pedal goes over center the very stiff stock spring will keep your pedal to the floor. Good Luck!

Bob Gaines

Yes, the big block spring is different compared to the small block or 6 cylinder spring .  The others smallblock /6cyl spring will work but the big block spring is what came from the factory and is unique. It is different tension and coils.  It is typically identified by Ford  by being painted white before being installed. The one on ebay looks pink  . The big block spring has not been reproduced heck most don't even know that there is a difference so no surprise there.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Here is a picture of the bigblock spring with what remains of the identification color. The sides of the connecting ends are flattened out compared to the completely round wire on the smallblock/6cyl spring in the same area.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Fast Fords

Is this the correct spring for a big block ?

Also, do 68 big blocks use the same spring ?

Thanks...Greg.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Fast Fords on November 04, 2018, 10:04:51 PM
Is this the correct spring for a big block ?

Also, do 68 big blocks use the same spring ?

Thanks...Greg.
It looks like it except for the color(maybe my monitor ). It is typically very White White .  They are the same on 68.

67GT500#1594

Thank you Mr. Gaines!! It really struck me as odd that this spring was entirely different but with all the other mods on my car, you just never know.

It's again, one of those weird items that's unique to 67's/ 68's that many don't know of!! Now, where's that can of white paint??

Your the best! Regards, Matt

shelbydoug

That is Perogie who is selling it on ebay. They have a lot of original parts but gold trades cheaper.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

Seems the little white plastic insulating piece is missing in the photo of three.  It keeps the spring quiet when you actuate the pedal.

1967 eight barrel

Just to let you know you can still run the stock over-center spring with a center force clutch. You'll need to add the 65-6 emergency brake return spring to assist in the bottom clutch release lever spring. It works perfect. A trick from the local mustang restoration shop they use on FE cars with pedal return issues.
                                                                                          -Keith

67GT500#1594

Thanks Keith. I was able to clean everything up and finish the pedals up. The pedals were really messed up from a hard life of drag racing!! Should be good to go now!

1967 eight barrel

Looking good! I did the same with mine. The pedals from Ford were dipped, so the top of the pedals were bare. I have seen a lot of bent clutch pedals over the years. I had the roller bearings put in just  relieve stress on the pedal support assembly.

-Keith