News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Annoying words sellers use when advertising a car

Started by BGlover67, November 05, 2018, 11:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on November 26, 2018, 11:00:35 PM
Quote from: 2112 on November 26, 2018, 10:15:09 PM
Restomod is another word that varies greatly in definition.

I don know, either your car is restored or it's a restomod.

We used to just say it was custom.

Chris

It has only been a recent phenomenon that a restored car had to be stock right down to the horrible tires used at the time of production.

I bring that up as it seems it is being suggested that anything less than that (bias-ply tires) means the car is a Restomod.

Don Johnston

Rehabilitated for operational use or refurbished for reliability might be closer to what I have done with my Shelby.  Does that work and be less annoying?   8)

Peter L.

Refurbished for reliability..... I like that. Totally works.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: 2112 on November 26, 2018, 11:31:00 PM
Quote from: Chris Thauberger on November 26, 2018, 11:00:35 PM
Quote from: 2112 on November 26, 2018, 10:15:09 PM
Restomod is another word that varies greatly in definition.

I don know, either your car is restored or it's a restomod.

We used to just say it was custom.

Chris

It has only been a recent phenomenon that a restored car had to be stock right down to the horrible tires used at the time of production.

I bring that up as it seems it is being suggested that anything less than that (bias-ply tires) means the car is a Restomod.

... more like it is being suggested it is NOT restored by the literal definition of the word(restored).

It appears attaching the word "restored" to ones work is nothing more than an attempt to elevate its status, hence the annoyance of it use in advertising.
I don't view the word restored as having an open definition.

Restomod on the other hand is a troubling descriptor. It is a portmanteau of what I can only assume is restored and modified. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
I'm not sure which snake oil salesman from BJ coined the word but it is by definition an oxymoron.

I still prefer the words custom or personalized, but that's just me.

JMHO

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

kjspeed

Here is one source's opinion on the difference between restored and restomod: https://www.opgi.com/blog/2013/07/restomod-or-restoration/

I've thought of a restomod as a portmanteau (nice word Chris!) of restored and modernized because most vehicles that I've seen described as restomods will combine an older body with newer running gear such as a Coyote motor in a classic Mustang. This combination would differ from a Day 2 car (like my Shelby) in that my car is modified with equipment that was sourced in the 70's rather than stuff coming out in the last 5-10 years.

In any event, the description "restored" as used when selling a car can vary from factory-correct to 'I washed it last week'.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Don Johnston

Some of the confusion with the resto-mod term is whether "mod" means modern, as in non-original period engine and drive train (as in many of the Shelby licensed CR series Mustangs using original Mustang bodies with modern engines).  Or does
"mod" mean modified as in different brand of engine, changed suspension system, mega tires and rims, super moern giga-watt sound system, etc.   Few vintage vehicles have the original (and highly valued) engine, but some will work to find date coded replacements and other parts.  Sometimes, changes are made for safety reasons.  But when the vehicle is taken down to bare bones and put back as close to but not exaclty to concours standard, what do we call it?   The body shop industry terms appear confusing to me. 8)

1967 eight barrel

So by Chris' definition the change of a cam, valve sizes, boring the block or chrome plating on ORIGINAL Ford/Shelby parts would make it a resto-mod. Hardly! Is the Super Snake considered a restomod? 
The changes made are all parts that were available during the period the vehicle was manufactured, or reproductions of said parts.
Many right out of the Ford/Shelby performance catalogs.  I didn't lose the flavor of the vehicle as manufactured. I just got tired of seeing every vehicle displayed looking the same. Other than lots of shine and go, It's relatively close to how it rolled out of Shelby-American 

Truth be known had I stayed with factory finishes, most wouldn't be the wiser with the exception of the lope of the cam and the headers that changes were made. The Arning drop, #600 rate springs, 17" rims and modern rubber give the vehicle better manners and traction. Polyglas tires are outright dangerous. Especially in high-horsepower vehicles.
Most have a hard time distinguishing the slight nuances on my vehicle. Once again, for anyone who a actually drives their car on the street understands why.  At the end of the day I'll pass on getting smoked by a Honda Civic.
If you want a dust collector, be my guest. It's your vehicle and at least for now we still have a few liberties that less than 1% of us paid for in blood.
However, don't ever tell me my vehicle isn't restored. It absolutely is.  Better than about 95% of the ones I see for sale or at shows, and that's been a slew of them over the last 30 + years.
I may come off a bit hard-nosed but I have had to contend with more than a few comments made directly to me about my vehicle and how it's sacrilege to plate parts and not simply make it look like 99% of the Shelbys I see at shows.  I hear sphincter clenching regularly amongst some in the community, and in all honesty outside of Shelby Concours community the feedback has been all positive.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on November 29, 2018, 12:23:48 PM
So by Chris' definition the change of a cam, valve sizes, boring the block or chrome plating on ORIGINAL Ford/Shelby parts would make it a resto-mod. Hardly! Is the Super Snake considered a restomod? 
The changes made are all parts that were available during the period the vehicle was manufactured, or reproductions of said parts.
Many right out of the Ford/Shelby performance catalogs.  I didn't lose the flavor of the vehicle as manufactured. I just got tired of seeing every vehicle displayed looking the same. Other than lots of shine and go, It's relatively close to how it rolled out of Shelby-American 

Truth be known had I stayed with factory finishes, most wouldn't be the wiser with the exception of the lope of the cam and the headers that changes were made. The Arning drop, #600 rate springs, 17" rims and modern rubber give the vehicle better manners and traction. Polyglas tires are outright dangerous. Especially in high-horsepower vehicles.
Most have a hard time distinguishing the slight nuances on my vehicle. Once again, for anyone who a actually drives their car on the street understands why.  At the end of the day I'll pass on getting smoked by a Honda Civic.
If you want a dust collector, be my guest. It's your vehicle and at least for now we still have a few liberties that less than 1% of us paid for in blood.
However, don't ever tell me my vehicle isn't restored. It absolutely is.  Better than about 95% of the ones I see for sale or at shows, and that's been a slew of them over the last 30 + years.
I may come off a bit hard-nosed but I have had to contend with more than a few comments made directly to me about my vehicle and how it's sacrilege to plate parts and not simply make it look like 99% of the Shelbys I see at shows.  I hear sphincter clenching regularly amongst some in the community, and in all honesty outside of Shelby Concours community the feedback has been all positive.
I agree with Chris when he said he said that personalized is a better term . To me it can be expressed without negative connotation.  There is a place for all different points of view. The common denominator is the love of the cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Don Johnston on November 27, 2018, 09:18:23 PM
Some of the confusion with the resto-mod term is whether "mod" means modern, as in non-original period engine and drive train (as in many of the Shelby licensed CR series Mustangs using original Mustang bodies with modern engines).  Or does "mod" mean modified as in different brand of engine, .................

Depends on ones definition of "resto - mod"

If you follow the original term and its use it was a restored car with some period modifications. Like what is being referred to as day two for many currently. Resto-mod morphed into something else as more and more magazines and shops used and applied the term. Guess it's up to the people that got the copy write on the term now to define it
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Peter L.

In conclusion, I don't find it an annoying term, which was the original subject of this post. I do find it now to be overused. Personally I've never liked 'resto-mods', they rate right up there with rat rods on my dislike-o-meter.  I can appreciate the time, effort and money that goes into them, just not my thing.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

shelbydoug

I think "day 2" explains it better and differentiates between a resto-mod. I see the distinction between the two.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mark p

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

gt350hr

I don't want to re read but "opportunity" in ANY description especially when connected to "of a lifetime". Take the current '65K convertible bounced around here  IF it was and original '66 GT350 convertible it would be an opportunity of a life time but no one needs to hype one of them.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350hr

1967 eight barrel,

"I" look at it as when you own it do what you want. If "I" don't like what you've done that's "my" problem not yours. I still fully respect your car and your vision for it.

With respect to the Super snake the switch to the 427 was done BEFORE it was sold  to the public the same as ALL SAI vehicles were. Anyone dare call the twin Paxton Cobras a restomod? Green Hornet, Little red , '65 R models? No I didn't think so.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Quote from: mark p on December 13, 2018, 04:30:21 PM
Unmolested

(yeah, right  ???)

Actually, this one bothers me when I hear buyers drone on about it.

First, it is a car. Not a sentient being. Second, after 50 years, very few cars have been completely untouched. Using such an inflammatory and derogatory word towards most remaining cars, and a lot of cars that were resurected from the dead just seems extremely gauche, to put it politely.

::)