Author Topic: 1969 Cougar XR-7 “R Code” convertible at the Russo & Steele Auction - Scottsdale  (Read 6213 times)

R Code

• View Profile
After 32 year of ownership, I have decided to consign the "R Code" to the Russo & Steele auction this January in Scottsdale.  While lot numbers/auction times have not yet been assigned (R&S assigns them somewhat last minute based on the mix of cars, etc.), I expect the car will cross the block AT NO RESERVE sometime on Fri 1/18 or Sat 1/19, and will provide an update as the dates draw closer.

It feels like selling a family member, but I also know it's time to concentrate on other projects, and pass this amazing car on to a new owner in hopes they cherish like we have.  Thanks to all my Cougar, SAAC & MCA pals for the help, knowledge, and support that have made the car better, and made owning it so freaking EPIC.  We will party with this thing one last time, and send it across the block with good vibes for the next caretaker.

Rest assured, I'm not going anywhere.  I still have the '67 Cougar, '89 Merkur, crew on my father-in-law's '66 Mustang coupe and will keep tinkering with old cars until they take my keys away, LOL

Some particulars on the upcoming auction: 
What: Russo and Steele Scottsdale
When: Thursday, January 17th – Sunday, January 20th  - I expect the car to cross the block Fri or Sat evening.
Where: SALT RIVER FIELDS AT TALKING STICK - 7555 N Pima Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85258

For those not familiar with the car, here are a few talking points:

1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 “R Code” convertible: factory equipped with a Ram Air 428CJ engine, automatic transmission (C-6 with a cast iron tail shaft & correct R servo), black leather interior, W code yellow paint, air conditioning, tilt away wheel, console, AM/FM stereo, power steering, brakes and top with glass backlight. Originally equipped with a 3.00 open rear, it now sports a 3.25 traction lock in an N case (original gears/N case and the original, re-cored radiator are available).

Production statistics: Per Kevin Marti’s research, there were 4,024 XR-7 convertibles produced in 1969, and just 127 of them had the R Code 428CJ engine, 96 of those with an automatic transmission.  Of those, 4 were produced in W code yellow, and only this one had black leather interior.

Survival rate: Per the Cougar Club of America’s 428CJ Registrar, Scott Taylor, as of November 2018 only 45 1969 XR-7 “R Code” convertibles are known to the registry (10 4 speeds/35 automatics).

Notable Awards: Cougar Club of America Concours Gold National award winner 2x (judging sheets available), AACA Grand National Senior award (2016).

Other: featured in Speed Channel’s American Muscle Car T.V. Show: The Sign of the Cat originally aired June 2nd 2005 (searchable on YouTube).  Also featured on Year One’s website, CCOA’s ATSOC publication (3x), the 2013 AACA Calendar.

Documentation: Original factory to dealer invoice (Eminger Report), Deluxe & Elite Marti Reports.

Engine is non-original but date coded within reason.  Rebuilt to factory specifications, it has been bored .030 over and align honed, fully balanced rotating assembly, forged pistons (10.5:1), moly rings, Motorsport cam. Correct 735 CFM Holley carb, “X” fuel pump, and distributor.  Factory exhaust manifolds have been Jet Hot coated in cast iron gray.

I've owned the car for 32 years since purchasing it from a longtime family friend, and the rotisserie restoration to concours specs was completed in 2005 by noted FoMoCo guru Ed Gaczek (now retired).
- Chris

R Code

• View Profile
Russo & Steele Auction - Scottsdale
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 01:11:57 AM »
- Chris

R Code

• View Profile
Russo & Steele Auction - Scottsdale
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 01:13:59 AM »
a few pics
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:15:35 AM by R Code »
- Chris

Stillakid54

• View Profile
As a fellow XR7 CJ-R convert owner, beautiful car. I am sure it is hard to part with it. Best of success with the sale.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

Cobrask8

• View Profile
I still remember when you and Phil found that car, and the early fun you had before it was restored. It will be quite change for you, but hopefully it's sale can open other doors for you.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Rare car that looks well done plus the top drops  ;D . Best of luck with the auction and finding that beautiful car a new home.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

R Code

• View Profile
“R Code” convertible at the Russo & Steele Auction - Scottsdale
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 12:19:45 PM »
I appreciate the kind words, guys.  When I bought it back in the 80's, I could never have dreamed of all the cool people I'd meet, experiences, etc. that I'd have in connection with this car.  It has certainly been a trip worth taking. 8)
- Chris

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
Nice looking car, hope it brings enough money for you to enjoy life and hope it has enough memories to last a lifetime.
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

gt350shelb

• View Profile
When I  saw that car the 1st time  my parts managers wife was driving  it back and forth to school she was a teacher . I knew it was rare then  …  I kept 00212 and passed this one over to  R code .  it was  tough to give it up but  he has  provided a great home for  the cougar!   
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

R Code

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Cougar XR-7 “R Code” convertible
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »
When I  saw that car the 1st time  my parts managers wife was driving  it back and forth to school she was a teacher . I knew it was rare then  …  I kept 00212 and passed this one over to  R code .  it was  tough to give it up but  he has  provided a great home for  the cougar!

You & I turned a lot of wrenches on a lot of cars together, old buddy.  Good times I wouldn't trade for all the tea in China.
- Chris

R Code

• View Profile
- Chris

R Code

• View Profile
R Code Cougar
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »
UPDATE: The car is slated to cross the block on Sat evening, run # S719.

I'm very glad they gave it a prime time spot, up there with the big dogs!

If you are at the auctions, stop by & say "hi" to Dave W. (Wed, Thurs), me (Thurs, Fri, Sat) & a revolving cast of characters.

Link to full catalog (downloadable as a PDF)
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/15df33a3#/15df33a3/1
- Chris

propayne

• View Profile
Good luck Chris!

Wish you could bring it out to Carlisle one last time - this summer we are celebrating the 50th of the class of '69  ;D

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

R Code

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Cougar XR-7 “R Code” convertible
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 06:24:23 PM »
Good luck Chris!

Wish you could bring it out to Carlisle one last time - this summer we are celebrating the 50th of the class of '69  ;D

- Phillip

You said it Phillip.  I'm really trying to attend the AFN this year, either with the '67, the Merkur, or both (no shortage of drivers around here, lol)
- Chris

R Code

• View Profile
Sat 1/19: between 6:30-7 pm
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 04:16:31 PM »
Times are now listed on the R&S site.  Looks like we go across between 6:30-7 pm on Saturday.  8)
- Chris