Author Topic: Radiator restoration  (Read 3967 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Radiator restoration
« on: November 07, 2018, 10:12:06 AM »
Can anyone recommend a place to work on a radiator of mine?  I have an NOS radiator, but it’s for an automatic and I need it welded to be used for a 4 speed. 

Thanks.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Radiator restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 11:28:50 AM »
Sapps Radiator in Garner, NC has done some for me in the past. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:53:02 AM »
Can anyone recommend a place to work on a radiator of mine?  I have an NOS radiator, but it’s for an automatic and I need it welded to be used for a 4 speed. 

Thanks.
Brian,you are typically asking about factory stock details . I don't think the results will match your expectations. Based on you initial post you may not be aware that you are not going to typically make the automatic line fittings openings disappear completely unless you change the bottom tank. That is something that you will have to supply. That is not to say that working over the bottom tank to make it cosmetically invisible from the outside after repair couldn't be done if you had no other choice but that would be a lot of extra work for a skilled person.  It would be quite a coincidence that a radiator shop would have the correct factory 4 speed Ford bottom tank to use. If are just going to seal off by brazing or solder (no regular welding on the copper material) any good radiator shop should be able to solder or braze the openings closed. Given it will not be invisible anyway you could ether plug with plug fittings made for this procedure or less noticeable a Allen fitting that could be installed flush and covered over. The Allen fitting after sealing flush could be covered over with a bit of epoxy and painted to be less visible which could be done by you instead of a radiator shop. I don't see the advantage in a lot of extra effort to solder the fitting up if they are not going to completely disappear is why I am posting. FYI the Ford service radiators routinely came with the automatic cooler fittings that were plugged so that they could be used for both applications. Just thought I would mention this in case you were not aware.   
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:55:57 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:56:29 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I wasn’t sure if that were possible.  I do have two other original radiators, not in great shape, I’ll try to use one of their  bottom tanks.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:09:00 AM by BGlover67 »
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

TedS

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:52:04 PM »
Sapps Radiator in Garner, NC has done some for me in the past.

I believe it was Sapps that had the motto "A good place to take a leak". That always made me laugh.

If you use Sapps I would recommend not letting them paint it afterwards. This was quite a while back but mine came back with an excessive coat of gloss black.

Ted

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 06:46:20 PM »
  Ah, isn't the stamped-in part number for a 4 speed radiator different from an automatic car?  How about stating the numbers.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 09:48:12 PM »
  Ah, isn't the stamped-in part number for a 4 speed radiator different from an automatic car?  How about stating the numbers.
Stamped in engineering number is on the side strap of Dearborn and Metuchen built car radiators. Given the owner we are talking about a solder on tag that can be changed to fit the configuration if necessary . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 11:54:14 PM »
H2 for manual no A/C
J2 for early Auto No A/C (IIRC)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 10:02:23 AM »
 Thanks JD. Now everyone can find this in the future.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 05:56:16 PM »

Depends on when the radiator was made. 65-early 66 production had it stamped in the top tank while later only had the maker and date in the top tank metal while the application was identified by the add on metal tag as shown above. This was a San Jose detail so later cars have different details

It appears that you might be asking about a 67 radiator though year was not mentioned in the request.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:14:37 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »
My "2 67 WMO" extra cooling radiator is marked C7ZE T2.
It's a manual transmission radiator.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

madeulook

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 09:44:46 PM »
Ditto's on the paint comment. I have never let the shops paint my radiators again after the first time. Way too much paint and not period correct.

Find an OS or NOS bottom - cures a world of hurt.
SFM5R-madeulook
1965 GT 350 Competition Tribute
1st. place pop vote Mid-Ohio