Author Topic: pwr. steering pump color  (Read 4065 times)

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
pwr. steering pump color
« on: November 07, 2018, 08:41:11 PM »
Rescue me from going insane--please-I saw 4 Shelbys today [big block] and everyone has different color reservoir and only one has front painted same color , others are all black---have checked articles on line and added to more confusion--if you can help would be great, thus once and forever correct color can be determined--thanks so lot

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: pwr. steering pump color
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 09:37:56 PM »
Rescue me from going insane--please-I saw 4 Shelbys today [big block] and everyone has different color reservoir and only one has front painted same color , others are all black---have checked articles on line and added to more confusion--if you can help would be great, thus once and forever correct color can be determined--thanks so lot
Color determined by mfg . The mfg is indicated on the back tag as ether F for Ford Thompson (teal ) or W for TRW (black). The teal can vary because apparently was a batch type paint. The fronts should be painted the same color as the body .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 10:01:48 PM »
thank you---can you recommend  what would be the most appropriate and where to get it--thanks

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 10:36:15 PM »
thank you---can you recommend  what would be the most appropriate and where to get it--thanks
You didn't say but I am guessing your question is in relation to 69 and 70 Shelby's . They 69 70 Shelby's were built built at Dearborn Plant . Ford used both MFG pumps at the plant. Other then the paint the pumps and info on the tags the pumps look the same. The 69 70 style is pretty common and can often be found as a rebuilt core at the auto parts store.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:12:10 AM »
Thank you Mr. Gaines

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
The 2 pump vendors have differences between them not just the color & tag id. The pumps have different return bottom angle tubes and the front cast iron is cast differently between the 2 vendors as one has more casting angle ribs & cast #s different & one has fomoco & ford eng. # cast in it.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »
The 2 pump vendors have differences between them not just the color & tag id. The pumps have different return bottom angle tubes and the front cast iron is cast differently between the 2 vendors as one has more casting angle ribs & cast #s different & one has fomoco & ford eng. # cast in it.
Ed , I was addressing the pump color and what a enthusiast might find as a rebuilt core at the auto parts store. Although different between MFG's, the bracket doesn't come with a pump when you purchase a rebuilt original pump (with proper return nipple) at the auto parts store. A owner typically transfers the bracket from their core to the rebuilt pump. Ether MFG pump is appropriate for a Dearborn built Shelby. Now with that said I was trying to sooth what reads to be a very frustrated OP. I was not trying to diminish the small nuisance differences like the nipple angle that you are aware of but rather wanted the OP to understand that the problem is not insurmountable. Some of the nuance differences for example are hard to perceive once installed by even a knowledgeable enthusiast especially if the car has A/C compressor in the way.  I will take some pictures of the different bracket differences and post them later to better explain what you mention about brackets so a enthusiast has the knowledge to decide for themselves what makes sense for them to do and what not. 

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 02:31:29 PM »
I wasnt talking about the 2 different  brackets .  I was talking about the 2 vendor pump differences the cast iron front of pump that the pulley shaft goes thru is noticeably different & have different id markings cast into front of pump that u can see & different casting patterns. Like most parts that are made by 2 vendors there were some differences between them.

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 02:59:06 PM »
Thanks --you guys are savers---does anybody has one for sale

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 06:00:05 PM »
i should have are u sure pulley is 7aa  u got 351 or 428 with a/c

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »
Here are the differences between the Ford Thompson and the TRW powersterring pump brackets . Some of the details are more prominent then others. Most of the details can not be seen or hard to see once installed.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 08:06:14 PM »
There are other more subtle details that can be seen however they are very subtle and unless you are use to comparing the two or easier yet side by side you would be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference . There is a slight difference in the boundary ribs and the opening were the stud is fixed.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:28:22 PM by Bob Gaines »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 08:21:47 PM »
Here is a example of the differences in the front castings . The teal front is the Ford Thompson and the black is the TRW. The most notable difference is the Ford engineering number and the FOMOCO in the rectangle. The TRW has a W recessed in the surface that is hard to see but it is at about the 8 o'clock in the black picture. There is subtle differences between the two castings as Ed previously mentioned . The ribs are slightly thicker on the Ford Thompson in comparison for example. Once mounted in the bracket and with the power steering pulley in the way only makes the details more difficult to see. The front casting examples are off of some 67/68 pumps I had handy. Ed was the one that made me aware of these differences many moons ago.   
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:32:45 PM by Bob Gaines »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 08:24:33 PM »
A couple other single pictures of the black TRW and Teal Ford Thompson front casting .

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 09:37:12 PM »
Thank you all---Ed I have 428 cobra jet and according to cobra jet engine reference manual pulley is 7 AA A and FA for earlier cars with A/C---if we would discus Sikorsky S 92 I am your man, when it comes to SHELBY I know exactly 0 and am totally dependent of good will of experts like you guys---if you have it please just sale me what you know is correct. THANK YOU                 P.S.  According to same manual pumps body is C8 AA A with tube on return pointing somewhat down--cheers  John Zajc