Author Topic: Undercarriage refresh order of operations  (Read 2815 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Undercarriage refresh order of operations
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »
One very IMHO slight possibility, not saying that this took place on your particular car since we've not seen pictures or the results of working down through layers of paint to the bare steel, but if the spray jets were not triggered or something happened during the process, a worker could have been assigned to repair/fix the mistake and coat the floor with another paint/coating that was available at another station after the floor coating application station.  An important detail is that what ever is there should match another coating (paint/sealer/primer) that was applied on the same line.  Have seen this done (other plant) on only a couple of cars.

What ever your seeing and if your restoring or investigating  IMHO it's important to buff, rub or sand through each coating level to determine the order of application and the possibilities that someone has been there before you. Documenting with pictures as you go.

If they changed the typical floor coating to something else we should see other examples and this can be narrowed down since we have the real completion dates for cars. Might be able to find other examples finished on the same day or a day either way (before or after)  yours would not be the only one.  We've used this method in other years and plants to find (example 69 Dearborn) to identify small micro patterns of different coatings within larger trends of a different one.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 06:34:54 PM »
I have already stripped the undercoating on my car and am down to the original primer and it is most certainly red oxide primer. If I did not wear down to bare metal in spots I would just leave it as is.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 07:11:41 PM »
Between your restoration of the original hubcaps, getting the under hood stuff “done right” , making sure the trans and driveline are correct, and now the undercarriage, I thinking your going to start showing in concours classes.
Car started as beautiful, the finished product will be stunning I’m sure
Keep those pictures coming
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 07:27:50 PM »
Thank you Steve!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2021, 09:28:55 PM »
Floors look very solid - Nice!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 08:22:13 AM »
Your pictures do more to disqualify your statements of red oxide then they do to support that.

What they clearly show is that there is no consistency with the painting of the underside of '68s? Show me where there is consistancy of just pure red primer. You can't. Your pictures just proved it.

I presume that you used a pure brass plate to inscribe your credentials on? If you used a plated plate, you would polished the finish off?  ;)

I will just reflect back to you what you told me. "You can't PROVE anything, because you weren't there on the assembly line when the car was built".

As far as what Phil wants to post here, that's up to him but  from his lack of participation on Forum 2.0, I think "we've" lost him. Unfortunately those hundreds of pics vanished into oblivion.

I told you to stop wearing that silly "Shelby Secret Police" uniform. The tights were way too tight and cut off what litte blood flow you had going to your brain.

You are entitled though to complimentary recognition of Wisconsin accomplishments. The Packers finally got new matching uniforms and everyone got their own numbers. Having two or three players with the same uniform numbers on the field at the same time was confusing.

I noticed that the team went out and bought real goal posts too. Gone are those 2" black gas pipes they repurposed.

Those are all good things. Keep up the good work. ::)

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 09:42:42 AM »
Theres only one thing inconsistent in this thread.

🙈

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 09:43:22 AM »
Theres only one thing inconsistent in this thread.

🙈

Good to see that you admit it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!