News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Look what I can do!

Started by Coralsnake, November 08, 2018, 05:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

8T03S1425

These advertisements take me back in time when the news papers' most interesting sections to me were:
   #3 - the movie schedules (prepping for date nights),
   #2 - the comics and puzzles, and
   #1 - the classified ads.

Yes, it was a time when one would see Shelbys, Cobras, and GT350s and GT500s for sale, on a regular basis. Frequently, the Shelbys would be mixed in with the Mustang section, but I remember that Shelbys would sometimes have their own section in the used car ads

I turned 16 in the summer of 1970, so while I could barely afford a used 1965 Mustang, that didn't prevent me from looking for new, left over, and used Shelbys. My buddies and I frequently spent free time walking the dealer lots looking at what we couldn't afford.

I'm lovin' these old ads.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

JJH

Quote from: 8T03S1425 on November 10, 2018, 11:37:22 PM
Yeah, I thought finding a specific car was a stretch. I'd be happy to see any Al Grillo Ford ad for Shelby's or a Lynn, MA news paper article on his passing.
Not sure that we'll ever know what happened to Al Grillo. I live in the next city over from Lynn, Ma. (Peabody, Ma.) and have heard bits and pieces about the dealership for years now. I was born in 1968 so I didn't live through it but just this summer I met a gentleman at a local cruise night who turned out to have been a mechanic at Grillo when he was just 18! His feeling was that Grillo went into hiding or possibly witness protection and was not bumped off. This gentleman was nice enough to part with two original Al Grillo dealer trunk emblems which he had in his tool box for the last 50 years. He also told me that Grillo's daily driver was a black "67 Mustang that the dealership dropped a 427 SOHC motor in. I hope to get together with this former mechanic again and pick at his memory some more. He did not have any photos of the dealership. Feel free to pm me if you'd like a photo of the metal dealer tags I have.
Kind Regards, John
SAAC member since 1981

SHELB66

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 11, 2018, 10:32:23 AM
The AD KING has granted your wish!

Thanks so very much, almighty AD KING!  Your time and effort are greatly appreciated!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Coralsnake

The glass Mustang? Where did that end up?

JJH

Quote from: jjh on November 11, 2018, 01:13:12 PM
Quote from: 8T03S1425 on November 10, 2018, 11:37:22 PM
Yeah, I thought finding a specific car was a stretch. I'd be happy to see any Al Grillo Ford ad for Shelby's or a Lynn, MA news paper article on his passing.
Not sure that we'll ever know what happened to Al Grillo. I live in the next city over from Lynn, Ma. (Peabody, Ma.) and have heard bits and pieces about the dealership for years now. I was born in 1968 so I didn't live through it but just this summer I met a gentleman at a local cruise night who turned out to have been a mechanic at Grillo when he was just 18! His feeling was that Grillo went into hiding or possibly witness protection and was not bumped off. This gentleman was nice enough to part with two original Al Grillo dealer trunk emblems which he had in his tool box for the last 50 years. He also told me that Grillo's daily driver was a black "67 Mustang that the dealership dropped a 427 SOHC motor in. I hope to get together with this former mechanic again and pick at his memory some more. He did not have any photos of the dealership. Feel free to pm me if you'd like a photo of the metal dealer tags I have.
Kind Regards, John
Steve, I got your pm but your e-mail address isn't working for me. If you're ok with pm me your phone number I can send you a photo via my cell phone.
SAAC member since 1981

8T03S1425

I double checked my PM and can confirm that scwolaniuk at gmail dot com were correctly typed in my PM.

Regardless how I receive the information, I certainly look forward to receiving it.

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

roddster

Ad King:  how about Jack Loftus Ford in Hinsdale IL.

Anyone else notice that the Glass Mustang had a six popper in it?

KR500

Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

KR Convertible

Wow!  I guess the dealership section on Coaralsnake is going to get an update soon.

Anything from Frank Cate?  Elk Grove, CA.  Near Sacramento.

68blk500c

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 10, 2018, 11:11:26 AM
Yes, most fun I have had for $20 in a long time

Maybe the most fun the rest of us have had in long time, too.  Thank you!!!
I will be happy to reimburse your $20.

KR Convertible

I found this one but it's a bit early.

68blk500c

The Galpin ad in reply #37 states an early August date, which means mine was in inventory at that time; cool!

Coralsnake

The AD KING has granted another wish!

Coralsnake

I am digging deeper into the vault and shall return with other requests!