News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Are all of the R-models restored? Any photos in progress form?

Started by silverton_ford, January 28, 2018, 01:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

With the two R-models that recently went through the auctions, I was talking with a friend today about a few R-models that we know of and have seen in the past 5-10 years. We were looking at the registry (pages 200-232) and noticed a lot of great pictures of R-models in various stages. The photos are either in racing form, customized form or in tired old race car form. 

Within the past few years there have been a variety of R-models go through different auction houses.  They are mostly all very well restored and virtually perfect.  Does anyone have any photos they would like to share of R-models in recent form or older condition other than the ones that have gone through auction?  We can all google pictures of the auctioned cars (although I have done plenty of that over the years...and still enjoy it).  Pages 208-211 of the registry have some great examples of what I am talking about, but at the same time does anyone have them in color and larger format?

I'm just a fan enjoying the details and overanalyzing these great cars.

sfm5s081

What a great post! I'd love to know if there are any original/non restored R models. These cars had anything but an easy life. I'm sure there has got to be a few in period livery

6s1640

Hi Silverton Ford,

I am pretty sure Fred Hilbert's 5R094 is not restored.  He is a long time owner and has raced the car competitively back in the day.  Last time I saw him run the car was at Mid American 2008, now ten years ago.  I expect he is only showing the car for exhibition now and no longer running hard.

I remember seeing Fred running at Great Bend, circa 1985, with the passenger side rear fender bashed in.  He was not afraid to run the car.

Cory

Bigfoot

Quote from: sfm5s081 on March 05, 2018, 01:25:34 AM
What a great post! I'd love to know if there are any original/non restored R models. These cars had anything but an easy life. I'm sure there has got to be a few in period livery

Plenty in period livery but restored.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelbydoug

Parde's car is pretty much the way it has always been.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6s1802

Richstang

Quote from: 6s1640 on March 05, 2018, 02:06:18 AM
Hi Silverton Ford,

I am pretty sure Fred Hilbert's 5R094 is not restored.  He is a long time owner and has raced the car competitively back in the day.  Last time I saw him run the car was at Mid American 2008, now ten years ago.  I expect he is only showing the car for exhibition now and no longer running hard.

I remember seeing Fred running at Great Bend, circa 1985, with the passenger side rear fender bashed in.  He was not afraid to run the car.

Cory
Cory,
When you say not restored what do you mean? overall structure, body, mechanically? We can see 5r094 has been repainted from it's factory white / blue stripes. The front "R" valance was damaged on a few occasions as show in period photos. Most noticeably at Sebring in 66 it was cracked / split in the center.
There are other sign of race incidents (bumps and scrapes) too. 

Silverton,
These cars were tough, raced hard, and damaged one way or another. I have read car 5r534 is one of the more original comp cars, but even that one was restored. There's a lot of color photos from back in their race days. Are there any specific cars you are looking for?
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

6s1640

Quote from: Richstang on March 05, 2018, 01:03:12 PM
Hi Silverton Ford,

Cory
Cory,
When you say not restored what do you mean? overall structure, body, mechanically? We can see 5r094 has been repainted from it's factory white / blue stripes. The front "R" valance was damaged on a few occasions as show in period photos. Most noticeably at Sebring in 66 it was cracked / split in the center.

Hi Richstang,  I mean in the pure sense, like 5R002.  The car is taken back to its assembly line configurations or other period specific time.   The car has been repainted, repaired and altered to meet rules at the time the car was competitively ran.  It has not seen the a painstakingly restoration like those performed by John Brown at Thoroughbred Restorations.  Does that make more sense?  I know "restoration" can mean different things to different people.

Cory

Bob Gaines

Hi Silverton Ford,

Cory
Luckily Fred has been pretty consistent at bringing the car to the Mid America Shelby meet on show day the last number of years. Sometimes he has at Hallet road course but I can't say how hard he may run it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

silverton_ford

Silverton,
These cars were tough, raced hard, and damaged one way or another. I have read car 5r534 is one of the more original comp cars, but even that one was restored. There's a lot of color photos from back in their race days. Are there any specific cars you are looking for?

Richstang - - Not anyone in particular.  I guess as many and or all.  I just like reading about and studying these cars.  Nothing scientific going on here, although I'm very open to the differences between them as well.  The history of these cars throughout the last 50+ years for each car is very fascinating.

Cory, Thank you for posting the photo of 5R094.  That is great!

-  Thank you, Brian

Richstang

Quote from: 6s1640 on March 05, 2018, 02:33:49 PM
Hi Silverton Ford,

Cory
Cory,

Hi Richstang,  I mean in the pure sense, like 5R002.  The car is taken back to its assembly line configurations or other period specific time.   The car has been repainted, repaired and altered to meet rules at the time the car was competitively ran.  It has not seen the a painstakingly restoration like those performed by John Brown at Thoroughbred Restorations.  Does that make more sense?  I know "restoration" can mean different things to different people.

Cory

Yes, that helps...not stripped down of every nut and bolt, just maintained for use. The repaint had me wondering.
Thanks Cory.

Richstang

Quote from: silverton_ford on March 05, 2018, 02:50:59 PM

Silverton,

Richstang - - Not anyone in particular.  I guess as many and or all.  I just like reading about and studying these cars.  Nothing scientific going on here, although I'm very open to the differences between them as well.  The history of these cars throughout the last 50+ years for each car is very fascinating.

Cory, Thank you for posting the photo of 5R094.  That is great!

-  Thank you, Brian

My head is going to explode. That's too many options...although limiting them to color photos will narrow it down a bit. I think 5r001 and especially 5r002 can stand alone with separate threads.

Here's a few random pics of early cars that I don't believe are copyrighted.

GT350Lad

Love this thread. That last photo above demonstrates the hard but fun lives these cars live. Would love to vintage race one some day...

6S373
6S1276

6s1640

Quote from: GT350Lad on March 05, 2018, 04:57:51 PM
Love this thread. That last photo above demonstrates the hard but fun lives these cars live. Would love to vintage race one some day...

You think that was hard.  Check out this R-model.  Maybe a little metal work and some fresh paint this car could be fixed.   ;)

Cory

silverton_ford

Cory,
That is 5R099.  Dan Gerber's car.  The crash scene is at the final race of 1966.  Dan broke both legs in that crash.

Do you know where the picture is taken in front of the house?  I think the registry says some of the parts were used on another car when it was parted out.

I have posted a few other pictures of 5R099 that I have found on the internet.  Not sure who took them.

Brian