Author Topic: Are all of the R-models restored? Any photos in progress form?  (Read 22634 times)

gt350shelb

• View Profile
Re: Are all of the R-models restored? Any photos in progress form?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 08:41:19 AM »
BIW do exist but are  hard  to track with no vin .  tasca built  their 69 t/a car from a biw  no vin!
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shlby66

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »

The Donahue car, did receive a BIW, being rebuilt, at AER Engineering, in Madison, New Jersey.

The BIW, arrived on Dollies ( like railroad train wheels ) which remained, for many years, lying
  on the ground, at the rear, of AER's building.

AER"s owner, stated, the original body shell, was cut up into pieces and thrown in the dumpster.         

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2018, 09:49:05 AM »
I think there are more then a few "R's" that are only original in the VIN tag?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2018, 12:24:38 PM »
I believe that the body-in-white was rare, but  a real thing. I know of a 1969 BIW that was built into a 1969 Shelby. It was assigned a state serial number.

In my previous career as a Ford parts manager, we often needed complete body assemblies to repair wrecks. These were ordered as a part thru FoMoCo Parts & Service Div, like pickup cabs & boxes. However they were not unitized serialized bodies like Mustangs so the VIN was not affected. We also sold complete "cab in white" for Ford Louisville semi trucks for a trucking company that hauled new Fords from the assembly plants in Detroit. Ther refurbished the used & rusted trucks with the BIW cabs.

I suspect the Mustang BIW were "managed" orders thru a FoMoCo district manager or direct thru a program ( special vehicle racing ) manager.

regards,
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 11:15:50 AM »
Pictures of 5R535 found online.  I think these were taken a few years ago.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »
Pictures of 5R535 found online.  I think these were taken a few years ago.

Interesting steering wheel choice.
Nothing beats a classic!

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2018, 02:30:05 PM »
A few photos of 5R100 found online, date unknown.

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2018, 02:34:09 PM »
5R096 pictures found online, date unknown

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2018, 02:34:46 PM »
5R107 found online, date unknown.

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2018, 02:39:28 PM »
5R533 found online, date unknown

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2019, 01:32:39 PM »
The best set of photos I have found documenting an R code are the restoration photos on the Legendary Motorcars web site. Both cars have won concours honors for the originality of the restoration and both cars are owned by the family that originally sponsored the cars so historic documentation for the restorations should have been readily available. R100 and R105. Beautiful cars and a treasure trove for those who are restoring an original or, like me, interested in building a tribute car.

https://www.legendarymotorcar.com/inventory/1965-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-r-816.aspx
https://www.legendarymotorcar.com/inventory/1965-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-r-796.aspx
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2019, 02:43:07 PM »
The best set of photos I have found documenting an R code are the restoration photos on the Legendary Motorcars web site. Both cars have won concours honors for the originality of the restoration and both cars are owned by the family that originally sponsored the cars so historic documentation for the restorations should have been readily available. R100 and R105. Beautiful cars and a treasure trove for those who are restoring an original or, like me, interested in building a tribute car.

https://www.legendarymotorcar.com/inventory/1965-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-r-816.aspx
https://www.legendarymotorcar.com/inventory/1965-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-r-796.aspx
I looked at the #100 car in 2011 but was not the judge for that category. I saw numerous issues back then as I gave the car a cursory glance. I was surprised when those that were given the task of judging the car came to the conclusion they did. I am not the only one. I only mention this given the LMC write up in the link posted. There are many things that are correct but also many that were/are wrong. The pictures in the LMC slideshow illustrate a few of the incorrect issues that rub salt into the wound so to speak. I don't want to rehash old news because it received a score and that score is now in the past but for the present and in the future it should be understood that although extremely nice it is not a perfect restoration example to go by now or in the future as is implied by the LMC write up . It is undeniably a extremely nice restoration just not perfect.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Scode67FB

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2019, 03:14:40 AM »
That last pic in the LMC link looks like the car has an aluminum driveshaft. Did they have those back then?

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2019, 04:08:00 AM »
5R096 pictures found online, date unknown

Pics were taken at Burgol Racings garage/Switzerland and at the Geneva Classics show years a decade ago (last by myself). 5R096 has been sold back to the US meanwhile.

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2019, 03:05:18 PM »
I think there are more then a few "R's" that are only original in the VIN tag?
\
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I would tend ( in Part ) to agree with you Doug.
Maybe not >> only original by Vin>> but pretty dam close
respectfully submitted,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7