Author Topic: SAAC-44 - July 11-13, 2019, Pittsburgh International Race Complex  (Read 25124 times)

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
Re: SAAC-44 - July 11-13, 2019, Pittsburgh International Race Complex
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2019, 02:49:39 AM »
Got into the Hampton, excited and looking forward to meeting everyone and having a beer or 2
Cheers 🍻
6S373
6S1276

gt350man

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2019, 01:22:16 PM »
Steve, it would be great to see you again at Pitt Race and perhaps Walnut Street.  I am on the Pgh Vintage Grand Prix Marque of the Year committee, but will not have ultimate decisions as to how many Shelbys and which will get invited to Walnut.  That decision likely will not come until June if I had to guess since we are trying to pull some historically significant cars for the event also.

I would highly encourage anyone coming to the convention to consider and look into staying the following week or coming back for the following weekend.  It promises to be a great event.  Here is a link to the Marque of the Year page of the website  https://www.pvgp.org/marque/.  If folks can't stay another week, which I understand is a lot, you would really appreciate the Vintage Races on Saturday and Sunday at PittRace the weekend of SAAC, so staying through Sunday is a great idea.  I've already spoken to the regional director of Team Shelby about some events/driving tours they are planning and I understand SAAC members will be able to attend as well.  Stay tuned, but glad everyone is getting booked.
1965 GT350 #431
1965 ERA Cobra with original 427 Side Oiler (625 HP)
1968 GT350 #760
2006 GT-H #20
1964 Sunbeam Tiger #336
1964 1/2 Mustang convertible -12th day of production
1989 Saleen SSC #94

z-man

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2019, 03:05:35 PM »
I've already spoken to the regional director of Team Shelby about some events/driving tours they are planning and I understand SAAC members will be able to attend as well. 

For those attendees who don't track their cars, and are looking for something new and different to do while at the convention, Team Shelby will be hosting a road tour on Thursday and a Poker Run on Friday.  Team Shelby welcomes and encourages all SAAC members to join in the fun!  The road tour will takes us to attractions in parts of Ohio, as well as the surrounding Pittsburgh area, including a lunch stop along the way (possibly at a Pennsylvania Dutch kitchen).  Friday's Poker Run will have us heading north through some beautiful scenery and maybe a quick stop or two, before turning around and heading back to the host hotel for the SAAC dinner.  Speaking of dinner, Team Shelby also invites all attendees to join them on Thursday night for an off-site dinner in a venue that you will find unique.  The evening program will include special guest speakers, charity auction, and some other activities that are still 'classified' at this point, but when the details start to get released, you will be quite surprised at what we have in store.

When registration opens, all Team Shelby hosted activities will be offered as ala carte choices to add to your weekend package.  We are gonna have some damn fun!!!         

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »
This sounds great!!!  This will be my very first convention and I am looking forward to it.  But I have a question.  What is the difference between a road tour and a poker run?

z-man

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »
This sounds great!!!  This will be my very first convention and I am looking forward to it.  But I have a question.  What is the difference between a road tour and a poker run?

By my definition....

A road tour is a non-competitive drive to different venues where we will stop and enjoy what that attraction has to offer.  If we were “touring” in the Philadelphia area, the Simeone Museum would be a good example of where we might stop (if you aren’t familiar with the Simeone Museum, do yourself a favor and Google it).  The route we take to get from place to place is usually based on getting where we are going quickly, as opposed to the most picturesque route.

A poker run is competitive!  The route is based to get you off the highway and onto the roads less traveled.  Winding roads, and scenic overlooks take precidance over getting there quickly.  Along the way there are quick stops (sometimes you don’t even get out if your car), where you will pick a playing card from a deck.  Five stops gives you five cards to make a hand of poker.  Best hand wins a prize!

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2019, 04:26:01 PM »
Steve, it would be great to see you again at Pitt Race and perhaps Walnut Street.  I am on the Pgh Vintage Grand Prix Marque of the Year committee, but will not have ultimate decisions as to how many Shelbys and which will get invited to Walnut.  That decision likely will not come until June if I had to guess since we are trying to pull some historically significant cars for the event also.

I would highly encourage anyone coming to the convention to consider and look into staying the following week or coming back for the following weekend.  It promises to be a great event.  Here is a link to the Marque of the Year page of the website  https://www.pvgp.org/marque/.  If folks can't stay another week, which I understand is a lot, you would really appreciate the Vintage Races on Saturday and Sunday at PittRace the weekend of SAAC, so staying through Sunday is a great idea.  I've already spoken to the regional director of Team Shelby about some events/driving tours they are planning and I understand SAAC members will be able to attend as well.  Stay tuned, but glad everyone is getting booked.

We plan on either staying al week or come back on Saturday/Sunday for the PVGP race
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2019, 09:02:56 AM »

For those attendees who don't track their cars, and are looking for something new and different to do while at the convention, Team Shelby will be hosting a road tour on Thursday and a Poker Run on Friday.  Team Shelby welcomes and encourages all SAAC members to join in the fun!  The road tour will takes us to attractions in parts of Ohio, as well as the surrounding Pittsburgh area, including a lunch stop along the way (possibly at a Pennsylvania Dutch kitchen).  Friday's Poker Run will have us heading north through some beautiful scenery and maybe a quick stop or two, before turning around and heading back to the host hotel for the SAAC dinner.  Speaking of dinner, Team Shelby also invites all attendees to join them on Thursday night for an off-site dinner in a venue that you will find unique.  The evening program will include special guest speakers, charity auction, and some other activities that are still 'classified' at this point, but when the details start to get released, you will be quite surprised at what we have in store.

When registration opens, all Team Shelby hosted activities will be offered as ala carte choices to add to your weekend package.  We are gonna have some damn fun!!!         

Those events sound like fun.  I'd like to do the tour in my 69 GT350 convertible. 

hertzdonut

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2019, 01:15:25 PM »
I've been on their tour at Shelbyfest in Missouri. I bet this one will be just as good!

Terry

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2019, 05:38:19 PM »
Can I ask what does it take to track your car at the convention?  Do you need special equipment either on the car or on your person?  Do you have to have special insurance on your car?  Again my first convention and I have a lot to learn.

z-man

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2019, 06:40:10 PM »

[/quote]

Those events sound like fun.  I'd like to do the tour in my 69 GT350 convertible.
[/quote]

I hope you join us!  Would love to see your car on the road tour AND the poker run.  Keep an eye out for more details as we get closer to the event.

z-man

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2019, 06:43:05 PM »
I've been on their tour at Shelbyfest in Missouri. I bet this one will be just as good!

Terry

Thanks Terry!  Anyone who joins in the tour or the poker run won’t be disappointed.

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2019, 08:32:16 AM »
Can I ask what does it take to track your car at the convention?  Do you need special equipment either on the car or on your person?  Do you have to have special insurance on your car?  Again my first convention and I have a lot to learn.

Having never done a "track Day" event with SAAC I'm not the one to ask, but I did find this from a prior event. If anyone can elaborate further it would be great.

http://www.saac.com/saac-41/Open-Track-Info-SAAC-41.pdf

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2019, 08:42:41 AM »
^^^ that document is a good foundation, the helmet date may need to be revised.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2019, 12:25:35 PM »
I work Tech at the conventions, and instruct at many HPDE schools in the US.

The document is a good basis, and an updated form will be distributed. Check with similar groups, such as NASA, HOD, and others and use thier tech and rules as a basis and comparison.

Helmets are 2010 and newer only. Long pants, closed shoes, , classroom is a must, and FOLLOW THE RULES!!!

SAAC has only been to this track once, and back then only half of what it is now, so much is brand new.

Dan

Red67co

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2019, 07:32:11 PM »
Have my hotel been looking for Registration info has there been anything posted yet