News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Sand Cast GT500 Air Cleaner Base

Started by Fast Fords, January 28, 2018, 12:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 10, 2018, 05:52:56 PM
The way to make it work is to use an elbow that will fit and can be peened over like the original.

Dude! The regular mustang elbow doesn't work. Been there. Done that.  ;D

Been there too but guess we have had different experiences and outcomes. 

No problem with that. There are often many different routes to the same destination :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 10, 2018, 03:41:51 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 10, 2018, 12:56:24 PM
Remember that nipple was made to be just long enough for the sheet metal. The aluminum is at least 1/4" thick at it's thinnest and if I remember correctly, is more then 3/8" thick at that point because of the cast in mounting boss.

Since it will not be seen from inside the air cleaner sure you can come up with a creative way to make it work (using one from a donor Mustang air cleaner)
+1 . Where there is a will there is a way. At the very least I known of people that have succeeded. The ones I have known about  added a section to the elbow (past the expanded base of elbow) enough to go through the base and crimp over on the other side. I am not sure what process was used to solder ,weld,or brazed the section because It was already doctored up. I just saw the finished product during a impromptu to show and tell at a car show. The one I saw wasn't too pretty on the filter side of the base but that is not seen when installed. I supposed you can mandrel bend a new elbow like you said (regular tube bender will look different) . Best of luck with that approach. I may be wrong but I think that process will be even harder given the equipment needed etc.  At least you have input so you can make a informed decision on how to proceed next  .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Yes, thank you to all who responded.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!