Author Topic: Sealer Under Fender  (Read 2174 times)

Shawn

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Sealer Under Fender
« on: November 12, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »
What color sealer is used under the fenders grey or black?  Is it supposed to squish out onto fender aprons or not?

Thanks

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sealer Under Fender
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 03:05:03 PM »
When I took 1134 apart in the mid-1990's, the material was black and had squished out in some places.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 03:36:37 PM »
Black or very very dark gray. Over time it will (after 50 years) will lighten in color (often misleading owners/builders) and can even get to a a dirty white if exposed to the sun. I may contain asbestos (like the sound deadener) which would explain the change with exposure to the sub and heat. Asbestos was added to allot of things during the 60's

Some of the current products are too tacky and don't have the body/weight as the original so try and search out the better stuff

Same product as used to seal the gas tank to body, fill the hole (one each side) at the end of the quarter panels, seal the rear bumper mounts to the taillight panel and some other locations
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 06:33:55 PM »
"so try and search out the better stuff "  , and the better stuff would be …. ???  ;)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 07:14:15 PM »
"so try and search out the better stuff "  , and the better stuff would be …. ???  ;)

I've used 3m Strip Chalking in the past - three-four strips worked together to form a single strand then installed provides a flattened strip approx 1/2"-5/8" wide but some are reporting that their current product is more like a butyl based products

We have discussions elsewhere last year that the some of the newer products (including 3M) remains tacky allot longer than the traditional/older 3M strip chalking  = apparently it has been reformulated :(  Not sure if aging the product will help before use or finding an older batch that is not as "fresh"

Some have found the black strip chalking sold by Eastwood or the Norton brand is a better match to the original product than the current 3M
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 11:07:12 PM »
 I used the 3M butyl tape, about 3/16 of an inch wide strips on my last mustang build.  Perfect under the fenders around the rear bumper brackets and under the gas tank. Just enough “squish” to look like the original.
Does anyone know what the nasty goo under the paper door vapor seals was? It’s the stuff that would run out of the door panels on to the inner door over time, at least on the 65-66 cars.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!