Author Topic: 1967/68 Mustang engine bay, undercarriage etc. Paint that was used in factorys?  (Read 13053 times)

corbins

• View Profile
I sprayed my car with original acrylic enamel and no one even knew. They all assumed it was a base coat, clear coat modern paint.

Pete , that finish came out as close to the factory finished as far as gloss and texture is concerned as any car could be. Considering a real person with a spray gun in his hand applied it vs a factory spray machine, it was true blue for sure !

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
I was referring to a 69 hood blackout treatment. Would this SEM product be appropriate to the blackout ?

IMHO having shot both. No

Pete , that finish came out as close to the factory finished as far as gloss and texture is concerned as any car could be. Considering a real person with a spray gun in his hand applied it vs a factory spray machine, it was true blue for sure !

These cars were sprayed by hand also pretty much like they would have been at any body shop, with a high end booth of the time. Difference was that the paint was supplied through a series of hoses and large container of paint rather than in the gun (gravity feed). 

Now comparing todays spray guns and methods are often very different from the 60's and often this can create a challenge. Great to hear you achieved an original like finish
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Thanks, thanks, thanks I learned a bit arround the painting process at ford, but at the end it will never 100% clear how the mixture of chemicals for the paint and primer was. But to make sure

Painting Process @ Ford
1. Primer was an Epoxy Enamel Primer in red
2. Paint on the Car was Acrylic Enamel
3. Blackout for engine bay was Acrylic Enamel
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
I dont think there was any epoxy in the 1960s, but you have the rest correct

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
I dont think there was any epoxy in the 1960s, but you have the rest correct

Have to show you the info from Ford :)   At least that is what they were calling it.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Interesting topic. I found this;

Epoxy has been around for over 100 years. In the early 1900’s Russian chemists were the first to begin synthesizing epoxy compounds. The first commercial attempts to synthesize epoxy in the United States were made starting in 1927.

Initially epoxy was used in the marine and industrial industry. Often, epoxy coatings were (and still are) used as a primer to enhance the adhesion of paints that are applied as a final coating to hulls and decks. Epoxies are also used to protect and make repairs to the internal surface of hulls.

During the 1950’s the use of epoxy expanded to include woodwork, building construction, and aerospace. Often in building construction and woodwork epoxy is used as a structural adhesive. Epoxies can be made flexible or rigid, transparent or opaque, or fast or slow setting. Compared to other adhesives, epoxies are more heat and chemical resistant. In aerospace applications epoxy is used as a structural matrix material that is then reinforced by fiber or as structural glue.

Today, epoxy has emerged as a residential material. Homeowners love epoxy flooring because it is long-lasting, easy to clean, and practically scratch-proof. 100% Solids epoxies have emerged as the best available epoxy flooring material available on the market” these are the most durable and long-lasting available.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Thanks for the clarification, I am sure that helps the OP.

I think the point was made earlier, is it really necessary to debate the chemical composition of the paint systems? If so, this might be helpful....

https://www.paint.org/article/brief-history-automotive-coatings-technology/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 06:56:22 AM by Coralsnake »

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Now I think we got it all together so this thread will help people in the future.

Painting Process @ Ford

this thread went out very good I would say.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

Just being picky, but it wasn't always the same shade of red-oxide, sometimes it wasn't even red-oxide...  the various sheet metal pieces could also be different color primers.

Also, there was usually a gray sealer primer used over the base primer on the outer facing panels of the body.  Most likely to fill small blems and to give the same base for all the exterior paint to cover (in an attempt at consistency).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 09:18:47 AM by CharlesTurner »
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
There is little consistency in the color of the primers in general. At least with a '67 you have a chance to being close with red oxide but then again it can be almost brown or almost Rustoleum "red"?

Try a '68 where it looks like they sprayed oxidized road debris on the rear and had a mix of red and white leaving pink around the bell housing hump?

Personally when I see this beautiful red oxide primer on a car a "warning light" goes off and screams "restored".

I think that the view of paint in general is going to continue to "evolve" over the coming years and what is acceptable today, won't be then.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
So you would say the judging rules will be more picky in the next years that cars with a wrong looking finish etc. will loose points?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
So you would say the judging rules will be more picky in the next years that cars with a wrong looking finish etc. will loose points?

Ask the judges.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
The judging rules are always evolving as new information surfaces and consensus changes . History shows things not getting more lax in various class's. The class that has the most entries which is concours class/DIV II which allows reproductions has been blessed with the aftermarket coming out with more authentic reproductions of original parts. Not all reproduction parts are the same there are still the inferior parts out there. These better alternatives along with better information allows expectations of higher authenticity to be obtainable in that class more so then in the past. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Now I think we got it all together so this thread will help people in the future.

Painting Process @ Ford

this thread went out very good I would say.

Well this looks like it could use some fine turning :)

Was only referring to earlier of the coating used in 65-67 at San Jose on the floor section and likely 68 at NJ and on those cars coated at Dearborn with the red oxide version not the batch paint used during different production periods at Dearborn

The upper part of the car would have been a different product

There were two coats of different products applied to the exterior of the car. One a primer and one a primer surfacer. All of this is mentioned in the articles I shared in other threads

The chassis black was used on the wheel wells also (including radiator support) on 65-68 Shelbys

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
As far as "red oxide" I believe most of us use the name to describe a wide range of tone and tint. Rarely if at ever IMHO does it match exactly what some of might see straight out of a can that we see at the hardware store and for most cases we've found that there were two variations applied to to each car on at least the San Jose built cars.

One of the challenges we face in this discussion is the OP originally asked about two different years of production then mixed in "Mustang" rather than "Shelby" so we're either discussing here 6 different plants and possible cars or 2 of the same.  Doing this is going to make the details difficult to impossible and the outcome likely confusing.  This is the reason I produce my articles related to the subject by a single year and plant