Author Topic: 1967/68 Mustang engine bay, undercarriage etc. Paint that was used in factorys?  (Read 13055 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
.......... What paint are you guys using for your restorations to get it concours?

Last couple of jobs I've used Hot Rod black.  It's a little softer than some other choices. Single stage with a hardener but touches up very well if need be

Pretty restrictive here locally for what we can legally buy and apply
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I think this paint thing will drive me crazy so was it now acrylic enamel or alkyd enamel? Becuase there are both answers here in the thread and we know there is a difference between acryl and alkyd.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

mustmore

• View Profile
Jeff, in reply #15 you state Hot Rod black.  Which manufacturer are you referring to?
Thanks

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

corbins

• View Profile
Jeff, would this (SEM) be appropriate for the hood blackout ?

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
was the original undercarriage and engine bay paint now acrylic enamel or alkyd enamel
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
was the original undercarriage and engine bay paint now acrylic enamel or alkyd enamel

Undercarriage paint/primer was an epoxy primer sealer/paint according to Ford documents.reference.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com

Are you referring to the base black used on hoods that were painted body color on the top side and edges?  If so I can see using it for that purpose though I would not use it for both engine compartment and bottom of the hood on the same car out of the can

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

Undercarriage paint/primer was an epoxy primer sealer/paint according to Ford documents.reference.

So the undercarriage paint was different to the engine bay paint? What did they used for the engine bay? When they had the bare body what were the steps they did to paint it? And which type of colour did they used? Thanks Kent

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
See reply #1

I think its pretty straight forward. While every plant was not the same, the paint order was the same.

Primer, body color, blackout

If you are not getting the answers you need on the forum, try connecting with someone in your area that has done it before.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 07:39:40 AM by Coralsnake »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Undercarrige paint is primer

Body color was single stage (one component)  enamel

You are asking about the chemical composition of the original paint. I dont think it matters what you use. Most concours cars do not use original paint systems, because of enviromental laws or the fact many of these paints are no longer manufactured. I would be surprised if you can buy single stage, acrylic enamel in Germany. I am pretty sure the original paint has lead in it and it is no longer available.

I think you are worrying too much about the exact type of paint. Pick a paint that you can have sprayed that looks good to you. No one is going to do a chemical analysis of your paint job.

This is like tryingto buy a light bulb. If you go the store and ask for a light bulb for your lamp, they are going to hand you one of theose squiggly things. It will still work.

I sprayed my car with original acrylic enamel and no one even knew. They all assumed it was a base coat, clear coat modern paint.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 07:39:04 AM by Coralsnake »

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Even using original materials, replicating the assembly process of baking/curing the paint will not necessarily yield an exact replication.  A good catalyzed paint system that you're (or your body/paint shop) familiar with is best and then mix accordingly to replicate finishes.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Agreed, its kind of like asking what oil was in the car originally.

You can use the same oil, but there are a lot of other choices and one could arugue, better choices. Things have changed and its about working with what is available.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Agreed it's about the final results and that is the fun/challenge for restorers. How ever you achieve the end goal (looking like an original finish) it up to you and if involved your painter.

Be careful if you choose a straight primer for a finished surface sine these are often porous (on purpose) and can rust through. Primer sealers as they were referred to as seal the surface
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 03:12:05 PM by J_Speegle »

corbins

• View Profile

Are you referring to the base black used on hoods that were painted body color on the top side and edges?  If so I can see using it for that purpose though I would not use it for both engine compartment and bottom of the hood on the same car out of the can

http://www.tcpglobal.com/SEM-HR010_5.html?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(roi)+product+listing+ads+-+tcp&utm_content=all+products&utm_term=automotive+paint&msclkid=8ef00444ca521c5431de5fbc4df0aa25

I was referring to a 69 hood blackout treatment. Would this SEM product be appropriate to the blackout ?
Thanks !