Author Topic: AutoWeek features Classic Ad - for '67 Shelby  (Read 2518 times)

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: AutoWeek features Classic Ad - for '67 Shelby
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 01:33:15 PM »
Nice find;

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »
Love that illustration -

Note the LeMans stripes though.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »
Noted
Thought that was way weird....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 10:34:56 PM »
Interesting that there were zero factory stripes applied after that ad was printed?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 06:02:10 AM »
More than one original Shelby/Ford advertisement depicted a '67 with LeMans stripes.

Would be interested to know why? When I work with a client nothing gets printed until everything is proofed, approved and signed off on.

So it begs the question; was the artist allowed to take liberties just because they thought the cars looked cool that way? Were they told by the art director to put the stripes on? And if so, why?

As we've discussed before, most of the print collateral is created before actual production begins.

- Phillip

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:03:56 AM by propayne »

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 10:26:23 AM »
That is a look that is etched in societies memory banks. People loved that look in 65-66 and the artist and art director probably loved that look as well. Its hard to let go of a winning combination, 67 was a pivotal year for performance cars and the racing crowd still loved its stripes and we see this everywhere in old publications and art renderings such as this. Whether they came like that or not we can enjoy them with our beloved stripes or not- They look fantastic either way! :)

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
   Note that both the 67 GT350's are early "red light in the scoop" cars.  Plus, these ads can be found in Sports Car Graphic, Road andTrack, and, ah, Playboy magazines of the era.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 11:07:46 AM by roddster »

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 11:09:09 AM »
And also the combinations of "dark stripes on a light car and light stripes on a dark car" are depicted.

Don't think the illustrator would have come up with that by him/her self. Willing to bet that was in the specs given to the artist for the job.

- Phillip

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 12:03:15 PM »
That is a look that is etched in societies memory banks. People loved that look in 65-66 and the artist and art director probably loved that look as well. Its hard to let go of a winning combination, 67 was a pivotal year for performance cars and the racing crowd still loved its stripes and we see this everywhere in old publications and art renderings such as this. Whether they came like that or not we can enjoy them with our beloved stripes or not- They look fantastic either way! :)

When I look at the amount of factory installed Lemans stripes on any year, the number is not impressive. Judging by those numbers I personally can't show where "the people loved them"?  ;)

Those are George Bartell illustrations and although I acknowledge that an artist doesn't need "license", I'm wondering where he saw '67s with Lemans stripes because frankly I can't think of one even as an engineering car.

Here, the way the roads are built, a "highway trooper" could perch themselves on an overpass. A car with Lemans stripes was going to inherit a bunch of speeding tickets even before it even got out of the driveway.

The only limitation to how far down the road you can see those cars coming is in the daily visability factor.

Trust me. Once you get "zoomed" by a "patrol plane" because he wanted to see what the car was, you want to go home and get a couple of gallons of paint stripper pronto.

Before I got to 25, a couple of speeding tickets would in effect have taken me off of the road.

The Dukes of Hazards "General Lee" is as practical. It's just saying, "sure, give me a ticket". I want to be stealth, not advertise. especially when I was 18. If I could have done it, I would have carried around my M15 with me. Every time some smart ass would try to grab me by the ear and tell me the "army is gonna' straighten you out boy!" I would have stuck it up his nose or other available body orifice and say, "they all ready have. Wanna' hear this go off?"

Lemans stripes are just confrontational. I don't need that any more. I'm into peace, love and understanding now. Hey? What ever happened to free love? Why do I have to pay now?

You know the uglier you get, the more you have to pay? Jee-se?  :o
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 12:18:03 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 02:19:49 PM »
A photo from Road America (possibly at the June sprints 6/7-18/67 or "Badger 200" 7/29/67) shows a white '67 with blue lemans stripes and wheel covers.
The stripes may have been factory installed or dealer installed.

4 white '67s were delivered to Northwestern Ford; #0225 shipped 1/6/67, #1681 shipped 5/2/67, #3194 & 3195 shipped 10/11/67.
Only #1681 is noted in the registry having the wheel covers. Its shipping date lines up close to the two major race events noted above.

The illustrated Shelby ad shows up in a few Dec '66 magazines. It would seem the ad was created sometime in September / October '66.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »
Well, two things I would point out,

1) if they are factory, they will be invoiced

2) the gen 1 cars had a specific pattern starting at 9-1/2", expanding to 10-1/2" on a factory done car. The '67 if factory should have the same consideration. The stripes were never a consistent 10" all the way along the car.

So many of the '67s now are a consistent 10" and shout "counterfeit" to me.

Show me the factory '67 Bartell copied the illustration from.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 09:40:16 PM »
Right or wrong factory or not ,there are more 67s with the LeMans stripes then without. That's where the peoples loves of stripes comes from.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 07:34:44 AM »
Give the people what they want!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!