News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Restoration of 66 Hertz GT350H

Started by svtakach62, November 16, 2018, 07:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svtakach62

I am in the process of restoring a black and gold 66 Hertz GT350H and have a question.  In the rear wheel wells is their undercoating or was that an option or something a previous owner sprayed in?  It appears to be sprayed from the factory for sound deadening  or rust but I'm not sure.  The front fenders did not have the undercoating.  Anybody that owns one and can help the answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  Stephen

svtakach62

Just to add to my own message it appears from what I can read on the forum they used sound deadener which I'm calling undercoating and then painted it black.  When I looked at Virginia Classic Mustangs that appears what they are doing and had pictures.  If anyone can confirm that please let me know.

Thanks Again,  Stephen

Bob Gaines

Quote from: svtakach62 on November 16, 2018, 07:18:46 PM
I am in the process of restoring a black and gold 66 Hertz GT350H and have a question.  In the rear wheel wells is their undercoating or was that an option or something a previous owner sprayed in?  It appears to be sprayed from the factory for sound deadening  or rust but I'm not sure.  The front fenders did not have the undercoating.  Anybody that owns one and can help the answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  Stephen
That sound deadener in the wheel well was typical to be applied at the factory. It was typical an all 66 Mustangs as well as Shelby. It was applied before the painting of the body so it got considerable body color overspray when the painter was painting the wheel well opening. For the benefit of others reading, only in the case of a black car would black paint be obvious in the wheel well. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: svtakach62 on November 16, 2018, 07:18:46 PM

We tend to describe the product applied at the factory as sound deadener (trunk quarter panels, rear wheel wells, interior door ....) and what dealers applied (to the undercarriage of the car - sloppy heavy ...) as undercoating

This may help explain a few of the details. Search is your fiend ;)

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=380.msg1914#msg1914

Hope this helps. In the future it will help know when the car was finished at San Jose or the first part of the Ford VIN (leave off the last three digits or provide it only to certain people in a PM with the last three digits gone if you choose) This will help us provide more specific and details answers to the questions since production practices, parts and other things changed during the production year

Welcome to the site
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge