News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ever seen one?

Started by Karguy, November 17, 2018, 12:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karguy

Inspected a local 66 yesterday and it had this rocker stripe. The owner was sure it was original and meant supercharged, no it's not supercharged.  Personally, I'm not buying any part of it.  Any thoughts out there?
Sorry, the picture is upside down not the car.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

JD

I'd heard/read that there were some of these graphics made, not sure if it was ever determined that they were implemented by the factory.  Was it '66 car 50 was the first supercharged and when this was "discussed" so to speak?

I thought on that car the "S" was at the end after the 350??  Others will know better.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bigfoot

Don't know anything about the graphic but a 65 was built with Thunderbird style tail lights and some blower data going back to the mid 60's associated with it.
Car is in PA.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on November 17, 2018, 12:25:30 PM
I'd heard/read that there were some of these graphics made, not sure if it was ever determined that they were implemented by the factory.  Was it '66 car 50 was the first supercharged and when this was "discussed" so to speak?

I thought on that car the "S" was at the end after the 350??  Others will know better.
JD is correct on the GT350S graphic.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Karguy

The car that these are on is 6s273.  A very interesting car but checkered past.  The gentleman who owns it claims to have repainted the car in the early 70s and these were the stripes that came in when he ordered them.
Karl
6s281
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

SFM6S087

To expand on what JD & Bob wrote - 6S051 was the prototype 1966 GT350 supercharged car, and the only one to get special side stripes. Those read, "GT350S".

I've never heard of a 1966 Shelby with GTS350 side stripes.

Steve

terlingua11

SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SFM6S087 on November 19, 2018, 04:13:34 AM
To expand on what JD & Bob wrote - 6S051 was the prototype 1966 GT350 supercharged car, and the only one to get special side stripes. Those read, "GT350S".

I've never heard of a 1966 Shelby with GTS350 side stripes.

Steve
Funny story is that Steve Yates the owner RIP of the car when it was restored had gathered parts for the impending restoration a NOS stripe kit was one of the items. A strange coincidence was that when he opened the stripe kit the S was included .I get to use my word for the day and it is serendipitous (occurring or discovered by chance in a happy or beneficial way). He had enough of the stripe kits over the years to realize the oddity. I have never come across another s in a stripe kit nor anyone else that I have heard of . What do you think the odds of that are ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Don Johnston

I have heard about the stripe kit story from Steve as well. I believe it may have come of the shelf from Branda, not sure. Also, he had a bunch of the posters made for the SAAC Convention in Portland.  There was the usually frenzie to get one and get CS to sign it.  I told Steve that since he restored the Shelby, helped me so much with my GT350 and had once lived in Hawaii, he should sign my copy of the poster.  Steve did and it hangs in the garage near my Shelby. 8)