Author Topic: SHELBY COBRA EXTREMELY RARE TRANSMISSION - $4450 (SAN ANGELO) Craigs List  (Read 2890 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Not mine, thoughts?

https://sanangelo.craigslist.org/pts/d/shelby-cobra-extremely-rare/6743755755.html

I HAVE AN EXTREMELY RARE EARLY BORG WARNER T-10 FOR A 1964 TO 1965 COBRA OR SHELBY GT350 . I HAVE POSTED PICTURE OF THE GEAR AND CLUSTER COUNT ON THE T-10B-1 CAST BODY WITH THE T10B-7 TAIL HOUSING. THE GEAR AND CLUSTER COUNT WAS THE ONLY ONES USED IN THE COBRA'S IN 1964-1965. I HAVE POSTED INFO RELATED TO IT IN THE PICTURES BUT FEEL FREE TO RESEARCH THE INFO FOR YOURSELF. I HAVE HAD THIS TRANSMISSION MANY YEARS AND NEVER USED IT. TIME FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO USE IT. THE GEARS WERE THE ONLY ONES WITH THE 9310 NICKEL ALLOY USED BY BORG-WARNER IN ITS DAY. $4,450.00 OR BETTER OFFER. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

davez

• View Profile
Re: SHELBY COBRA EXTREMELY RARE TRANSMISSION - $4450 (SAN ANGELO) Craigs List
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 08:26:25 PM »
He should probably open it up and count the teeth

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 11:16:03 PM »

Yes you are correct.
A T10B is not an uncommon transmission.
Had one OEM on a 64 Fairlane 271HP K Sport Coupe.
Can’t see where there is any reason to think this isn’t a garden variety T10B.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 10:12:28 AM »
I would doubt that it has any of the three higher nickel content gear sets. Early Cobras used Ford passenger car transmissions like a Galaxie with one of  the small V8 engines. Like many Ford subjects T10s by application is complicated because over all lengths, pilot lengths, and where shift mechanisms mounted varied by engine type and type of vehicle.  Shelby American registered several different standard and optional gear sets for the cast iron cases Galaxie small block configuration assemblies with racing organizations.

The various ‘high nickel’ gear sets didn’t get to Cobras in production until the change to aluminum main and tail shaft cases.

Cobra wise, all other Ford and General Motors (GM) (K set) cars excluded:

B set = standard passenger car gears, also used in Cobras 1962-63.

XCO-270 transmission set, origin unknown at this time. Cobra race.

J set = standard passenger car gears metallurgically, may or may not have gotten into new street Cobras.

K (high nickel) set = installed into aluminum cased Cobra transmissions, street and race, introduced sometime in the CSX22xx range it is believed, example CSX2246 had a K set originally, my black car CSX2310 was fitted with a K set. (The K gear ratios originated in some high performance GM cars.) Listed as the alternate gear set in the February 1964 Cobra reconfirmation of registration for roadsters and coupes with the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) race sanctioning organization.

L (high nickel) set = installed into aluminum cased Cobra transmissions, street and race.  Listed as the standard gear set in the February 1964 Cobra reconfirmation of registration for roadsters and coupes with the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) race sanctioning organization.

M (high nickel) set = introduced into aluminum cased Cobra transmissions, race and street, introduced sometime in the CSX23xx (CSX2321 has M gears) range  it is believed, it is believed that the later the chassis was the more likely it was fitted with a M set. Legends says they were called “Sebring” gears because SAI first used them in their race cars at the 1964 Sebring race.  The Feb. 6, 1964 reconfirmation of what was submitted to the FIA (with pictures of CSX2138 and the first Daytona Coupe included) shows L gear ratios standard and K ratios as an alternative. The M ratios are not listed at all on that document. SAI was into finishing late CSX22xx and early CSX23xx chassis at the time. My black car (CSX2310, end of March 1964) came with a K set.

The tough part to deal with is that chassis were not finished in order so it is meaningless to think that since car CSX2xxx was fitted with "such and such" that chassis CSX2xxx±1 or 2 or x received the same part or assembly. Early made parts and or assemblies can be in most any car but late made parts or assemblies cannot.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:23:25 AM by Dan Case »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 04:16:05 PM »
Thanks to Dan for generously sharing such specific information with us that do not know.

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 04:51:04 PM »
Dan, I would love to have just the knowledge you may have forgotten or not deemed worth remembering. Impressive stuff sir. Thanks for sharing.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 05:28:52 PM »
Thanks to Dan for generously sharing such specific information with us that do not know.

Dan, I would love to have just the knowledge you may have forgotten or not deemed worth remembering. Impressive stuff sir. Thanks for sharing.

You are welcome but most of the transmission information came from decades of study by Dick Roush (the Cobra transmission guru manual or automatic boxes) or the registration forms that Shelby American submitted and reconfirmed each race season. The whole commentary (Dick's data, Shelby FIA submittals, and my fill in what I could find is nine busy pages long and hard to digest quickly. Want a copy? Send me an e-mail address via PM.)

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 05:34:05 PM »

Forgetting isn't so much of an issue is taking for granted if you deal with any subject a lot it seems like common knowledge even if is not. Countless Cobra details don't / haven't gotten their own text or spreadsheet or slide show file from me until an owner asks specifically something like 'what went here originally?'  Steven Juliano and Dave Riley asked many hundreds of questions (over a dozen years plus) as they went through Steven's four 'keeper' cars for example. Owners that have bought basket case Cobras can ask more questions than you can imagine, something like 'what is this and where does it go?' one part at a time.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:20:46 PM by Dan Case »
Dan Case

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 08:39:18 AM »
Steve always told me (when he would ask a cobra detail question to dan case) that dan would ask steve (how deep do you want to go) on the details. Glad to see dan case & tim donovan (former owner of #98) cobra guys show up at the MCACN show last weekend to see steves mopars & visit with  steves family and friends. I had hosted a sat nite tribute dinner for steve (after the mcacn show) at the local german resturant behind the motels hoping to get 35 (my reservation guest #) for dinner party & more like 70 ford & mopar family & friends showed up & steve would have been proud at the turnout.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
   The "long tail" Galaxie transmission was NEVER used in a GT350. Besides the extra long tailshaft , the shifter placement being so far forward would require a new hole to be cut and super long lever to compensate. This didn't happen. As Dan mentioned , to be out of a Cobra , the iron version would be pretty much 260 only. The seller is knowledgeable but has used several liberties like nickle gears being Shelby only. Not true. A 75% price reduction would still be too expensive. ( Well IMHO anyway)
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.