News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

VIN Change on 70 Shelby’s

Started by Fastback66, November 22, 2018, 08:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastback66

When were the 70 Shelby VIN numbers changed? Was it prior to dealership delivery, or were the cars delivered as 69's to the dealership and later returned for a vin change? I'm just courios about the details.

Special Ed

Fall of 69 KK plant & all the paperwork  & some decals were changed over everything but the 69 body code #s on top shock towers under fenders.

Coralsnake

translation: Before dealer at Kar Kraft (what ED said)

Fastback66

The cars went from AO Smith to KK? Did all 69-70 Shelby's go through KK or just the 70's?

Coralsnake

Just the 1970 cars.

In case you're keeping track the third production facility for vintage Shelbys

LA Airport, Ionia and Brighton

Coralsnake

Smith declined to build the 1970s for various reasons. One of which, was non payment. This effectively ended the Shelby program .

Fastback66

Interesting, I guess this explains my spindles with the KK stamp. So Kar Kraft did the "big suspension" conversion as well?

Coralsnake

I dont believe the suspension changes had any relationship to the move. I dont think KK Brighton updated suspensions, it was strictly updating 1969s to get them sold.  The suspension changes happened much earlier and were related to the intoduction of larger tires. Pretty sure there are a few small suspension 1970s, but if not, I await correction.

acman63

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 22, 2018, 09:20:07 AM
Just the 1970 cars.

In case you're keeping track the third production facility for vintage Shelbys

LA Airport, Ionia and Brighton

Don't forget Venice before they moved to Airport
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Special Ed

KK never changed anything on suspension the KKX spindles were installed in dearborn plant late march on until the doza -a (69 b2 spindles) were used.  There are some early built unsold 69 shelbys converted to 70s  but most were later unsold 69 shelbys.  Read your invoice bottom rh side has stamped date your 70 was done at  KK plant usually fall winter 69.

SFM66H

Quote from: Fastback66 on November 22, 2018, 08:35:44 AM
When were the 70 Shelby VIN numbers changed? Was it prior to dealership delivery, or were the cars delivered as 69's to the dealership and later returned for a vin change? I'm just courios about the details.

I have read that every 1969 to 1970 Shelby VIN tag change had to witnessed by an FBI agent during the process.

Is that a known fact or an urban myth?
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

aj

FWIW...My 70 GT500  (481357) is small suspension car built fairly early...02/26/69.

Coralsnake

Cant find anything to support the FBI story, but its possible.

The Old Ranger

QuoteI have read that every 1969 to 1970 Shelby VIN tag change had to witnessed by an FBI agent during the process.

Is that a known fact or an urban myth?

Hoping to get a definitive answer to this very question, in 2015, I submitted a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the FBI. The official response was that there were no records pertaining to this subject.
   So this could mean that there was never an FBI agent on site, but yet it still leaves
the possibility that there was an agent on site who either did not file a report or did file a report which was ultimately lost or destroyed.

SFM66H

Tom,

Thanks for your response. That's crazy that you have already 'been there, done that.' Incredible!

Can you post a larger/more readable version of your attachment here, or could I PM you for a 150 dpi scan?

Thanks,
Kieth
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976