Author Topic: Correct Concours Spark Plug Wires  (Read 7022 times)

Mike James

• View Profile
Correct Concours Spark Plug Wires
« on: November 22, 2018, 09:25:24 PM »
Guys,
So I made the mistake of ordering a set of concours wires for a 67 428, but they must be for a Thunderbird because they are too short for the tall valve covers.  Anyways, we all learn from our mistakes.  Where is the best place to buy the correct ones? I see the Branda ones and also Mustangs unlimited appears to have some from Marti.  They don’t look the same, the Mustangs unlimited ones have an orange boot and say they are concours.  Anyone have experience with either and which ones are most correct?

CSX 3183

• View Profile
Re: Correct Concours Spark Plug Wires
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 11:15:44 PM »
Go with Marti and solve the problem, they will be correct!
Member of SAAC since 1977

6972boss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 11:26:22 PM »
I bought 2 sets of the Mustangs unlimited sets and they were way too short. Didn't try branda. Had to make my own to clear the 48 IDA webers

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 07:01:59 AM »
I bought the Marti set specifically for the 428. They fit exactly with the tall covers.  However, your clocking of the distributor incorrectly could cause an issue. Ford has it clocked about 130 facing from the front of the vehicle.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 07:06:11 AM »
Here is the set. These ABSOLUTELY fit.
https://www.kentuckymustang.com/product-p/5250.htm

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 09:19:07 AM »
I used to use the Marti wires until I tested the resistance of them with a multi meter.  Now I use Taylor wires. 

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »
Taylor doesn't make Concours style plug wires.  I agree that the resistance is high, like factory wires.

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 11:18:09 AM »
+1 on the Marti wires fitting perfectly over the '67 GT500 valve covers.
I have struggled ordering directly from Marti (it can take a very long time to get parts delivered for some reason) so I recommend ordering them from a vendor who has them in stock so you get them quickly.
       I have not had any issues with the performance of the Marti reproduction wires but I have read that it is best to separate the routing of the #7 and #8 spark plug wires running from the distributor to the plugs to eliminate "cross fire" of those plugs. (Note #7 and #8 are next to each other in firing order sequence.) Hopefully someone can comment if this truly is an issue and the best way to eliminate the problem?
Jeff

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 12:09:08 PM »
+1 on the Marti wires fitting perfectly over the '67 GT500 valve covers.
I have struggled ordering directly from Marti (it can take a very long time to get parts delivered for some reason) so I recommend ordering them from a vendor who has them in stock so you get them quickly.
       I have not had any issues with the performance of the Marti reproduction wires but I have read that it is best to separate the routing of the #7 and #8 spark plug wires running from the distributor to the plugs to eliminate "cross fire" of those plugs. (Note #7 and #8 are next to each other in firing order sequence.) Hopefully someone can comment if this truly is an issue and the best way to eliminate the problem?
Jeff
Not really a issue but the factory thought enough of a possible problem that Ford separates them. The Ford specified separated wire routing  is expected in concours competition or deductions result. It is covered in the assemplyline manuals. FYI the wire sets come to the engine plant already routed in the clips as left and right banks.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 03:47:25 AM »
Bob, I use the separators and the 7-8 wire are separated per Ford. Because of the miss fire issue with factory wires.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:35:37 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 08:00:09 AM »
Would that wire set from Marti be correct for all 67 GT500's or just Thermactor cars? Marti does have the same set for '68 GT500's. What about KR's?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 12:11:00 PM »
Bob, I use the separators and the 7-8 wire are seperated per Ford. Because of the miss fire issue with factory wires.
Yes that is how the assemblyline did it and we expect to see them in concours . That is the reason for Ford doing it. My point was that if you ask racers,mechanics etc. they will tell you it hasn't been a problem to run 7 and 8 parallel. I am not advocating doing but pointing out that it IS done all of the time in the real world without a consequence (non concours of course  ;) ). I have had the conversation many times over the years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 12:18:33 PM »
Would that wire set from Marti be correct for all 67 GT500's or just Thermactor cars? Marti does have the same set for '68 GT500's. What about KR's?
Early 67 did not have date code on the wires  . it started later 67 . In any event If you get the appropriate dated or undated wire set for a 67 GT500 from Marti and it has the rubber thermactor sleeves installed but your car did not come with thermactor simple carefully slice them off.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 01:22:47 PM »
Early 67 did not have date code on the wires  . it started later 67 . In any event If you get the appropriate dated or undated wire set for a 67 GT500 from Marti and it has the rubber thermactor sleeves installed but your car did not come with thermactor simple carefully slice them off.

I don't see an offer for dated wires of the Marti sets. A May '67 Ford production I would think should be dated?
Do the extra thermactor insulators have any value on a non-thermactor car?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »

I don't see an offer for dated wires of the Marti sets. A May '67 Ford production I would think should be dated?
Do the extra thermactor insulators have any value on a non-thermactor car?
I don't keep tract of marti date coded wires but I can say that a undated set of wires would trump a 3Q67 on a may built 67 Shelby.The insulators have no value on a non 67 GT500 thermactor .