News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Correct Concours Spark Plug Wires

Started by Mike James, November 22, 2018, 09:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 29, 2018, 03:32:10 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 29, 2018, 01:22:47 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 29, 2018, 12:18:33 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 29, 2018, 08:00:09 AM
Would that wire set from Marti be correct for all 67 GT500's or just Thermactor cars? Marti does have the same set for '68 GT500's. What about KR's?
Early 67 did not have date code on the wires  . it started later 67 . In any event If you get the appropriate dated or undated wire set for a 67 GT500 from Marti and it has the rubber thermactor sleeves installed but your car did not come with thermactor simple carefully slice them off.

I don't see an offer for dated wires of the Marti sets. A May '67 Ford production I would think should be dated?
Do the extra thermactor insulators have any value on a non-thermactor car?
I don't keep tract of marti date coded wires but I can say that a undated set of wires would trump a 3Q67 on a may built 67 Shelby.The insulators have no value on a non 67 GT500 thermactor .

The current set being offered by Kentucky Mustang does say 3Q67 on the wires. They responded to me that dated wires are not currently available from Marti and they don't offer all combinations.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

I'm learning here. The 1Q67, 2Q, 3Q, 4Q is not the month, it's the 1/4 of the year? What does the Q mean?

The repro's aren't numbered 1 through 8?

So my '67 GT500, May -June '67 build date should be a 2Q67?

My '68 GT350, February build should be 1Q68?

Both should be AUTOLITE caps?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

Yes, the wires are numbered as well as having the tag with "DIST" on the coil wire. The only modification I made was removing the wire insulators that are on ALL sets for vehicles with air injection.

Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 02, 2018, 10:29:49 AM
I'm learning here. The 1Q67, 2Q, 3Q, 4Q is not the month, it's the 1/4 of the year? What does the Q mean?

The repro's aren't numbered 1 through 8?

So my '67 GT500, May -June '67 build date should be a 2Q67?

My '68 GT350, February build should be 1Q68?

Both should be AUTOLITE caps?
Q stands for Quarter of the year .  The date is when the wires were made at the wire mfg. Add the logistics of when it was made into the apropriate wire sets ,sent to Ford engine plant, then when it was installed on a engine . Some more time for the completed engine being sent to the designated assembly plant . Finally being installed in a chassis. With all that said more likely a 4Q67 date would be more reasonable then a 1Q68 for a feb 68 finish build date at Ford. Yes the wire sets are typically numbered 1-8.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on November 26, 2018, 07:06:11 AM
Here is the set. These ABSOLUTELY fit.
https://www.kentuckymustang.com/product-p/5250.htm

I have a set of Marti wires from SEMO Mustang. They are marked SPW-18, 67-68 Shelby GT500. Is that the same set that you got from Kentucky Mustang? They are too short on #7 & # 8. #4 could be a little longer too.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CSX 3183

That was your mistake, buying ANYTHING from SEMO!
Member of SAAC since 1977

shelbydoug

Quote from: CSX 3183 on December 08, 2018, 07:23:29 PM
That may or may not be true but it doesn't answer the question. Marti wires are Marti wires. It shouldn't matter who sells them?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

I bought them from NPD if memory serves me correct. They are correct in length fit perfectly. If you didn't clock the distibutor as ford does, ( See the Osborne manual) you may have an issue with a couple wires. Otherwise they fit exactly correct.
Look at the pictures posted of my Shelby. Those are the Marti wires.

-Keith                                                                                                 

CSX 3183

Marti wires are Marti wires, correct, that is until the a------s at Semo   misread/mislabel, transpose numbers, any number of mistakes, resulting in you getting wrong product

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 08, 2018, 08:05:09 PM
Quote from: CSX 3183 on December 08, 2018, 07:23:29 PM
That may or may not be true but it doesn't answer the question. Marti wires are Marti wires. It shouldn't matte who sells them?
Member of SAAC since 1977

shelbydoug

Unfortunately, Marti's website doesn't identify the applications with a part number.

The Marti label on the wire set clearly states the application as for '67-8 Shelby GT500. It's just the #7 and #8 wires are stressed in reaching the plugs.

I was just trying to hear from others with the same application about how satisfied they are with the fit.

I would have been happier with another 3 to 4 inches on the #7 & #8 but not being an original owner of a 67 GT500 or of this car, I don't know what the original wires fit like. Maybe this set is an exact repro and they all fit this way?

I learned long ago NOT to judge other people by their shortcomings. That would be interpretive by me, i.e., judgemental. Miss-judging them would be more of a direct reflection on my own short comings.

This is not a mistake by SEMO Mustang according to the package label. Anyone else selling these sets would also go according to the packaging label and I would get the same results.

Kentucky Mustang doesn't list a part number either. Just the application.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on December 08, 2018, 09:30:25 PM
I bought them from NPD if memory serves me correct. They are correct in length fit perfectly. If you didn't clock the distibutor as ford does, ( See the Osborne manual) you may have an issue with a couple wires. Otherwise they fit exactly correct.

-Keith                                                                                                 

Yes nice fit but you have the special "caution fan" engine. I think it's different?

By any chance, do you still have the label from the package?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

As mentioned earlier, maybe clocking your distributor one tooth over would gain more length for those two wires?

shelbydoug

The clock is already ticking as late as it can get.  :D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

To tell if the distributor is indexed in the manifold correctly to the factory specs ,when the distributor is timed to factory specs the clip in the duel point distributor should be facing straight forward. For example  in the picture of reply #22 the distributor has been installed a few teeth off  from the factory installation . Sometimes people do it on purpose to access the rear clip easier as in the GT350. Other times it is installed with no concern if indexed as factory or not. You can sometimes have wire routing issues with factory cut wire sets if the distributor is indexed wrong .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 09, 2018, 10:14:42 AM
Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on December 08, 2018, 09:30:25 PM

-Keith                                                                                                 

Yes nice fit but you have the special "caution fan" engine. I think it's different?

By any chance, do you still have the label from the package?

I no longer have the label. However, it was specific application as you mentioned. Bob also told you they fit. The only variance was cutting the insulator off if you don't have air injection.
As with the original pictures of the vehicle, I explained I leaned on the fan shroud and cracked it. I used the "Caution Fan" decal to hold the shroud together while the fiberglass cured.
                                                                         -Keith