News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Radiator for GT350

Started by 68cobra427, November 23, 2018, 05:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68cobra427

What is the difference from the 67 Shelby GT350 radiator versus mustang. Is Shelby a saddle style mount only ?  If you have a early 67 that would mean it would have to have a C7ZE H2 tag built before Dec 66.

Troy

J_Speegle

No difference between a San Jose Mustang and a 67 GT350 both from the same application (automatic or manual) if they have the same tag. Radiators installed at the other two plants would not match as far as details

As far as the H2 tag - that would be correct if the car in question was a 4 speed equipped 67 GT350

remember these assemblies are dated also
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

Quote from: 68cobra427 on November 23, 2018, 05:47:54 PM
What is the difference from the 67 Shelby GT350 radiator versus mustang.

Is Shelby a saddle style mount only ? 

If you have a early 67 that would mean it would have to have a C7ZE H2 tag built before Dec 66.
Troy

If by "saddle" you mean the upside-down "U" shaped top brackets to hold the radiator to the radiator core support - that is a Big Block method, not small block.

Depends on the San Jose build date - if the car was built at San Jose prior to say mid-December-ish of '66 then yes.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on November 23, 2018, 06:10:03 PM
No difference between a San Jose Mustang and a 67 GT350 both from the same application (automatic or manual) if they have the same tag. Radiators installed at the other two plants would not match as far as details

As far as the H2 tag - that would be correct if the car in question was a 4 speed equipped 67 GT350

remember these assemblies are dated also
To add - Most people don't take into account that the radiators are identified in two different ways . The radiators used at the Dearborn and Metuchen plants are metal stamped with the C7 engineering numbers on the side strap .The SJ built Mustangs and Shelby's radiators had the engineering number embossed on a metal tag that was later soldered onto the top of the tank. Most often the tag was soldered onto the driver side of the top tank.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

For future reference for others

Red Arrow - Identification tag/label
Blue arrow - Makers mark & date
Green arrow - FoMoCo in a rectangle
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

68cobra427

cascade-classics

After reading multiple threads about radiators I have a few more questions

Would the tag for a 67 GT350 4 speed built in SJ on May 02 with extra cooling package would have a tag of C7ZE-R2?

There was also a comments about fins per inch.  I can only find 10 and 12 fins/inch available.  I assume it would be 12?

Does the extra cooling radiator have a 2 row or 3 row core?

Is there a difference in the number of rows across the radiator?

Thank you.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cascade-classics on February 28, 2019, 04:42:08 PM

Would the tag for a 67 GT350 4 speed built in SJ on May 02 with extra cooling package would have a tag of C7ZE-R2?

There was also a comments about fins per inch.  I can only find 10 and 12 fins/inch available.  I assume it would be 12?

Thank you.
Typically see H2 on MT 67 GT350.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cascade-classics

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 28, 2019, 04:54:44 PM

Thank you.
Typically see H2 on MT 67 GT350.

Okay, I just thought H2 was for build dates before Dec 1966.  Any thoughts on my other questions?

J_Speegle

Was the car built as part of the #2590 group order?

Have data from two cars from that group finished on May 4th and 5th with the C7ZE-U2  Dates from April and May 67 on those. 

Also have an example  built on the 1st and a couple two months before that period with C7ZE-T2. None of these cars were unrestored but they were not single findings either.  Dates from Feb - April 67 for this group and H2s with dates before that.

Hope this helps

Don't at the moment recognize an R2

cascade-classics

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 28, 2019, 07:05:43 PM

Was the car built as part of the #2590 group order?

Have data from two cars from that group finished on May 4th and 5th with the C7ZE-U2  Dates from April and May 67 on those. 

Also have an example  built on the 1st and a couple two months before that period with C7ZE-T2. None of these cars were unrestored but they were not single findings either.  Dates from Feb - April 67 for this group and H2s with dates before that.

Hope this helps

Don't at the moment recognize an R2.

If you mean DSO Special order group then no, this has a special order #2586.  The R2 code is from the list that AMK sells.

J_Speegle

Quote from: cascade-classics on February 28, 2019, 07:54:53 PM
If you mean DSO Special order group then no, this has a special order #2586.  The R2 code is from the list that AMK sells.

Yes the DSO and yes I see that a group of those cars were completed on the first and second.  One of those cars in that group and completion date as mentioned earlier has or had a C7ZE-T2. Don't have the date of the radiator to offer that also unfortunately

Would not let "what is available or for sale" guide you into assuming something is right for your specific car.

DRGT350

My car has R2, pretty sure original

Dave

DRGT350

J_Speegle

Quote from: DRGT350 on February 28, 2019, 10:23:30 PM
My car has R2, pretty sure original

Dave when was the car completed?