News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Cougar II

Started by 2112, November 25, 2018, 12:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I know there was discussion in the MCACN thread, but for reference, a separate thread would be helpful. Here is a start with a Hemmings article just posted;

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/11/25/lost-concept-cars-the-shelby-cobra-based-ford-cougar-ii/?refer=news

They have a video as well

Richstang

Interesting...the article states Ford claims to have designed the car before split window Corvette.
The earliest dated photos I can find are this group of pictures from June '63 in Ford's Design Studio.
Sure looks like they were comparing it to the '63 Corvette and Jaguar XK-E.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Side-Oilers

Having seen the Cougar II several times in person (but displayed by itself) the profile shot with the Sting Ray and E Type really shows how small the car is.

I'm accustomed to feeling dwarfed in parking lots by today's cars, but can't recall anytime recently when my C2 Vette has ever been larger than what's next to it.

(And wow, all three of those profiles are gorgeous!)
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

It's such a beautiful car. I would love to have the money to buy it, restore and enjoy it by driving it everywhere
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

propayne

Here are scans of an original press release that I have -

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Richstang

Thanks Phillip,

Is that Pete Brock standing in front of the Cougar II / csx2008?

September '63 is even later than the June '63 Ford studio photos. Seems far too late to beat the Corvette on the design side.
Anyone know when the '63 split window was introduced?

Here's the Bordinat Cobra / csx3001 in clay (or fiberglass buck) later in May '64.
Notice the door cut lines are similar to the Cougar II at this stage.

propayne

It doesn't look like Brock to me - just a model Ford or the photographer hired I would think.

Considering the press it generated plus a model kit (which has even been re-released through the years), the Cougar II seems to be one of the '60s more successful show cars.

- Phillip

propayne

It's funny, looking at my post of the press release above & re-reading the copy on the back of the photo I notice that Ford described the Cougar II as "operable".

- Phillip

Krelboyne

Pictures of the interior from 2017 in Detroit.

First time poster, long time lurker.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Quote from: propayne on November 26, 2018, 07:41:05 AM
It's funny, looking at my post of the press release above & re-reading the copy on the back of the photo I notice that Ford described the Cougar II as "operable".

- Phillip

I understand not wanting to restore it, but IMO, at least they should get it running under it's own power again.................even if the foot space is intolerable.

Richstang

Krelboyne;
Welcome to the forum and THANKS for posting the recent interior photos.
The interior doesn't look too bad for a 55 year old car.

Reading several articles on the car(s) it seems Jeff Burgy did a lot of detail work on the car(s) to make them presentable for displaying in the current condition we see. There were some broken hood vents and a missing tail light on one of the two cars when he uncovered them from their decades long slumber. (We can thank Jeff for helping to bring them out into the spotlight again.)

propayne

Yes, welcome Krelboyne and thanks for posting the pics.

Were you a part of the Cougar celebration at the Detroit show?

Looking at your interior shots, I actually see some foreshadowing of the '67 Cougar standard console and dash face.

Love the "COUGAR" on the steering wheel. Is that an early Cobra steering wheel?

- Phillip

Dan Case

Quote from: propayne on November 27, 2018, 07:09:11 AM
Is that an early Cobra steering wheel?

- Phillip

Yes, except for the custom center. CSX2001 through CSX2125 type. (Note: They were/are fragile and a large percentage got broken, repaired in all kinds of ways, or replaced with something else. Decades ago the owner of CSX2108 got real excited at the end of a drag strip run when he pulled back on his car's steering wheel during braking and all three spokes snapped and he had the wheel loose in his hand at speed. Fortunately there was a long run out area and he got the car stopped without further excitement.  A quick round trip to a welding shop and he was back on track later that day with a functional but not very pretty steering wheel assembly. The new design wheels for CSX2126 and later were much stronger and much more fatigue failure resistant.)
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

propayne

^^^ Yikes! That can't be a good feeling...

Thanks for all of the great info you've been providing Dan.

- Phillip