News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 Super Snake for sale?

Started by BGlover67, November 25, 2018, 10:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350hr

Lots of "creative" history being used. The Thunderbolt tires were ONE of several designs tested . According to "west coast lore" the original 428 expired during testing and so did a 428 replacement. The 427 ( "light weight Cobra" engine)was added because of it's proven durability, It was NOT 600 hp ( neither were the Lemans GT-40 MKII engines). The oil pan was changed to one that fit the Mustang chassis. ( Possibly built by John Morton) The original headers were built by "Derrington" at SAI . They featured ''merge" collectors like 427 Cobra side exhaust but were NOT 180* firing order as was suggested in the past. There is a magazine publication that shows them from underneath.
    Nitrogen was used in the tires to prevent pressure build up from increased tire temperatures. Nitrogen isn't as heat reactive as "air" is so when a pressure was set it stayed at that pressure instead of rising  by 6 or more PSI during the test. The car did NOT have whitewall tires on it when i saw it in the Mel Burns showroom in '67. I remember it having "white letter" Goodyears , but not which ones.
        Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

roddster

I have been wondering, over the past few months, why the SuperSnake was on stage at the various Mecom auctions (TV positioning).   Now I know why, thanks.

shelbydoug

Randy, do you remember which magazine had the picture of the original headers? That engine used a stock FE oil pan?

There was some issue that developed with the introduction of the CJ's in '68. Engines were failing under warranty and it was determined that the engine was pumping the pan dry. I'm surprised this wasn't dealt with sooner by Ford? It couldn't have been a CJ only issue.

Running 500 miles flat out could have caused an oiling issue with a stock oil pan.

You can make a case for the light weight 427 being proven in competition but are you going to tell me the GT40's ran stock FE oil pans?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

Doug ,
        It was Motor Trend IIRC or it could have been Car Life.  The pan "started" as a stock FE pan but had some "bustles" added. Not an Aviad. I have it "somewhere" in my "museum" of stuff. So Cal had SO many "hot rod" businesses back then it was incredible SAI was about 40 miles away , HMS 25 miles away and you always went by Mel Burns on the way back just to see what was "new". We had OVER 40 local speed shops within a 20 mile radius besides OffenHauser , Edelbrock Weiand , Dougs, Cyclone, Jardine, Hooker, Belanger , Cragar, Casler, Moon, Valley Head , Mondello's , Ansen , Eelco , Buddy Barr, Isky , Engle, Erson, Racer Brown, Mickey Thompson , and many more.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Quote from: gt350hr on November 26, 2018, 05:22:16 PM
   We had OVER 40 local speed shops within a 20 mile radius besides OffenHauser , Edelbrock Weiand , Dougs, Cyclone, Jardine, Hooker, Belanger , Cragar, Casler, Moon, Valley Head , Mondello's , Ansen , Eelco , Buddy Barr, Isky , Engle, Erson, Racer Brown, Mickey Thompson , and many more.
   Randy

Sigh,    :-[

I have 6 starbucks and 9 cell phone stores in my area.

Richstang

Doug ,
        It was Motor Trend IIRC or it could have been Car Life.  The pan "started" as a stock FE pan but had some "bustles" added. Not an Aviad. I have it "somewhere" in my "museum" of stuff. So Cal had SO many "hot rod" businesses back then it was incredible SAI was about 40 miles away , HMS 25 miles away and you always went by Mel Burns on the way back just to see what was "new". We had OVER 40 local speed shops within a 20 mile radius besides OffenHauser , Edelbrock Weiand , Dougs, Cyclone, Jardine, Hooker, Belanger , Cragar, Casler, Moon, Valley Head , Mondello's , Ansen , Eelco , Buddy Barr, Isky , Engle, Erson, Racer Brown, Mickey Thompson , and many more.
   Randy

Take a look at the "Drag Strip" August 67 issue. The is an underside photo in there. (I only have a small photo copy of the issue)
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on November 26, 2018, 06:08:18 PM
     Doug ,
   Randy

Take a look at the "Drag Strip" August 67 issue. The is an underside photo in there. (I only have a small photo copy of the issue)
That is a obscure and hard to find edition. It took me about 5 years of looking before I found my copy of Drag Strip magazine.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 26, 2018, 06:21:55 PM

That is an obscure and hard to find edition. It took me about 5 years of looking before I found my copy of Drag Strip magazine.

Bob had it right between the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail in his basement.  It's pretty crazy what they used to sell at the SAAC swap meets back in the '70's. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

SFM66H

Quote from: BGlover67 on November 26, 2018, 07:26:11 PM
Bob had it right between the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail in his basement.  It's pretty crazy what they used to sell at the SAAC swap meets back in the '70's.

::)   :o   ;D
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

Bigfoot

Nice piece.
Gonna have to pass on this one.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Side-Oilers

Doug ,
   Randy

Plus...Halibrand, Hedman, Traco (oops sorry, wrong engine brand!) and the great Bill Stroppe too.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

427heaven

Performance auto warehouse- Frank Kurtis race cars- Dick Landy automotive- Hawaii racing= Glendale speed shop- Service center- Aviad pans- Pete Jackson gear drives and the list goes on and on! :)

sd427

Wasn't there a piston company in El Segundo, Arias???

Side-Oilers

Yep.  Plus, Ed Iskendarian's original shop was about a mile from my house, as a kid (Culver City, CA.)  And, you could occasionally hear Traco testing Chevy engines from just down the street.  Two-mile-long and arrow-straight Jefferson Blvd out front was our nightly street race venue. Good times.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

I love Isky Red Zone lifters.

Also use J&E Pistons, some  Venolia, Carrillo Rods, all from that area I believe.

Is ARP there too?