News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hmmm...

Started by Coralsnake, November 26, 2018, 06:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

Dear David,

First, let me begin by stating that no one here is trying to make fun of you.  I honestly believe that you meant no harm with your eBay ad.  Unfortunately it seems that someone mislead you into believing that this wooden shift knob was original equipment for a 1968 Shelby, or that it was an option available through Ford over the counter.  When Randy, one of our most veteran members (GT350HR), says that he personally knows the owner of the company that made them for the Shelby American aftermarket catalog (that I shared), you best believe him. 

Someone apparently took an original Ford service part box that once held an original 1968 knob, and slipped in this nice wooden knob, encased it in plastic and way over charged you.  f you have any questions about 1968 Shelby's, the first resource you should visit without a doubt should be the Coralsnake website.  There is a section that describes the correct shift knobs for all 1968's, and you can see what a S8MS-7213-B really should look like:

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/interior.HTML  (About half way down the page)

Here is another eBay auction for the correct version of an NOS S8MS-7213-B  from one of our member's Bob Perkins.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nos-1968-Shelby-S8MS-7213-A-4-Speed-shift-knob-Mint-in-Autolite-Box-/251634082718

It's a really cool shift knob, and very collectable.  You just have it overpriced by a factor of ten.

Here are some more pictures of the two that I own.  One of them is atop the Hurst aftermarket shifter currently installed in my car.  Yes, it's incorrect for my 1967 Shelby, but I like it.   ;)

The second is loose, so I took some more pictures.  Both are identical, except one has a slightly larger mounting diameter hole.  Otherwise, they appear exactly identical.  I also have a leather wrapped version, as seen in the catalog I shared previously, but it's pretty rough.  (I'd love to find a nice version of that if anyone has one for sale?)

You are more than welcome to stick around this forum and learn from the folks who wrote the book about this hobby.  I learn something new everyday, that's why I frequent it daily now for over four years. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Coralsnake

David just got kicked in the balls, give him a minute to recover.  :o

Thanks for coming in the forum. As you have already noticed there is no room for fabrication or tall tales here.

The auction posted for car # 3604 does not have the same shift knob you are selling. The knob on that car is the original version that belongs in the box you have. I would respectfully disagree with the sellers estimate of its value.

That doesnt change the fact that the knob in David's auction is worth $50.

Coralsnake

I think most people here know, I usually don't come unarmed:

The original Shelby parts listing, does list the knob, The note says added 5/13/68, but original, unrestored cars indicate the knob was never used in production.

Coralsnake

The reason there is no "top drawing" by ACSCO is the emblem was changed for the Cougars. West Coast Cougars offers the Cougar version as a reproduction.

Coralsnake

Lastly, here is a close up of # 3604, the car cited above.

Its a terrible example, because the car has been restored and because it has some other very serious issues (as noted in the auction photos). I would not use this car as example of anything "original"

This appears to be the S8MS-7213-B knob.

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 01, 2018, 07:21:43 AM
David just got kicked in the balls, give him a minute to recover.  :o

Thanks for coming in the forum. As you have already noticed there is no room for fabrication or tall tales here.

The auction posted for car # 3604 does not have the same shift knob you are selling. The knob on that car is the original version that belongs in the box you have. I would respectfully disagree with the sellers estimate of its value.

That doesnt change the fact that the knob in David's auction is worth $50.

;D  (The first sentence)

Pete sums it right here

acman63

Ive had a couple of those knobs over the years . was sold through Shelby Autosport aftermarket program.  The correct knobs with the snake and clear overlay didn't last very long on these cars. Think they had an issue with the insert coming out ,  At one time I had 3 used ones in my bins that were missing the insert
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

propayne

Here are some details of the technical drawing scans that I have.

I am no expert and am just posting these in the hope that it will add to the discussion.

As Pete says, the basic shifter handles were used in the 1968 XR7-G Cougar (also modified at A.O. Smith) and the 1970 Cougar Eliminator with the auto transmission (the manual got a Hurst shifter I believe).

Unless new info has come to light that I'm not aware of, I don't believe the wooden shifter knob for the manual transmission was done in time to install in the G Cougars and was sold over the counter.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

propayne

And here are some details of the manual knob drawings.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

BGlover67

Pete,

You are spot on in all points,.  I do disagree that the knob he has is collectable, at least to folks who collect items from the Shelby/Autosport catalogs.  It is worth up to $300.  The correct knob also came in Cougar, Cobra and Mustang configurations.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Chris Thauberger

Wouldn't the ethical response be to remove the ad or a least adjust the description/price?
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

David68Obee

Thank you again for all your responses. I see Chris posted as I was typing. I have added dramatically to the listing the first time Pete and I corresponded.  Thank you.

Thank you Brian for Curiously providing me the some information and even an approximate value instead of being defensive. I have only been trying to find out what I have.  Not dispute the accuracy of anyone elses parts. Thank you for showing me a Ebay listing of that original one also. Thank you very much sir for the effort you put in for me. I will stick around. Thank you. Phillip Thank you for your time posting the clear blue prints. I've learned a lot with a little bit of help.
Oddly enough someone else has had a very similar experience as myself. The similarities are staggering in the general "odds of this happening"
This person also replied to my Ebay listing. I withheld his name. I don't see him on here unless he uses a handle.
Enjoy.

DAVE,
HERE ARE THE PHOTOS OF THE SHIFTER KNOB THAT MY FRIEND HAS. YES , I EMAILED PETE ABOUT THIS COINCIDENCE. I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF FORD/SHELBY PLACED THE KNOBS IN THE FORD BOX OR IF THE OWNERS DID SWITCH OUT THE KNOBS WHEN THE NEW ONE WAS PURCHASED, WHICH IS QUITE COMMON BACK THEN. BUT IT SURE IS COINCIDENTAL THAT BOTH KNOBS, NUTS AND BOXES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME AND UNUSED NOS. I HAVE CORRESPONDED WITH PETE FOR MANY YEARS WITH QUESTIONS PERTAINING TO MY DAD'S 68 SHELBY GT500. I HOPE THAT HE GIVES THIS COINCIDENCE SOME THOUGHT AND CAN SOME HOW COME UP WITH A SOLUTION. I REMEMBER WHEN DOING THE RESEARCH I FOUND PHOTOS OF THE SAME KNOB WAS USED ON THE VINTAGE SHELBY RACE TEAM TRUCK HAULER. YOU HAVE A VERY NICE PIECE. REGARDS,

David68Obee

Wow interestingly enough I just received this Email on my listing.
Does anyone have a (Ford Master Parts book (1975) ?
The Email:
I don't normally contact an EBay seller unless I'm interested in their item.

I have been collecting CS Shelby items since 1969. Also, a former CS Shelby Autosport dealer.
The item you have was sold as a Ford service part for a very brief time. The part and the box
with the part number is CORRECT. If you look in the Ford Master Parts book (1975),
this part number went obsolete very early on.

Actually, one of the coolest COBRA walnut shift knobs offered.

Coralsnake

I am aware of the other knob in an original box and gave the same response. What are the odds? It happens quite a lot, I wont go into details, but passing of reproduction parts as originals is rampant in the hobby.

If you do stay on the forum, I would guess you will see some pookie references. He is certainly not the only one committing these acts. This eBay seller has a long history of exactly such sheenanigans.

I have several versions of the MPC. It does not show a picture of the knob.

I am not accusing you or your friend of any misdeeds. I do appreciate the fact that Dave is open to the information about his part. I know others may use his listing as reference later. Best of luck.