Author Topic: Hmmm...  (Read 13639 times)

David68Obee

• View Profile
Re: Hmmm...
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2018, 11:36:16 PM »
 I left out A point you may or may not choose to believe.
 I did search for a value on what I have before I listed those. I was honest why I did not do a .99 cent auction, I did not come here to pull off some kind of scam, yes I would have sold that for 2300 if it turned out to be worth that to someone. Yes i'm looking for exactly what I have and a sense of rarity and value and not here just to start trouble, yes I did put those out in Ebay for the world to kinda just to see. I haven't seen a over the counter Shelby script oil pan go through Ebay, but I don't look every day.
Thank you again I just wanted my original intentions to be clear.
I also do know a few things about cars, but I'm not Shelby expert.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2018, 03:31:56 AM »
Pete Thank you very much for the introductions.
    I sincerely apologize for offending In any way I may have. I understand losing your patience with this topic and myself trying to get exact information on this exact shift knob.  You have done what you can to educate me Pete. Thank you. I meant you no disrespect, at the same time I do acknowledge I may have shown little. I do apologize.
    I’m really very sorry my meaning of your Story Brian was lost in my listing. I totally see how it could be. I told your story to show how things can end up where they don't belong. Not in any way to justify mine belongs in that box. I felt we were getting along in this topic. I again thank you for your time and the patients you’ve shown me.
 Mr Tim Lea.
 I am sorry I thought our conversations on Ebay held so little information that I could use to identify my shift knob and that I did not know your name to address to properly. Sincerely, Thank you for your time sir.
 This whole thing has never been about the money. JR would be proud that I didn't sell it. The Oil pan and the shift knob has again done the same things it has done for me in the past. Introduced me to new people, sold some stuff , I even made a new friend and possible new customer.
 I will pull my add. I will NOT sell the shift knob (unless someone wants it REAL bad) lol
 At the same time it will remain with this box in my little case to be found when I pass and whomever is left here on the SAAC forum can have this discussion again some day.
 I hold no ill will or thoughts to any negative jabs like getting “kicked in the balls” ..lol.. all’s good.
 I totally know I was walking into a lion's den with a just a chair and no whip, and whatever you think of me I feel I lived through it and I'm gonna sit down on this chair and watch the Loins.
Again Thank you all.
 Sincerely David Obee

P.S. Thank you Brian for showing me your knob ( love the “HEY DAVID” note) Exactly like mine with the Shelby And the Cobra script.
  Unless I have missed it, I have not seen or been shown this Exact shift knob with both scripts in a catalog or in it's original packaging (rare indeed) OK I GET IT it doesn’t go in the box I have. But in the future if someone runs across that exact knob in a catalog I'd love to have that picture and description.
Thank you.

Are you kidding?  At this point I have to assume you are either trying to goad someone into an argument, or you are just a little slow.  Either way, I'm done.  I DID show you the exact shift knob in a catalog.  Will it make you feel better if I dig up a picture of the original ASCO box?  It shouldn't, because either way the box you have is still wrong!  Get over it already.  Obviously your friend JR didn't know as much about classic Mustang/Shelby parts as you thought he did.  :o
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2018, 09:33:40 AM »
I am guessing to this, but David's knob says "SHELBY COBRA" and the knob in the catalog picture says "COBRA"

It doesn't change the assessment. All the "flag" knobs were made for resale and were not production parts.  They were all made by ACSCO (AC Stearns Company).

We know what the knob looks like that belongs in the box, because there are many examples. You only have one style knob per part number. You can put anything you want in that box and that doesn't make it an original S8MS knob. There is a reason those knobs have value, because they are rare.

The flag knobs are not rare.

I am not sure you will find a Ford part number for an "over the counter" knob. There may be a catalog ID and I am sure it wont take long for someone to find it.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:36:27 AM by Coralsnake »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »
Here's another point to consider...

I have restored like maybe a dozen 1968 Shelbys. There are others who also restore these cars and spend 100s of thousands of dollars on the restorations. I have judged for 35 years and not once has anyone ever tried to use that knob at a national event.

Do you really suppose they would all restore their cars with the incorrect shift knobs?

I guess not one of them has ever thought to tool up and make some "correct" knobs to set their GT500 KR apart from all others?

David68Obee

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2018, 01:07:47 PM »
Yes your GUESSING what i'm saying is correct. I have said it over and over and over.
EXACTLY the same.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2018, 01:10:50 PM »
   I'm just an old guy who grew up "in the day" that noticed when things like this appeared in the 'new" catalogs. MG Mitten, Autoworld ,  and Villem B. Haan sold the knobs like that too in their respective catalogs. The knob was never an assembly line item PERIOD. They were a popular add on .
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2018, 01:40:28 PM »
Debating the nuances of over the counter knobs is best left to others.

8)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2018, 01:51:44 PM »
In the face of the the years of knowledge expertise here he is still not convinced? That is down right ignorant. I guess I'd be butt hurt too if someone screwed me out of 2300.00 for knob that is worth 45.00. I certainly hope you were provided complementary Vaseline and a kiss with that purchase.
                                                                         -Keith

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2018, 03:20:21 PM »
   The experts are simply trying to berate the OP and the nice old gentleman (rip)  that he bought the knob from. Maybe the nice old gentleman (rip) bought the knob from Pookie! Come to think of it Pookie has been saying he bought stuff from "the estate of a long time Ford collector". HMMMM
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »
Can someone fill me in here as I am late to this post being 5 pages long? The OP post by Pete and the #1 reply from Brian shows a correct "flat 3" 68 Deluxe knob used on 68 Shelbys albeit in horrible irreparable condition IMHO for 59.95. Then 5 pages of after market knobs and talk of a 2300 dollar knob?.  Gary

BTW a couple of my NOS knobs the top being a lunch pail 68 item out of the Dearborn plant I believe.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:15:31 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
That style knob has not been part of the discussion.

The discussion was about over the counter knobs and the original S8MS / Cobra knob intended for production

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2018, 02:29:38 PM »
To be fair to Shelbymann1970, the striped ball came up first, which was (at that time) akin to the astonishment with the second listing price, which took off--

Hmmm...
« on: November 26, 2018, 06:13:34 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shelby-1968-ORIGINAL-4-Speed-Shift-Knob-Wood-Grain/392180854252?hash=item5b4fccedec:g:gpQAAOSwUWtb~EV1

I guess we should start a 'Hmmm Hmmm...', as in 'Hmmm(2)...', thread to discuss the trash-found curiosity, which I also found... interesting.

Which one of Shelbymann1970's is "more" correct?... or was there more than one correct?... or what was their application?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:38:23 PM by TJinSA »
Tom Kubler
6S296

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2018, 07:54:12 AM »
To be fair to Shelbymann1970, the striped ball came up first, which was (at that time) akin to the astonishment with the second listing price, which took off--

Hmmm...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shelby-1968-ORIGINAL-4-Speed-Shift-Knob-Wood-Grain/392180854252?hash=item5b4fccedec:g:gpQAAOSwUWtb~EV1

I guess we should start a 'Hmmm Hmmm...', as in 'Hmmm(2)...', thread to discuss the trash-found curiosity, which I also found... interesting.

Which one of Shelbymann1970's is "more" correct?... or was there more than one correct?... or what was their application?
many years ago I tried finding out as much as I could about shift knobs. Chris Simon(Lengendary) has so many of them plus a nice collection of 68.5 cars educated me on them. From what I have seen so far the FLAT "3" were found on 68s. Now when did it transform over to the early round "3" I still do not know. Bob Perkins did an article on the round 3 type changing to a darker wood around Jan of 1969(3rd version).  The deluxe above was also used on 69-70 Shelbys at least into June by factory error. I have the original blue stripe knob off of 2916(?) that was June 1969  built. Thanks for clarifying in that when I came late to this topic that the OP anf Reply #1 go straight to a worn out 68 deluxe blue striped knob. That is what confused me at first. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2018, 11:57:28 AM »
I have 2  of those knobs  gladly sell  both for  $1500...…. for the pair  .  but  reality is that they are worth about .99 c

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2018, 12:58:07 PM »

Hmmm...

many years ago I tried finding out as much as I could about shift knobs. Chris Simon(Lengendary) has so many of them plus a nice collection of 68.5 cars educated me on them. From what I have seen so far the FLAT "3" were found on 68s. Now when did it transform over to the early round "3" I still do not know. Bob Perkins did an article on the round 3 type changing to a darker wood around Jan of 1969(3rd version).  The deluxe above was also used on 69-70 Shelbys at least into June by factory error. I have the original blue stripe knob off of 2916(?) that was June 1969  built. Thanks for clarifying in that when I came late to this topic that the OP anf Reply #1 go straight to a worn out 68 deluxe blue striped knob. That is what confused me at first. Gary
I thought I would clarify that although there is evidence to support the 69/70 Shelby mistake shift knob scenario circumstances indicate it was more the exception then the rule. I would hate to see owners get the wrong idea because the racing stripe knob is not the one meant to be used on the 69/70 Shelby.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby