Author Topic: Original Cobras - how tall can a driver be and fit?  (Read 9862 times)

JWH

• View Profile
Original Cobras - how tall can a driver be and fit?
« on: November 26, 2018, 07:06:01 PM »
I recently had the chance to visit CSX8011 that is for sale at a dealership here in Colorado. It is a very nice looking car but I found that after pretzeling myself into the driver's seat, my knees were snug up against the lower dash. It has me wondering how tall one could be and still fit comfortably into an original Cobra? I assume that AC built all cars to the same dimension?

427heaven

• View Profile
Re: Original Cobras - how tall can a driver be and fit?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:01:28 PM »
Well Dan Gurney was 6-4 and folded in and out, the key word is COMFORTABLE it had to have been a bitch to sit in it for hours and driving it like the devil was catching you. :-\

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 09:26:44 PM »
I recently had the chance to visit CSX8011 that is for sale at a dealership here in Colorado. It is a very nice looking car but I found that after pretzeling myself into the driver's seat, my knees were snug up against the lower dash. It has me wondering how tall one could be and still fit comfortably into an original Cobra? I assume that AC built all cars to the same dimension?

I believe at least some of the 4000/8000 had the back bulk head modified so the seat can go back further compared to a 3000 Cobra. Your fit will be even more cramped in a vintage car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 09:28:15 PM »
Otto Werlin bought a 260 Cobra brand new and drove it until he was well in to his 70s.   he was 6 feet 9
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

prototypefan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 09:59:27 PM »
I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam...….regularly do 1,000 mile week long drives in a 3000 car.....did over 8,000 miles in the last two years
A couple of the 2000 car guys we drive with are at least my height and do the same

Is it comfortable? Probably not if you're comparing modern terms....but if you're a car nut you just get in and drive
I've never felt uncomfortable......maybe I'm a car nut :)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 10:05:11 PM »
I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam...….regularly do 1,000 mile week long drives in a 3000 car.....did over 8,000 miles in the last two years
A couple of the 2000 car guys we drive with are at least my height and do the same

Is it comfortable? Probably not if you're comparing modern terms....but if you're a car nut you just get in and drive
I've never felt uncomfortable......maybe I'm a car nut :)

I'm 6'1" and had the seat track in my Kirkham 427 moved back about an inch.  Gave me some space between my right knee and the dashboard. Very comfortable seating position.

Car nuts also don't mind driving a roadster with no windows, top or radio...plus a crazy-loud exhaust and a blast furnace of an engine serving as the always-on heater.   Yeah, baby!!!
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 10:08:18 PM »
Jim, I remember meeting Otto once at one of the gatherings at the museum up in Boulder some years back -- he was a tall drink of water.

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 01:31:26 AM »
Shelby used 427 type foot boxes on all of the early Continuation Series Cobras, CSX4000, CSX7000 and CSX 8000 Series Cobras. The 427 foot boxes are a lot more cramped than an original 289 type foot boxes, especially in width and pedal position.

SunDude

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 06:49:34 AM »
Let me know if you need someone 5'10" to try one on for size. I'd be happy to volunteer.  ;)
Like my father, I have just two emotions: Rage and Supressed Rage.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 07:07:50 AM »
Otto Werlin bought a 260 Cobra brand new and drove it until he was well in to his 70s.   he was 6 feet 9

A nice write up on Otto for anyone who is interested:

https://www.denverpost.com/2008/12/12/ski-chief-loved-loveland/
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 08:58:02 AM »

I agree with CSX2259 in reference to the narrowness of the 427 footbox. It definitely takes some getting use to.
I know to gain a small amount of additional legroom some owners have removed some padding from the seat cushion area, allowing the driver to sit lower. Others have tilted the front of the seat up to gain what they claim is a better seating position. I cannot say that either option actually works as my six foot frame fits perfectly in my CSX.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 08:58:59 AM »
I spent about 5 hours in the passenger seat of CSX2126 in '77 or '78. Besides having my spine permanently twisted to the right, my right butt cheek left with a permanet tatoo like bruise, the glue on my sneakers melted.

I thought there was a barbecue cooking chicken nearby but when I got out of the car (head first) I couldn't hear and the left sneaker came apart. Puma's too.

You can fit, but so does a sardine in a can. Depends on what you mean by fit?

As a driver you need to learn to tap dance, because that's how you work the pedals. You just move your toes.

The cars are made for mad dogs and Englishmen with slight builds and jockey type physical attributes. There's a reason only a small number were ever sold. It wasn't the price.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 09:01:32 AM »
all we can say they are certainly beautiful and we will leave it at that....
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 09:28:23 AM »

Everything is relative. Another opposum thinks there is nothing better looking then another opposum.

The last one I had was hanging upside down by it's tail pulling the garbage can cover off with it's hands. I thought I had run into Dracula?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 09:32:04 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 10:08:22 AM »
we have no opposums....lol

Everything is relative. Another opposum thinks there is nothing better looking then another opposum.

The last one I had was hanging upside down by it's tail pulling the garbage can cover off with it's hands. I thought I had run into Dracula?
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy